Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 05:25 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,682,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
The "constant squeeze" is because, despite an anecdotal number of mill conversions, the state is way behind the comparative eight ball in producing the new housing units necessary. Hopefully, with the governor's new housing emphasis (and federal money), this less than robust record will change.
This is really what you're counting on to stem the tide? Is it something in the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 05:30 AM

Michigan, West Virginia and Rhode Island. Americans aren't stupid.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:43 AM

8,030 posts, read 4,711,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
This is really what you're counting on to stem the tide? Is it something in the water?
Something in the water? Not. You should see the purification mechanicals my well water goes thru before it reaches the tap. You could rinse surgical instruments with that water.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:22 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
The "constant squeeze" is because, despite an anecdotal number of mill conversions, the state is way behind the comparative eight ball in producing the new housing units necessary. Hopefully, with the governor's new housing emphasis (and federal money), this less than robust record will change.

Why is the state supposed to be producing new housing units? The state can certainly force zoning changes to increase density and change laws to make it financially attractive to build new rental units.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why is the state supposed to be producing new housing units? The state can certainly force zoning changes to increase density and change laws to make it financially attractive to build new rental units.
Because private sector builders are incapable of producing affordable housing AND realize a sufficient profit to make it worthwhile. As for zoning changes, most of the state's voters are fine with their local zoning density as-is. And, they call the shots in the General Assembly.

Enter subsidized affordable housing to allow private sector builders realize a reasonable profit. Like they do successfully in other high cost states, like Massachusetts.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:50 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Enter subsidized affordable housing to allow private sector builders realize a reasonable profit. Like they do successfully in other high cost states, like Massachusetts.

Where in Massachusetts is this? At the moment, towns are paying lip service to increasing the density around MBTA stations.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Because private sector builders are incapable of producing affordable housing AND realize a sufficient profit to make it worthwhile. As for zoning changes, most of the state's voters are fine with their local zoning density as-is. And, they call the shots in the General Assembly.

Private sector builders produce nothing BUT affordable housing. Or they wouldn't be in business.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:22 AM

9,313 posts, read 14,922,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Right, it doesn't necessarily mean it's growing. It means little stock is available for sale, driving up prices. You don't need population growth for that. There could be enough folks within RI looking to make a change up of their housing situation versus newcomers from elsewhere flocking in.

I have an aunt that refers to RI as the armpit of New England. I thought it was a little harsh because RI does have some great things going for it, mainly it's natural beauty, coastal areas. However, there is also a lot of icky there! I guess if I could make it work in one of the tony suburbs then so be it, but otherwise it does seem a bit risky an investment as compared to some other northern states.

There are current residents "moving up" and buying houses as well as out of staters (especially from MA) "flocking in". I see this happening personally.

Your aunt has probably only seen RI from I95. Typical, and I wish a lot more would keep on going.

I just laugh when I hear about people thinking they're going to buy cheaply in a good area in this state.
That ship sailed long ago.

However, risky investment? I think not- I've never lost money on a house in this state. Why? Because I know where to buy- but that's true of every state. And that's the purpose of this forum, although many posters would like to destroy the value of it with nothing but snide comments- over and over and over.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Where in Massachusetts is this? At the moment, towns are paying lip service to increasing the density around MBTA stations.
Boston & urban Mass have created 1,000s of units of affordable housing this way. A leader nation-wide. It's the way most affordable housing, for incomes 80% or less, in the country. Much (if not most) of it is subsidized by HUD, sponsored by non-profit community development corporations, but actually constructed by for-profit builders.

Smaller towns & higher income small cities probably do pay lip service to creating affordable housing in Mass, as in RI. What's needed today isn't necessarily Section 8 type apartments for the low/no income, as much as decent housing for low/moderate income working families.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:38 AM

23,670 posts, read 18,773,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
There are current residents "moving up" and buying houses as well as out of staters (especially from MA) "flocking in". I see this happening personally.

Your aunt has probably only seen RI from I95. Typical, and I wish a lot more would keep on going.

I just laugh when I hear about people thinking they're going to buy cheaply in a good area in this state.
That ship sailed long ago.

However, risky investment? I think not- I've never lost money on a house in this state. Why? Because I know where to buy- but that's true of every state. And that's the purpose of this forum, although many posters would like to destroy the value of it with nothing but snide comments- over and over and over.

Typical. Just another rant against "out of staters" and about what an expert you are, yet you have yet to offer any actual advice to the OP other than "move to New Hampshire instead". Gimme a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island