Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 02:31 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,720,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
You said: "the hallmark of successful and sophisticated cities is diversity". Hence my examples in Rhode Island to the contrary.
Successful & sophisticated diverse cities (urban by definition) and lofty white liberal property values (often suburban rather than urban) aren't necessarily the same subjects. However, they can happily co-exist at the edges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 03:15 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,687,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Successful & sophisticated diverse cities (urban by definition) and lofty white liberal property values (often suburban rather than urban) aren't necessarily the same subjects. However, they can happily co-exist at the edges.
Like Providence and Pawtucket? Woonsocket and Central Falls? Perhaps an example in your home state might provide clarification. I know that you're saying what you think you're supposed to say, but the simple truth is that diversity is not intrinsically beneficial. Or detrimental.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-08-2023 at 03:25 PM..

Old 02-08-2023, 08:57 PM

3,672 posts, read 1,886,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If Attleboro (a city with a fraction of the crime rate and probably 10 X better schools than Providence) is "mediocre", then where does that leave Providence?
Way down in the dumps lol

Old 02-08-2023, 09:04 PM

3,672 posts, read 1,886,163 times
Quote:
Like Providence and Pawtucket? Woonsocket and Central Falls? Perhaps an example in your home state might provide clarification. I know that you're saying what you think you're supposed to say, but the simple truth is that diversity is not intrinsically beneficial. Or detrimental.
Central Falls....make sure you don't honk at anyone or look at anyone the wrong way while you're driving thru. Scary, sketchy. Took an exit once off 95 that had me go thru there to get to Lincoln. Thought I was in a third world country for a few minutes!

Old 02-08-2023, 09:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Central Falls....make sure you don't honk at anyone or look at anyone the wrong way while you're driving thru. Scary, sketchy. Took an exit once off 95 that had me go thru there to get to Lincoln. Thought I was in a third world country for a few minutes!
Your loss. Some fantastic food.

Volunteer with a food bank that mainly focused their work there too. Pretty much everyone I met was wonderful, kind people.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:30 PM

23,710 posts, read 18,816,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Your loss. Some fantastic food.

I remember getting lunch at Stanley's one particular day...place is a gem but I had a bunch of stuff in the back of my truck parked right across the street, and man oh man did I not take one eye off it the entire meal! SKETCHY surroundings.

Old 02-09-2023, 04:51 AM

Quote:
I know that you're saying what you think you're supposed to say, but the simple truth is that diversity is not intrinsically beneficial. Or detrimental.
Simple truth? I disagree. I think evolution disagrees. Exposure to diverse environments has always benefited our species. Made it better. I can usually tell in short order how much or how little diversity someone has been exposed to. Whether it be diversity in travel or living. It's something, the lack of, even advanced education can't seem to compensate for. This realization isn't at all self-aggrandizing. It comes from the observation of someone with relatively little diverse life experience or travel compared to many of those I've met. My betters. Of course, I don't judge others because, as you might race to point out, I could have done much better.

Last edited by independent man; 02-09-2023 at 05:02 AM..

Old 02-09-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Simple truth? I disagree. I think evolution disagrees. Exposure to diverse environments has always benefited our species. Made it better. I can usually tell in short order how much or how little diversity someone has been exposed to. Whether it be diversity in travel or living. It's something, the lack of, even advanced education can't seem to compensate for. This realization isn't at all self-aggrandizing. It comes from the observation of someone with relatively little diverse life experience or travel compared to many of those I've met. My betters. Of course, I don't judge others because, as you might race to point out, I could have done much better.
Tap dancing? So early? You put forth that diversity magically transforms ordinary cities into bastions of success and sophistication. Common sense tells us that it completely depends upon who's doing the diversifying. Baltimore, St. Louis, Chicago, New Orleans? And closer to home? Diversity added 4 burglaries to my Grandmother's house in Brockton. It was a wonderful city. Right up until it diversified. And now would be an excellent time for your own examples closer to home in Rhode Island.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Diversity added 4 burglaries to my Grandmother's house in Brockton.......
How? Criminals are criminals.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you could begin the discussion by listing the irreparable damage caused by homogeneity in Barrington. In East Greenwich? In.....Jamestown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island