Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 11:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Well, perhaps if you timed your buying & selling right. Some unhappy buyers about now. The shake out in Austin will still leave a solid market behind.
I worked for a company with a small development group in Austin. I pretty much always had the misfortune of having to go there in the summer. Four months of 100F. It’s like I’ve been to Stockholm a lot on business but pretty much always in the dead of winter when there’s 6 hours of daylight.

Personally, I’m not a “growth is good” person. I like living somewhere that doesn’t have massive congestion. I can get from my house to the limited access highway in a very deterministic amount of time. Other than the westernmost three miles in Providence and East Providence, I-195 doesn’t have traffic jams. I bought where i bought because the local economy isn’t strong enough to drive up real estate prices. If a vacation home owner doesn’t want it, it’s affordable. Things are kind-a expensive now as a hangover from 2 1/2% interest rates but prices will eventually drift down to where 20% down buyers can qualify for the mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 12:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,678,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Of course there are parts of the country growing "much faster" than New England. I'm glad I'm not in those states!

My point is that you keep saying that RI is shrinking in population. You also have no first hand experience since you don't even live in this state. You are both ignorant and delusional.
MY point is that the United States Census Bureau keeps saying that Rhode Island is shrinking in population. Think about the case you're making: houses are expensive so Rhode Island MUST be growing. This doesn't even begin to make any sense. Except to you. And the other genius.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:14 PM

3,632 posts, read 1,859,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
MY point is that the United States Census Bureau keeps saying that Rhode Island is shrinking in population. Think about the case you're making: houses are expensive so Rhode Island MUST be growing. This doesn't even begin to make any sense. Except to you. And the other genius.
Right, it doesn't necessarily mean it's growing. It means little stock is available for sale, driving up prices. You don't need population growth for that. There could be enough folks within RI looking to make a change up of their housing situation versus newcomers from elsewhere flocking in.

I have an aunt that refers to RI as the armpit of New England. I thought it was a little harsh because RI does have some great things going for it, mainly it's natural beauty, coastal areas. However, there is also a lot of icky there! I guess if I could make it work in one of the tony suburbs then so be it, but otherwise it does seem a bit risky an investment as compared to some other northern states.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:16 PM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I guess if I could make it work in one of the tony suburbs then so be it, but otherwise it does seem a bit risky an investment as compared to some other northern states.

I think that's a pretty good feel. Places like Barrington and East Greenwich will always be in demand and your investment safe there (away from flood zones), but the more averageish towns I do not see sustaining current prices if/when the economy/market goes south. And the troublesome locales like South Providence and Central Falls, will likely see a major collapse.

Old 02-06-2023, 04:59 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I think that's a pretty good feel. Places like Barrington and East Greenwich will always be in demand and your investment safe there (away from flood zones), but the more averageish towns I do not see sustaining current prices if/when the economy/market goes south. And the troublesome locales like South Providence and Central Falls, will likely see a major collapse.
Yep. Take Rhode Island real estate advice from this out-of-state fellow with the copy/paste crime fetish. How could you go wrong?

Old 02-06-2023, 10:49 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,201,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Can we consider that the 2020 census ocurred during a pandemic and ended earlier than scheduled and that had further implications, especially in cities with a large immigrant population. The question Trump wanted - "Is this person a citizen?" - did not ultimately end up on the census but don't you think that had a chilling effect? In past years community leaders would urge people to be counted; I didn't see any of that outreach in 2020. There was the option to fill it out online, but that's going to miss a lot of people.

I am not saying the state grew in huge amounts but I wonder how you explain the fact that no matter how many mill to housing conversions we witness, housing is still super tight? If so many people are leaving, why the constant squeeze?

I think something needs to be done about Air BnB too. Not sure how people can buy a property and run it as a hotel, with none of the inspections or regulations a hotel would face. If you can rent out an apt for $200 a night and come out ahead just by renting it less than 10 days, why wouldn't you? But someone has to think of the common good, and the hotel jobs.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:06 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I am not saying the state grew in huge amounts but I wonder how you explain the fact that no matter how many mill to housing conversions we witness, housing is still super tight? If so many people are leaving, why the constant squeeze?.........
The "constant squeeze" is because, despite an anecdotal number of mill conversions, the state is way behind the comparative eight ball in producing the new housing units necessary. Hopefully, with the governor's new housing emphasis (and federal money), this less than robust record will change.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Right, it doesn't necessarily mean it's growing. It means little stock is available for sale, driving up prices. You don't need population growth for that. There could be enough folks within RI looking to make a change up of their housing situation versus newcomers from elsewhere flocking in.

I have an aunt that refers to RI as the armpit of New England. I thought it was a little harsh because RI does have some great things going for it, mainly it's natural beauty, coastal areas. However, there is also a lot of icky there! I guess if I could make it work in one of the tony suburbs then so be it, but otherwise it does seem a bit risky an investment as compared to some other northern states.
Trump did it. And space aliens. But only in Rhode Island. These could be your new neighbors.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:12 AM

2010 was solar flares. But only in Rhode Island.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:16 AM

49th of 50 for population growth in 2010. Saved by Michigan. 49th of 50 in 2020. Saved by West Virginia. And Trump did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island