Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2023, 09:07 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You're saying Stuart is lying about the crime posts helping him?

I think he's trying to say that these crimes aren't real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
T
  • Making up lies about posters they disagree with? Check. (I've never been a victim of crime here, and we've been casually looking at homes outside of the city for 2+ years for simple reasons - we want an extra bedroom and a little more outdoor space than we have at our condo and both of those things price us out of our current neighborhood).

So this never happened?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/bost...l#post65570913

Old 11-03-2023, 09:24 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You've mentioned your East Boston neighborhood in this thread. Post 757.

"My neighborhood (East Boston, particularly Jeffries Point/Maverick) is also largely Hispanic"

And here's what you had to say about your neighborhood in 2012:

"I looked at places around Maverick since it's great on paper. It's one stop from downtown on the Blue Line, pretty urban, affordable, has some great parks (Piers Park is awesome) and some nice looking older buildings. I'm a guy in my mid 20s so "safe" carries different meaning for me, but I didn't really love the vibe I got there. I didn't feel it was "dangerous," and there are plenty of young professionals and students, but I sort of got a "you're not welcome here" vibe.

What I would suggest is checking out some of Eastie on your own during the day and forming your own assumptions. It's not horrible area, but it did give me the wrong feelings. And I'm typically one to defend many of the areas that others call "rough." "
Good digging, but that's about as specific as I'd care to get on the internet for reasons I'm sure you and MN can understand. Maverick and Jeffries Point are two very different neighborhoods with very appearances and feels. So even after drilling it down to two, Massnative's comments are just as absurd as they were when it was just generally "East Boston." I don't know anyone who would call either Maverick or Jeffries Point "slummy." He either doesn't know the area at all or he's just trying to use my location for a personal jab. My guess is both, and that's exactly why I said it's standard procedure in the previous post.

Maverick has changed a LOT in 11 years (as anyone who is actually familiar with the area could attest to), and that 2012 perspective wasn't really negative to begin with. For context, it's a historically Italian neighborhood that has seen a large Hispanic influx as well as an influx of more affluent residents. Naturally, some of the older Italian holdouts don't like that it's changing (particularly the Italian restaurants being replaced by Hispanic restaurants and the luxury condos filling in the neighborhood). While there's still some of that sentiment (mostly on neighborhood Facebook pages), it didn't feel dangerous back then and it definitely doesn't today.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
  • Embarrassingly displaying a lack of familiarity with the place their trashing? Check - ("East Boston" is one of the largest land areas in Boston and is collection of multiple neighborhoods. I don't think I've ever posted which neighborhood I live in within Eastie, but no reasonable person would ever describe it as a "slum." Not 50 years ago, not 25 years ago, and certainly not today.)
My friends who grew up in Eastie would be very interested to hear that.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Good digging, but that's about as specific as I'd care to get on the internet for reasons I'm sure you and MN can understand. Maverick and Jeffries Point are two very different neighborhoods with very appearances and feels. So even after drilling it down to two, Massnative's comments are just as absurd as they were when it was just generally "East Boston." I don't know anyone who would call either Maverick or Jeffries Point "slummy." He either doesn't know the area at all or he's just trying to use my location for a personal jab. My guess is both, and that's exactly why I said it's standard procedure in the previous post.

Maverick has changed a LOT in 11 years (as anyone who is actually familiar with the area could attest to), and that 2012 perspective wasn't really negative to begin with. For context, it's a historically Italian neighborhood that has seen a large Hispanic influx as well as an influx of more affluent residents. Naturally, some of the older Italian holdouts don't like that it's changing (particularly the Italian restaurants being replaced by Hispanic restaurants and the luxury condos filling in the neighborhood). While there's still some of that sentiment (mostly on neighborhood Facebook pages), it didn't feel dangerous back then and it definitely doesn't today.

Also one late night I recently stopped at the McD's drive thru about four blocks from there. Line was empty except for me. The dude there was super nervous like I was going to rob the place up or something. Not sure I really experienced anything like this before. Big time hood vibe there.

Last edited by massnative71; 11-03-2023 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-03-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Of course it did. I guess that technically makes me a "victim of a crime," but it also highlights exactly the type of misleading (borderline lies) crap that you guys regularly spew here about other posters. To recap, it happened last November which is well after we started casually looking at homes (as I'm sure you know). It wasn't even on my street (technically in another neighborhood even) and had absolutely zero bearing on our search for a home outside of the city (which is currently on pause). So this sentence, "living in a slummy area of Boston, and was trying to get out after being the victim of a crime on at least one occasion" painting a narrative that I'm looking to flee my ghetto neighborhood after being the victim of a crime is a flat out lie that you made up.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Real conversation at work yesterday (within hours of your comment): ".....hey, I grew up in the hood" (clueless transplant) "Where did you grow up?" "East Boston" "It's not THAT bad???" (the original guy's face grew about 2 miles wide and the rest of us struggled to contain our laughter).

Also one late night I recently stopped at the McD's drive thru about four blocks from there. Line was empty except for me. The dude there was super nervous like I was going to rob the place up or something. Not sure I really experienced anything like this before. Big time hood vibe there.
I realize that you're generally more scared of urban areas than the average person, but I'm not sure how a McDonald's that's in neither Jeffries Point or Maverick is relevant to the discussion? And I'm sure the "real" conversation you had with your coworker is about as "real" as me, the crime victim, fleeing for my life.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I realize that you're generally more scared of urban areas than the average person, but I'm not sure how a McDonald's that's in neither Jeffries Point or Maverick is relevant to the discussion?

It's FOUR blocks from Maverick, and in East Boston.

Quote:
And I'm sure the "real" conversation you had with your coworker is about as "real" as me, the crime victim, fleeing for my life.

Unfortunately you can't make this stuff up, just like people on the internet claiming that these well known problematic areas are "fine". Or that Elmwood is as safe as anywhere else in Providence. And if you post information to the contrary you are attacked, gaslighted and falsely accused of mental illness and grotesque acts.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately you can't make this stuff up, just like people on the internet claiming that these well known problematic areas are "fine". Or that Elmwood is as safe as anywhere else in Providence. And if you post information to the contrary you are attacked, gaslighted and falsely accused of mental illness and grotesque acts.
It's pretty rich to talk about how you, "can't make this stuff up" after you just made up a bald faced lie about me. It would have been a good story too except you couldn't be bothered to see if the timeline fit your made up narrative. And if your "real" coworker actually said those things, then why did you feel the need to edit them out of your post?

I don't know about your supposed grotesque acts or mental illness, but you're definitely fond of lying about other posters as is on full display right here which makes it fair game (talk about "gaslighting"). So please spare us the poor you, victim stuff. As an actual "victim of crime," I find it offensive.

Old 11-03-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
  • People who disagree with the crime posters often become targets themselves (isn't that right, "Jamestown?"). And once you're a target, you'll find that places you've mentioned living or spending time in are regularly and repeatedly trashed (along with how "stupid" anyone must be to live/go there).
Right on cue: Drug bust Maverick Square East Boston

At least they're consistently predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island