Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 04:00 PM

342 posts, read 912,819 times

Advertisements

I recently received a promotion and will be relocating to the Providence area from Virginia by December. This is pretty short notice and I need some advice?

What neighborhoods should I look into and what neighborhoods should I stay away from? Looking for a large apartment in a walkable neighborhood, close to basic shopping. Also what alternatives should I look into outside of providence, I will be working in Southern Mass. Should I consider Pawtucket, Lincoln, or Attleboro?

Also if you know of any properties that are pet friendly in good neighborhoods please post, Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 07:54 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
You've asked a very open ended question. You'll have to provide much more information about yourself so posters can know what your frame of reference is before they can provide you with tailored advice for you.

What is your budget?

What qualifies a neighborhood as good in your estimation?

What qualifies a neighborhood as bad?

Are you open minded about race and socio-economic status?

Is it safe to assume you are single without kids, since you did not mention anything regarding either kids or a partner?

Do you care if you are near good restaurants?

What kind of pet? Some landlords who will accept cats will not accept dogs.

Do you generally think of suburbs as walkable?

What we do know: you say you want a large apartment in a walkable neighborhood close to basic shopping, so one can glean that you don't want a car-centric place. That probably puts you in Providence, possibly the east side or the Armory, but not in the Attleboros or Lincoln. Maybe Oak Hill in Pawtucket.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
What we do know: you say you want a large apartment in a walkable neighborhood close to basic shopping, so one can glean that you don't want a car-centric place. That probably puts you in Providence, possibly the east side or the Armory, but not in the Attleboros or Lincoln. Maybe Oak Hill in Pawtucket.
Downtown would be a good option, too. There's nothing I'd call both walkable and desirable north of Providence.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,458,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Downtown would be a good option, too. There's nothing I'd call both walkable and desirable north of Providence.
There's not much housing stock downtown and what there is for rent is expensive and dog unfriendly, and competitive to rent. I think College Hill is less expensive than downtown, though others may disagree.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
What's basic shopping? Grocery store, Petsmart/Petco?

What kind of dog?

Do you have a car?

What's your budget?

Where in southern Mass is your to be office?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:30 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
I recently received a promotion and will be relocating to the Providence area from Virginia by December. This is pretty short notice and I need some advice?

What neighborhoods should I look into and what neighborhoods should I stay away from? Looking for a large apartment in a walkable neighborhood, close to basic shopping. Also what alternatives should I look into outside of providence, I will be working in Southern Mass. Should I consider Pawtucket, Lincoln, or Attleboro?

Also if you know of any properties that are pet friendly in good neighborhoods please post, Thanks!!
Avoid Pawtucket. Answering some of the other's questions would help us narrow it down for you.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:13 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post

Cumberland, Lincoln, North Attleboro or Attleboro, Swansea, Seekonk, Somerset, Taunton ... etc.
Pawtucket: no way.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:20 PM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Cumberland, Lincoln, North Attleboro or Attleboro, Swansea, Seekonk, Somerset, Taunton ... etc.
Pawtucket: no way.
I'd scratch Taunton from that list., unless you're talking East Taunton maybe. But of course it all depends on where in MA the OP is working.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:34 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
It's worth mentioning, though, that none of these places are even remotely walkable, except I guess maybe downtown Attleboro, but does anyone even live there? Also maybe Taunton, but I've heard that's kind of a hole (never actually been there myself). If walkability is key, it really has to be Providence.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'd scratch Taunton from that list., unless you're talking East Taunton maybe. But of course it all depends on where in MA the OP is working.

There are some nice parts of Taunton out toward Benjamin's Restaurant, along that area (not the city area) and off Rt. 44. But I agree, the OP hasn't given much info on budget, job location etc. and answers to his question cover a very wide area; even some coastal MA areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island