Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:02 PM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times

Advertisements

Winter driving was one reason why I was giving suggestions closer in to the city where your husband would be working.
Best of luck to you in finding a place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 12:37 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Winter driving was one reason why I was giving suggestions closer in to the city where your husband would be working.
Fair point. Our winters are very unpredictable and one year can yield a ton of snow and the next, barely none - but if you're not used to driving in snow, closer to work and in a non-rural area can be an advantage.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:09 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Snow is a non-issue for crying out loud. If anything meaningful snow happens over 6 or 7", schools and businesses will close or extend starting times.

The roads on a normal snow day are cleared by 10 am or so -- and the OP has no children in school. Agree, it is not wise to live out in the boonies, but it is nonsense to worry about snow in general.

Certainly the OP and husband are very astute, and will make whatever decision is good for them in a nice neighborhood within proximity to the husband's office.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:04 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Fairlawn, Oak Hill and Pawtucket are definitely not for the OP and her family.

A good week or more is always recommended for relocating families giving them time to look around. An experienced Realtor with relocation experience is high recommended as well.
Care to elaborate?
I like Pawtucket and would not hesitate to live in many of the neighborhoods. I made an offer on a house in the Quality Hill Historic District once upon a time, a neighborhood which doesn't get any attention here on this forum in spite of the fact that it is lovely. And it is obvious to anyone who lives in the area that Oak Hill is worthy of consideration.

That some posters insist on badmouthing Pawtucket for reasons unknown are baffling. Pawtucket has a lot to like. But the OP doesn't seem to be leaning that direction.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:54 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I like Pawtucket and would not hesitate to live in many of the neighborhoods. I made an offer on a house in the Quality Hill Historic District once upon a time, a neighborhood which doesn't get any attention here on this forum in spite of the fact that it is lovely. And it is obvious to anyone who lives in the area that Oak Hill is worthy of consideration.

That some posters insist on badmouthing Pawtucket for reasons unknown are baffling. Pawtucket has a lot to like. But the OP doesn't seem to be leaning that direction.
Quality Hill borders a lot of sketchiness (and contains a little bit of it), and its potential as a desirable area is marred by I95 slicing right through it.

Let's not get into another argument over Pawtucket, for good or bad. It's clearly not what the OP is seeking.

Last edited by massnative71; 05-07-2016 at 07:21 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 07:16 PM

3,799 posts, read 2,698,580 times
Well, we agree that I-95 had a negative impact upon the many neighborhoods through which it traverses. That's what those wondrous yet hideous highways did to make functioning neighborhoods dysfunctional, and why remediation is necessary today. But Quality Hill is a great little spot in spite of the highway, and in spite of what you say. I was in that neighborhood a week ago and still find it lovely. I wouldn't have made an offer on a property there if I thought otherwise. Quality Hill has very little sketchiness and a lot to like.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:05 PM

4,405 posts, read 3,197,140 times
Quote:
Snow is a non-issue for crying out loud. If anything meaningful snow happens over 6 or 7", schools and businesses will close or extend starting times.

The roads on a normal snow day are cleared by 10 am or so -- and the OP has no children in school. Agree, it is not wise to live out in the boonies, but it is nonsense to worry about snow in general.
Please respect that it isn't a non-issue to the original poster who is concerned about driving in the snow.

Schools may close but businesses certainly do not, and driving conditions can be harrowing at times, even with less than 6 to 7 inches. Also, snow doesn't keep to any schedule and sometimes has the nerve to start up when one is already at work, so a late start is impractical.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:02 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Barrington could be the top school dept. in the state, but a bear of a morning and evening commute to Providence.
Moreover, if there are 10 blacks in the entire town, I'd be shocked. There are handful of East Asians and Indians, but that's all I have seen there. I am sure some will run off and check the census data for us.

A very nice town with #1 or #2 school system in RI (not saying much, but. . . ). Commute to Providence during rush hour would suck after you get past the Broadway Exit on I-195 . . . . near bumper to bumper.

Mick

Old 05-12-2016, 12:07 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,118,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Indeed, I agree. Trust me, a secret to happy life is a short commute. If you spend 45 minutes each way on commute every day instead of 15 minutes, that an hour each day that you could've spent with family, to get online education or training, enjoy hobby, start a home business, watch TV, etc., etc. It might not sound like much, but that's 5 hours per week, 20 hours per month, 240 hours per year, 1,200 hours per five years, so on.

Also, a bumper-to-bumper traffic will definitely create a lot of stress. Especially when you have to be at somewhere by certain time . . . . a meeting, an appointment, picking up your kid . . . .

Mick

Old 06-08-2016, 02:24 PM

16 posts, read 13,562 times
hi guys my husbands office is in Cranston, RI wherever that is. And he insists that it would be best to stay in naval housing options. how insane is that? does anyone know? the options they are giving are melville and fort adams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island