Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 10:08 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,726,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Owning a house is not a right.
No it's not a right. Rights are the freedoms in the Constitution & Bill of Rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 10:14 AM

3,695 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There are current residents "moving up" and buying houses as well as out of staters (especially from MA) "flocking in". I see this happening personally.

Your aunt has probably only seen RI from I95. Typical, and I wish a lot more would keep on going.

I just laugh when I hear about people thinking they're going to buy cheaply in a good area in this state.
That ship sailed long ago.

However, risky investment? I think not- I've never lost money on a house in this state. Why? Because I know where to buy- but that's true of every state. And that's the purpose of this forum, although many posters would like to destroy the value of it with nothing but snide comments- over and over and over.
Nope, my aunt actually grew up in Pawtucket. Left RI in her early twenties and never went back! I think she's around 65 years old now.

Laugh? There's still some 'cheap' finds. Take the 1 Beaver Rd Barrington listing Geoff pointed out. Also, have seen some $350K semi updated ranchers in E.Greenwich listed the last couple weeks. Even if you have to put some $$ in updating, still likely way cheaper than the MA real estate. Similar ranches would be upwards of $500K in what would be considered 'mediocre towns' in MA.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:40 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 10 days ago)

8,401 posts, read 5,556,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Places go in & out of real estate fashion. I'd have guessed, I'd never have seen Austin, Texas leave the stage. A bastion of cool in a state that's not. But, she's taking a bow.
What is quite interesting is that cities that are popular largely depends on race, class, ethnicity, and nationality. Austin is viewed very favorable but the white and the liberal, but less so by African Americans and foreign born residents. But the former tend to bring real estate values higher so now its more expensive there.

Portland, OR is a good example of a city that is viewed as cool among the white and not among most others.

Old 02-08-2023, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What is quite interesting is that cities that are popular largely depends on race, class, ethnicity, and nationality. Austin is viewed very favorable but the white and the liberal, but less so by African Americans and foreign born residents. But the former tend to bring real estate values higher so now its more expensive there.

Portland, OR is a good example of a city that is viewed as cool among the white and not among most others.
A hallmark of successful, sophisticated cities is diversity. Some places such as Austin & Portland, just never attracted the earliest patterns of African American immigration for various reasons. I do think, as Texas cities go, Austin may now be as popular with African American & foreign borns as any - who can afford the its price of entry today. But, I can agree there are few white liberal places, urban or rural, where there aren't comparatively lofty real estate values.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:26 AM

9,326 posts, read 14,948,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Nope, my aunt actually grew up in Pawtucket. Left RI in her early twenties and never went back! I think she's around 65 years old now.

Laugh? There's still some 'cheap' finds. Take the 1 Beaver Rd Barrington listing Geoff pointed out. Also, have seen some $350K semi updated ranchers in E.Greenwich listed the last couple weeks. Even if you have to put some $$ in updating, still likely way cheaper than the MA real estate. Similar ranches would be upwards of $500K in what would be considered 'mediocre towns' in MA.
I am not surprised about Pawtucket- it's hey day ended more than 100 years ago. I would have left there too after (or long before!) 95 destroyed the town. Having said that Oak Hill and parts of Fairlawn and Darlington are solidly middle class.

About the rest of your claim about MA, here's an arguably better house (200 sq ft bigger than your 1200 sq ft ranch) in Attleboro ( a mediocre town) in the 300s. I can find others for you if you like.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...55957520_zpid/

Here's one in Seekonk:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56870723_zpid/

Old 02-08-2023, 07:11 AM

4,236 posts, read 1,691,082 times
Quote:
A hallmark of successful, sophisticated cities is diversity. Some places such as Austin & Portland, just never attracted the earliest patterns of African American immigration for various reasons. I do think, as Texas cities go, Austin may now be as popular with African American & foreign borns as any - who can afford the its price of entry today. But, I can agree there are few white liberal places, urban or rural, where there aren't comparatively lofty real estate values.
At 95% White, Jamestown, RI must be positively dreadful. Can Barrington and East Greenwich, both over 90% White, be far behind? And it's hard to imagine the drag of the lily-White East Side on the success and sophistication of the City of Providence in all its splendor of diversity. It's hard to overstate the simplification of your "diversity is good" mantra. Do some cities thrive because of diversity, or in spite of it? Perhaps in your own instance, diversity IS good. For somebody else.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-08-2023 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-08-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I am not surprised about Pawtucket- it's hey day ended more than 100 years ago. I would have left there too after (or long before!) 95 destroyed the town. Having said that Oak Hill and parts of Fairlawn and Darlington are solidly middle class.

About the rest of your claim about MA, here's an arguably better house (200 sq ft bigger than your 1200 sq ft ranch) in Attleboro ( a mediocre town) in the 300s. I can find others for you if you like.

Here's one in Seekonk:

I'm guessing, in over 20 years, auntie left the house to look around.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
At 95% White, Jamestown, RI must be positively dreadful. Can Barrington and East Greenwich, both over 90% White, be far behind? And it's hard to imagine the drag of the lily-White East Side on the success and sophistication of the City of Providence in all its splendor of diversity. It's hard to overstate the simplification of your "diversity is good" mantra. Do some cities thrive because of diversity, or in spite of it? Perhaps in your own instance, diversity IS good. For somebody else.
What I said was, "I can agree there are few WHITE LIBERAL places, urban or rural, where there aren't comparatively lofty real estate values". Your examples of RI neighborhoods, only serve to prove that point. Although EG could be argued. Perhaps, one of the last places in America where old school liberal republicans can still be found in any numbers.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:47 AM

23,744 posts, read 18,855,643 times
Quote:

Here's one in Seekonk:

If Attleboro (a city with a fraction of the crime rate and probably 10 X better schools than Providence) is "mediocre", then where does that leave Providence?

Old 02-08-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
What I said was, "I can agree there are few WHITE LIBERAL places, urban or rural, where there aren't comparatively lofty real estate values". Your examples of RI neighborhoods, only serve to prove that point. Although EG could be argued. Perhaps, one of the last places in America where old school liberal republicans can still be found in any numbers.
You said: "the hallmark of successful and sophisticated cities is diversity". Hence my examples in Rhode Island to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island