Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2021, 08:37 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
while there seems to be enough drug crime to keep our law enforcement busy. I have no comparison with a similar size city like Worcester, Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven or Cambridge. In a perfect world there would be no crime but I have no idea if Providence is a bad place to live or a good place to live. Just that it has crime and I would expect most cities to have that.

Not really a question of whether Providence has more or less crime than other cities, but trying to understand what fuels the local crime scene and gang activity. I can't comment on the CT cities, but Providence is certainly more of a hub than Worcester or Cambridge when it comes to the drug/heroin/fentanyl trade. It plays a major influence in the local criminal element, as we recently saw the DEA establish a local Providence office to fight trafficking throughout the Southern NE region.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:15 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not really a question of whether Providence has more or less crime than other cities, but trying to understand what fuels the local crime scene and gang activity. I can't comment on the CT cities, but Providence is certainly more of a hub than Worcester or Cambridge when it comes to the drug/heroin/fentanyl trade. It plays a major influence in the local criminal element, as we recently saw the DEA establish a local Providence office to fight trafficking throughout the Southern NE region.
Since you apparently live in rural Maine, rather than Rhode Island, do you so intensely follow the Portland "drug trade" & "criminal element" with such curious fascination?

Old 01-21-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Since you apparently live in rural Maine, rather than Rhode Island, do you so intensely follow the Portland "drug trade" & "criminal element" with such curious fascination?

If you go back to post #1, you will see how this thread started. Three thugs from Providence got busted in Maine for dealing. While rural meth labs had been an issue (seems to be dying down somewhat), I'm not aware of Portland being a hub for any kind of drug activity. Most big time dealers caught here come from out of state (as in this example posted). But if you know something I don't, feel free to post it. I suggest posting in the Maine forum instead, however.

Now back OT, the Valley Breeze put out a little more info. on the N Smithfield bust. It happened at L'il General on the Great Rd. N Smithfield also did another bust the following day, where "25-year-old Jose Medeiros, was selling cocaine out of his home on Follett Street"

https://www.valleybreeze.com/2021-01...s#.YAmthxZOnIV

"North Smithfield Police make two drug arrests

NORTH SMITHFIELD – The North Smithfield Police Department made two drug-related arrests within one week of each other earlier this month."

Old 01-21-2021, 10:03 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
While rural meth labs had been an issue (seems to be dying down somewhat),

they always die down during the winter. No one wants to be the house with no snow on the roof.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:26 AM

8,032 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
If you go back to post #1, you will see how this thread started. Three thugs from Providence got busted in Maine for dealing. While rural meth labs had been an issue (seems to be dying down somewhat), I'm not aware of Portland being a hub for any kind of drug activity. Most big time dealers caught here come from out of state (as in this example posted). But if you know something I don't, feel free to post it. I suggest posting in the Maine forum instead, however. Now back OT, the Valley Breeze put out a little more info. on the N Smithfield bust. It happened at L'il General on the Great Rd. N Smithfield also did another bust the following day, where "25-year-old Jose Medeiros, was selling cocaine out of his home on Follett Street" https://www.valleybreeze.com/2021-01...s#.YAmthxZOnIV"North Smithfield Police make two drug arrestsNORTH SMITHFIELD – The North Smithfield Police Department made two drug-related arrests within one week of each other earlier this month."
Such a long answer to such a simple question. Forgive me if I don't get thru it.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
While rural meth labs had been an issue (seems to be dying down somewhat),

they always die down during the winter. No one wants to be the house with no snow on the roof.

I'm talking about the past few years in comparison to say 2010-2017/2018.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 AM

4,388 posts, read 3,193,342 times
Quote:
Not really a question of whether Providence has more or less crime than other cities, but trying to understand what fuels the local crime scene and gang activity.
Wouldn't it be the desire for money?

Old 01-22-2021, 06:43 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
And why aren't you spamming the Maine forum- MAnative- since you live there???

Old 01-24-2021, 07:44 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Let's keep this on topic of the drug trade in Providence. Just as I posted a map of serious violent crime in the city, I did a similar one for drug busts.

Derived from the Providence Police Case Log, these are the logged Manufacturing/Trafficking/Distribution charges from 2020. These are exclusively of those carried out by the Providence Police, and do not include those of the feds/DEA.

No real surprises here. The Althea/Sorrento/Linwood triangle is a hot spot as it long has been. Broad St./Prairie Ave. triangle. Manton Heights area on the Olneyville/Mt. Pleasant border, Hartford Projects, etc.

How the heck are we supposed to make a cartographer out of you if you won't retain the basics? Marker color... Why blue, again, when google colors points of interest that way? What are the other colors you used for? How is the reader supposed to understand this?

Old 01-25-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
How the heck are we supposed to make a cartographer out of you if you won't retain the basics? Marker color... Why blue, again, when google colors points of interest that way? What are the other colors you used for? How is the reader supposed to understand this?

Thank you sir for your concerns, be glad to assist you. The colors were meaningless. Think of a bag of M&Ms (although some people swear the reds have a cherry twist to them). Nah, just got lazy and didn't bother changing color from what I had set on the other map at the time. And if you look, you will see that the points of interest are actually a different tint of blue and are also labeled so one can see what they are. But anyhow, I would be more than happy to simplify it for you. All the drug incidents are now shown in "black".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island