Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 PM

28 posts, read 220,679 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Tucson, Arizona and am considering moving to Providence, Rhode Island. It's a big move, and any information regarding the climate, transportation, housing, employment, arts, entertainment, culture, people, schools ect. in Porvidence would be very useful! Thanks!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:30 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophadilla View Post
I'm currently living in Tucson, Arizona and am considering moving to Providence, Rhode Island. It's a big move, and any information regarding the climate, transportation, housing, employment, arts, entertainment, culture, people, schools ect. in Porvidence would be very useful! Thanks!
Climate is mild for a station this far north. Modified by Narragansett Bay, and the ocean to the south and east. Winters will have less snow then areas inland, and modified cold. Summers will be less hot then areas inland because of the bay and nearby ocean- a sea breeze.

Snow while common in the winter (25-30") on average seldom stays around long.

Winter starts in mid to late December- and ends around mid to late March on average. Springs are coolish and changeable. Summers warm, with some days in the 90s- with much more humidity then AZ.

Autumns are sublime and can last into late November with mild temps and sunny days.

Eastern New England has a higher probability of being visited by hurricanes and tropical storms then areas to the northwest and west.

The transportation infrastructure in Providence is well developed- public transport is quite good. TF Green is the Airport. Third largest in New England.

Housing prices; median price for a single family home around 285K.
A good city for the arts- and the proximity of Boston (35 plus miles enhances the city) Great restaurants. Downtown is very pleasant and has been rebuilt.

Economy does not produce alot of jobs except in health care, some in finance and services and education.

Culture is more 'European' then 'American' with a decidedly 'old world ambiance.'
This is true for most of New England. Providence has old world shadows that hang heavy in the air. There is a great amount of 'tradition'.

For schools' higher education. Brown University. Providence College, Johnson and Wales University and the Rhode Island School of design.

For primary and secondary; locals can give exact information.

Ethnically; a large Italian American population, Portuguese, Some old Yankees, Irish, French Canadian, Latino and African American. Increasing Asian groups.

Hope this gives you a general idea.

Last edited by skytrekker; 06-14-2007 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 PM

195 posts, read 231,173 times
The climate is awful- especially in the winter months. Winter is from November through late April. The weather is very iffy all the time--while you might have an occasional decent weather day, say 4 or 5 per month, the rest of the days are terrible. If you move to RI be prepared to spend most of your time from Nov.- May indoors praying the weather will finally get decent. The summers are hot and humid. Fall and Spring are really short, winter is by far the longest and IMO most dismal season. The economy in RI stinks-- people generally do not have a great deal of extra money to put into the economy. The people are rude and not very well educated thanks to a liberal and inferior public school system. They are also some of the most provincial people you will ever meet, and you can live there for 20 years, but the locals will still consider you an outsider. Everyday transactions will be ruined with total rudeness from the people who are employed to serve you as well as other customers. Friendliness is not a strong suit in New England. Public transportation is useless and unreliable, and you will definitely need a car. Car insurance is expensive. Housing is expensive and you can look forward to out of date everything unless you are willing to pay a great deal of money. The art scene is one great positives about the area. There are many wonderful and talented artists living in the Providence area as well as nearby Boston. Throughout the year there are various artist venues well worth visiting. All in all, though, RI is far behind the rest of the country in nearly everything, and I would for sure recommend looking at other options. I lived in RI for over 7 years and it just never grew on me, and I'm really glad that I moved away.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:10 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
and we are quite thankful that you no longer live here. where is this beautiful utopia you now live in? it must be Shrangala? perfect weather, economy and people. I have lived all over the country; Sarasota, fl; Sante fe, Portland, Or; Carlsbad, Ca and Westport, ct. They all have their faults. Grow up, leave your memories behind and allow those of us that prefer this state to explain the good and bad points of it without the excessive badgering that you bring to this board. sometimes one complains to much to hide their true love!

Mark

Old 06-15-2007, 06:18 PM

thank you mark! i was finding it hard to believe that one city could have so many faults, and was hoping that people could avoid writing about their personal bitterness and stick to the general, helpful info. portland is the other city that i am considering moving to, so any information regarding that city would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 PM

100 posts, read 466,155 times
Quote:
I lived in RI for over 7 years and it just never grew on me, and I'm really glad that I moved away.
I'm really glad you moved away too. It's funny that somebody who has allegedly "moved on" from her RI experience would waste her time stopping by here (on numerous occasions) just to lob bombs. The joke is that your pot shots rarely, if ever, hit the mark.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
thank you mark! i was finding it hard to believe that one city could have so many faults, and was hoping that people could avoid writing about their personal bitterness and stick to the general, helpful info. portland is the other city that i am considering moving to, so any information regarding that city would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
Portland Maine-right Sophadilla-not Oregon?

Portland Maine, located on the Atlantic ocean- about 1.5-2 hours north of Boston.

I will try and answer as I did Providence.

Climate wise- more rigorous then Providence- still it has a maritime influence; but it will receive on average about 70" of snow per winter. Although last winter was far less. Also global warming is changing Maine's climate very swiftly- as all of New England. The Pro is milder winters, the Con is the introduction of new insect and plant species- and the disappearance of others. As in Providence springs will be late coming; while autumns last well into November- with winter arriving late.

Portland has a metro area population of about 175,000- the city itself is very pleasant. Its maritime influence is seen everywhere. There is ample shopping, and many excellent restaurants of high quality.

Portland International Airport is a small-medium hub. Logan in Boston is about 1.5-2 hours down I 95. The city has a decent public transportation system for its size.

The feel of the culture is typical New England and again rather 'European' with a maritime aspect.

I do not have enough objective information regarding schools- please post at the Maine forum. There is a Univ. Of Maine campus branch in Portland.

Portland has Maine's biggest employment growth; in the service sector, health, and some finance and IT. But as in most of New England job growth is slower then in other areas of the nation.

Ethnically, many Old Yankees, Irish, French Canadian, and some Asians, with a small minority of African Americans and Latino.

Recapping Portland; a very pleasant city with a low crime rate, maritime ambiance and lots of culture for a small metro area.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:43 AM

no, Portland OR, skytrekker. sorry for not being more specific! i know they're on opposite ends of the country, but in my research they seem to have some of the same qualities that i'm looking for; humid climate, public transport, liberal, relatively large city with lots of opportunities... thanks to your information about portland maine, it seems that this city is also a good candidate!

Old 06-16-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
no, Portland OR, skytrekker. sorry for not being more specific! i know they're on opposite ends of the country, but in my research they seem to have some of the same qualities that i'm looking for; humid climate, public transport, liberal, relatively large city with lots of opportunities... thanks to your information about portland maine, it seems that this city is also a good candidate!
Actually Portland Or. has a much milder climate then Portland Maine.
Portland Maine cost wise is a bit cheaper.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:55 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
My, my, I must have lived in a different Providence, RI than you did and probably for about the same number of years or perhaps longer.

I found the weather mild; we had one small but delicious hurricane one year but with the hurricane barrier just some scattered tree damage in town.

Art venues, welll I suppose my Friends of RIM wouldn't count for much in some people's minds; or the small theatres scattered throughout the city, plus Brown's nearly professional theatre that offers original performances during season.

All in all, I have almost perfect recall of having a terrific time, making fabulous friends and spending remarkable time on many a warm, delightful evening down and around Newport or the Bay and less than 30 minutes or so and two or more ways to get there and avoid traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
The climate is awful- especially in the winter months. Winter is from November through late April. The weather is very iffy all the time--while you might have an occasional decent weather day, say 4 or 5 per month, the rest of the days are terrible. If you move to RI be prepared to spend most of your time from Nov.- May indoors praying the weather will finally get decent. The summers are hot and humid. Fall and Spring are really short, winter is by far the longest and IMO most dismal season. The economy in RI stinks-- people generally do not have a great deal of extra money to put into the economy. The people are rude and not very well educated thanks to a liberal and inferior public school system. They are also some of the most provincial people you will ever meet, and you can live there for 20 years, but the locals will still consider you an outsider. Everyday transactions will be ruined with total rudeness from the people who are employed to serve you as well as other customers. Friendliness is not a strong suit in New England. Public transportation is useless and unreliable, and you will definitely need a car. Car insurance is expensive. Housing is expensive and you can look forward to out of date everything unless you are willing to pay a great deal of money. The art scene is one great positives about the area. There are many wonderful and talented artists living in the Providence area as well as nearby Boston. Throughout the year there are various artist venues well worth visiting. All in all, though, RI is far behind the rest of the country in nearly everything, and I would for sure recommend looking at other options. I lived in RI for over 7 years and it just never grew on me, and I'm really glad that I moved away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island