Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 02:10 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I disagree. I grew up in Pawtucket about a mile from this area and it was and still is a different world. My neighborhood just west of Newport Avenue (near Columbus) by Slater Park and St Teresa's is still a quiet and fairly decent residential area.

The Carpionato Group thinks enough of this area that it intends to spend 80M to revamp the Narragansett Park Plaza on the line with E Providence into a “lifestyle center”.

Pawtucket’s version of Chapel View moves forward
Pawtucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
One of my favorite neighborhoods in Rhode Island is Countryside near Slater Park in Pawtucket. From a suburban point of view a mile is just next door. But, in urban environs it can indeed be an entirely different world.
You guys seem to be missing the point. The poster specifically asked about 110 Kenyon. The drive-by shooting took place a mile away. I suggested that 110 Kenyon shouldn't be viewed/dismissed as being a different world just because it's a mile away in a city (while pointing out that a mile can very much be a different world in cities). In this case it simply isn't a different world. The drive-by shooters were caught 0.2 mile away from 110 Kenyon. This is even further away from the crime scene. And they weren't just driving through the area where they were caught; they were caught in a driveway on Coyle. While not definitive, and without further clarification, a reasonable assumption can be made that the drive-by shooters likely live in and/or frequent the area where they were caught.

Of course we can pick out certain points in Pawtucket where a mile away can be a different world, but that just isn't the case here. I think it's important that the poster (that inquired about 110 Kenyon) is made aware of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 02:32 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You guys seem to be missing the point. The poster specifically asked about 110 Kenyon. The drive-by shooting took place a mile away. I suggested that 110 Kenyon shouldn't be viewed/dismissed as being a different world just because it's a mile away in a city (while pointing out that a mile can very much be a different world in cities). In this case it simply isn't a different world. The drive-by shooters were caught 0.2 mile away from 110 Kenyon. This is even further away from the crime scene. And they weren't just driving through the area where they were caught; they were caught in a driveway on Coyle. While not definitive, and without further clarification, a reasonable assumption can be made that the drive-by shooters likely live in and/or frequent the area where they were caught.

Of course we can pick out certain points in Pawtucket where a mile away can be a different world, but that just isn't the case here. I think it's important that the poster (that inquired about 110 Kenyon) is made aware of that.

I wasn't specifically addressing the neighborhood around Kenyon Ave. My post was a response to your comment that seemed to imply that the distance of a mile in a city like Pawtucket made no difference.

As for the shooters, one seems to live in Pawtucket while the other is from Providence. I guess by some people's inferences then, the entire city of Providence, including the east side, must then be dangerous.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I wasn't specifically addressing the neighborhood around Kenyon Ave. My post was a response to your comment that seemed to imply that the distance of a mile in a city like Pawtucket made no difference.
In most cases it doesn't. Again, we can selectively pick certain points where it does make a difference.

Quote:
As for the shooters, one seems to live in Pawtucket while the other is from Providence.
There were 5 people in that car. The 2 that were named/pictured along with 3 minors.

Quote:
I guess by some people's inferences then, the entire city of Providence, including the east side, must then be dangerous.
I don't know how you arrived at that. I would expect better from you.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Another Pawtucket neighborhood once again is in the news for a large vacant mill fire. The downtown site is the former Roberts Chemical at 258 Pine Street near its intersections with Goff Avenue and Bayley Street. It is adjacent to the proposed Pawtucket MBTA station site which itself was home to the Union Wadding mill which burned down in 2010. The damage is so severe to the Roberts Chemical building that state Fire Marshal's Investigation Unit, said the structural integrity of the building is compromised. The building is a total loss, and the rest of it may likely need to be torn down, he said.
The massive fire was apparently from a meth lab. I heard that the fire could be seen from the East Bay.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:52 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
The massive fire was apparently from a meth lab. I heard that the fire could be seen from the East Bay.

Wrong. The latest reports say otherwise.

The Pawtucket Fired Dept has indicated that the building was used by squatters, and while drug paraphernalia was found inside, the site was not believed to be used for drug making.

Mill building on fire again in Pawtucket | Photos, videos - News - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Old 10-06-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Wrong. The latest reports say otherwise.
What I posted was accurate at the time it was posted -- as reported by both Channel 10 and Channel 6.

Pawtucket mill fire reignites; officials investigate possible link to meth lab

Pawtucket mill fire reignites; Investigators look at possible meth lab connection

The latest update (from Channel 6 about an hour ago):

Updated:
Saturday, October 6th 2018, 2:04 PM EDT

"Officials say Friday night's flare-up was in a different part of the building from the potential meth lab."

Old 10-06-2018, 11:27 PM

https://twitter.com/NBC10/status/1048697032037289985

Old 10-07-2018, 04:47 AM

8,065 posts, read 4,688,251 times
Quote:
What I posted was accurate at the time it was posted -- as reported by both Channel 10 and Channel 6.

Pawtucket mill fire reignites; officials investigate possible link to meth lab

Pawtucket mill fire reignites; Investigators look at possible meth lab connection

The latest update (from Channel 6 about an hour ago):

Updated:
Saturday, October 6th 2018, 2:04 PM EDT

"Officials say Friday night's flare-up was in a different part of the building from the potential meth lab."
I know being a forum neighborhood crime reporter is tough business. But, it's probably a good idea to let investigations ripen a bit before reporting "possible" leads.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
I know being a forum neighborhood crime reporter is tough business. But, it's probably a good idea to let investigations ripen a bit before reporting "possible" leads.
I think it's probably a good idea for some people to refrain from posting when they have nothing to add to a discussion and are simply looking for an argument.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Current news reports (as of today) continue to mention a possible connection to a meth lab.

Warehouse fire possibly connected to meth lab under investigation

"Police say investigators found bottles filled with explosive chemicals and drug paraphernalia in the rubble."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island