Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2023, 07:37 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,738,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Not this post, but I've sensed a lot of hostility coming from you and I feel it's unwarranted.
Hostility? I'm quite an amenable fellow to most posters & ideas here. I like to contribute where I'm interested & can possibly be helpful. But, I find crime fetishes creepy & struggling neighborhood trashing repellant. It's a weakness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 03:25 PM

17,977 posts, read 9,374,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Hostility? I'm quite an amenable fellow to most posters & ideas here. I like to contribute where I'm interested & can possibly be helpful. But, I find crime fetishes creepy & struggling neighborhood trashing repellant. It's a weakness.
This is a thread about violent crime in Providence. It's relevant to the forum and it serves as a valuable resource for the community.

Every month one of our forum members provides a map that shows where the violence has occurred. We see virtually the same thing each and every month. Three areas in the city are essentially free of violent crime: the East Side (other than Mt Hope), the area between PC and RIC, and most of Federal Hill. The rest of the city is problematic to varying degrees.

It could be said that the maps are redundant at this point. However, I think they are necessary because some members on here consistently attempt to paint a different picture of the city. A picture that doesn't reflect reality and is often self-serving. The monthly maps help to reinforce what many of us already know, and to show the truth.

Your hostility suggests that you don't want the truth to be known. You have 109 posts in this thread. All of them share a common theme: a strong desire to suppress factual information about violent crime in Providence.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:44 PM

639 posts, read 385,461 times
I fail to see the value. If the police publish the information, go there. Providence is a low crime city, and if the same few places have the same few issues over and over, barfing it up again and again isn't helpful. I think you should all be so lucky that you have the total number of crimes and lower crime rates than many cities that most I know call nice (like Des Moines which is lovely and is a great place to live, and has a higher crime rate) with all the culture. It's a wonderful city. Harping on thug on thug incidentals provides no one information that is helpful.

This is just a cricket talking to cricket thing with the birds going about their life above them chatter, so it seems.

The title doesn't say its about violent crime in the city, but about it being on the rise. Not seeing information about it being on the rise yet. Whatever. People here are fascinating worrying about how people pay for their homes, caring about crimes that are rare and don't impact them. Crocheting would be a better use of energy. At least something comes from it. Not seeing anything self serving, either. I am seeing people that are dismissive and claiming its self serving with no posted evidence. Like if someone disagrees, they can't sincerely disagree and there must be ulterior motives.

I'm seeing here why so much of the country considerers New Englanders invasive and rude.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeugh View Post
I fail to see the value.
This is mainly a relocation forum. What could possibly be of more value than knowing which areas are safe and which areas aren't?

Quote:
Harping on thug on thug incidentals provides no one information that is helpful.
A friend of mine feels the same way. When I mention some of these incidents to her, the typical response is: "Who cares? They are garbage people."

I don't agree with her view or yours. I find it very interesting.

Quote:
This is just a cricket talking to cricket thing with the birds going about their life above them chatter, so it seems.
Your comment seems disrespectful.

Quote:
The title doesn't say its about violent crime in the city, but about it being on the rise. Not seeing information about it being on the rise yet.
More specifically, the title is in the form of a question. The purpose of the thread is to discuss whether or not violent crime is on the rise.

Quote:
Whatever. People here are fascinating worrying about how people pay for their homes, caring about crimes that are rare and don't impact them.
The housing market in this area is at an all-time high along with very limited inventory. The homeless problem has never been worse. Many people are one bad break away from becoming homeless. This should not be taken lightly.

As for the crimes, they may not impact you but they do impact others.

Quote:
Crocheting would be a better use of energy.

Quote:
Not seeing anything self serving, either. I am seeing people that are dismissive and claiming its self serving with no posted evidence. Like if someone disagrees, they can't sincerely disagree and there must be ulterior motives.
You're new here. Stick around and it will become clear.

Quote:
I'm seeing here why so much of the country considerers New Englanders invasive and rude.
Straightforward. And I'll take that any day over Minnesota Nice.

Old 03-23-2023, 12:30 AM

23,801 posts, read 18,931,692 times
Quote:

The title doesn't say its about violent crime in the city, but about it being on the rise. Not seeing information about it being on the rise yet. Whatever. People here are fascinating worrying about how people pay for their homes, caring about crimes that are rare and don't impact them. Crocheting would be a better use of energy. At least something comes from it. Not seeing anything self serving, either. I am seeing people that are dismissive and claiming its self serving with no posted evidence. Like if someone disagrees, they can't sincerely disagree and there must be ulterior motives.

Not quite. The problem here is there no "disagreement" (which would be totally welcome), as what's posted in this thread tends to be indisputable fact. Certain posters, however, have a habit of incessant protest in attempt to drown out harsh realities they would prefer go unnoticed.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Every month one of our forum members provides a map that shows where the violence has occurred..........Your hostility suggests that you don't want the truth to be known.
Every month the same out of state fellow, with the same crime fetish, copy posts the same crime map. As for hostility it suggests hostility to the creepy content of the crime posts. And, pretending it's about steering unsuspecting newcomers away from "bad" neighborhoods (which just happen to all be minority majority) is transparent nonsense. That you're back to join in it again makes it all even creepier.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I fail to see the value. If the police publish the information, go there. Providence is a low crime city, and if the same few places have the same few issues over and over, barfing it up again and again isn't helpful. I think you should all be so lucky that you have the total number of crimes and lower crime rates than many cities that most I know call nice (like Des Moines which is lovely and is a great place to live, and has a higher crime rate) with all the culture. It's a wonderful city. Harping on thug on thug incidentals provides no one information that is helpful.

Hit the nail on the head. No value. Ulterior motives is all they can come up with. Dismissive indeed.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not quite. The problem here is there no "disagreement" (which would be totally welcome), as what's posted in this thread tends to be indisputable fact. Certain posters, however, have a habit of incessant protest in attempt to drown out harsh realities they would prefer go unnoticed.
With perhaps the exception of one other poster, no one else appears to suffer from a crime fetish. Rather than attempting to disguise your obvious malady by constantly copy/pasting & editorializing "harsh realities", get the help you need. It isn't here.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
copy posts the same crime map
Same crime map? The crime map is different every month. That should be obvious as it shows exactly where the crimes happened during the previous month.

Copy paste? That member painstakingly creates the maps using data from Providence Police logs and then adds markers to a google map of Providence.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:54 AM

Quote:
That member painstakingly creates the maps
^ A map with this information cannot be found anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island