Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 09:00 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times

Advertisements

With the latest census data ammendments available, including overcounts in both RI and MA, a clearer picture has emerged regarding population growth in the New England states over the last 20 year period. The numbers from 2000-2020 are as follows: New Hampshire leads all with a rate of 11.1 %, followed BY MA, ME and VT at 8.3%, 6.8% and 5.6% respectively. CT at .9% and RI at -.3 round out the slowest growers. The U.S. national average for the same period was 17.1 with the biggest gains being made in the South and West. Interestingly, Rhode Island joined West Virginia as one of only two states to actually shed population over the course of the last 20 years. Density may play a limited role in the results, but it's worth noting that New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the country, grew at a rate of over 10% for the period and Massachusetts, the third densest, grew at a rate of over 8%. And some sparsely populated states grew very slowly. No, domestic migration is driven primarily by economic opportunity as well as quality of life when measured against local COL and levels of taxation. In my opinion, and what I would caution a prospective relocator, is that Rhode Island remains Hood ice cream priced as Hagen-Dazs. A Chrysler priced as a Lexus. And Boston? A Lexus priced as a Lamborghini.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-04-2023 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 02:30 PM

507 posts, read 344,653 times
I enjoy analogies like that (Hood ice cream priced as Haagen-Dazs and a Lexus priced as a Lamborghini.) Honestly I feel like that applies to everywhere in the country now. Everything is overpriced, I don't see an enticing value anywhere.

We are deciding between RI and CT. I like the fact that these are not the states the herd is stampeding to. (We got the heck out of FL in 2021.) Don't get me wrong, CT and RI do seem in-demand. The housing market is dauntingly competitive for renters and buyers. But after witnessing the rapid transformation of FL we are very drawn to the sense of stability and steadiness in RI and CT.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:00 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
With the latest census data ammendments available, including overcounts in both RI and MA, a clearer picture has emerged regarding population growth in the New England states over the last 20 year period. The numbers from 2000-2020 are as follows: New Hampshire leads all with a rate of 11.1 %, followed BY MA, ME and VT at 8.3%, 6.8% and 5.6% respectively. CT at .9% and RI at -.3 round out the slowest growers. The U.S. national average for the same period was 17.1 with the biggest gains being made in the South and West. Interestingly, Rhode Island joined West Virginia as one of only two states to actually shed population over the course of the last 20 years. Density may play a limited role in the results, but it's worth noting that New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the country, grew at a rate of over 10% for the period and Massachusetts, the third densest, grew at a rate of over 8%. And some sparsely populated states grew very slowly. No, domestic migration is driven primarily by economic opportunity as well as quality of life when measured against local COL and levels of taxation. In my opinion, and what I would caution a prospective relocator, is that Rhode Island remains Hood ice cream priced as Hagen-Dazs. A Chrysler priced as a Lexus. And Boston? A Lexus priced as a Lamborghini.
Helps sway my decision to NH and even ME over RI as I look for another property!

Old 02-04-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Helps sway my decision to NH and even ME over RI as I look for another property!
Probably just a bad census. Only in Rhode Island though. And bad in 2010 as well. But only in Rhode Island. It's the damn Census Bureau. They've probably just got it in for Rhode Island. You know how they can be.

Old 02-05-2023, 03:59 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
I enjoy analogies like that (Hood ice cream priced as Haagen-Dazs and a Lexus priced as a Lamborghini.) Honestly I feel like that applies to everywhere in the country now. Everything is overpriced, I don't see an enticing value anywhere.

We are deciding between RI and CT. I like the fact that these are not the states the herd is stampeding to. (We got the heck out of FL in 2021.) Don't get me wrong, CT and RI do seem in-demand. The housing market is dauntingly competitive for renters and buyers. But after witnessing the rapid transformation of FL we are very drawn to the sense of stability and steadiness in RI and CT.
Places go in & out of real estate fashion. I'd have guessed, I'd never have seen Austin, Texas leave the stage. A bastion of cool in a state that's not. But, she's taking a bow.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Places go in & out of real estate fashion. I'd have guessed, I'd never have seen Austin, Texas leave the stage. A bastion of cool in a state that's not. But, she's taking a bow.
A December median of 600 in Austin? I wish I had saved my money.

Last edited by PureBoston; 02-05-2023 at 07:46 AM..

Old 02-05-2023, 08:16 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
I truly wonder why some are so convinced that RI has lost population when everything points to the contrary. Lack of available housing, prices rising, etc. Some personal axe to grind I suppose.

Old 02-05-2023, 08:22 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,700,436 times
Quote:
A December median of 600 in Austin? I wish I had saved my money.
Well, perhaps if you timed your buying & selling right. Some unhappy buyers about now. The shake out in Austin will still leave a solid market behind.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I truly wonder why some are so convinced that RI has lost population when everything points to the contrary. Lack of available housing, prices rising, etc. Some personal axe to grind I suppose.
The bigger question is why some are in denial. Some personal delusion I suppose. "Everything", except the actual census? The correlation between housing prices and population growth exists only in your mind. Massachusetts has some of the highest and fastest rising housing prices in the entire country yet many other states with far lower prices and appreciation are growing much faster. Aren't you the very one who counts moving trucks to bolster your own fantasy? Nuff said?

Old 02-05-2023, 11:30 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Quote:
The bigger question is why some are in denial. Some personal delusion I suppose. "Everything", except the actual census? The correlation between housing prices and population growth exists only in your mind. Massachusetts has some of the highest and fastest rising housing prices in the entire country yet many other states with far lower prices and appreciation are growing much faster. Aren't you the very one who counts moving trucks to bolster your own fantasy? Nuff said?
Of course there are parts of the country growing "much faster" than New England. I'm glad I'm not in those states!

My point is that you keep saying that RI is shrinking in population. You also have no first hand experience since you don't even live in this state. You are both ignorant and delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island