Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM

4 posts, read 12,967 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are a gay couple that will be relocating from California next year, and are considering Providence as a possible place to live. We will be passing through the area in late May and will be able to stop in Providence for about a day to gather some initial impressions. We realize that this isn't nearly enough time to get a real understanding of a new place, but it will help us to narrow our choices.

We are hoping to get help with two questions:

1. We are hoping to experience the true spirit of the city. Are there any “can't miss” places in Providence we should put on our itinerary?

2. We'll also be scouting out possible places to live if we do move there. Our dream neighborhood is safe, has leafy streets with charming/nicer older homes, and tolerant, friendly neighbors. We would be grateful for any suggestions you'd care to share.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards, Eric from California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 05:29 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
Hi Eric, I would highly recommend spending the day on the "East Side" of Providence (not to be confused with East Providence which is a separate city entirely). The East Side is rich in history/architecture and is definitely gay friendly. I suggest scoping out the areas around Wickenden St - sit outside at the Coffee Exchange and relax, must see the areas right around the corner from there (Benefit St/College Hill/Thayer St) which are home to RISD and Brown University. Also drive around the areas between Hope St and Elmgrove Ave including Wayland Square. Take a ride down Blackstone Blvd which runs parallel to Elmgrove. Compared to CA, you'll find the real estate quite reasonable. Along Wayland square, Thayer St and Hope St, you'll find tons of restaurants, great little shops etc. I think you will love this area, it is truly a gem.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,988 times
ljd1010 has good advice here--the East side sounds like it would be perfect for you.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,808 times
Yeah I agree, old homes, leafy streets and gay friendly = East Side of Providence. Search Wayland Square, Hope Village and Wickenden Street, they are all nice walkable areas on the East Side with shops, restaurants, etc. Pretty much all of Providence is gay friendly and there are lot's of gay bars, bathhouses, coffee shops, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island