Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 AM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Some people only want to solidify what they already believe and want to believe, even in view of facts placed in front of them.
That's the point I have been making about Pawtucket and Providence neighborhoods for quite some time. On the ground reality is much better than alarmist posters broadcast here. It seems those broadcasts are based on little more than reputation and to the exclusion of positive changes in those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 06:20 AM

17,775 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
LexisNexis is a highly regarded data company.

And if you go to this crimewatch page of the Pawtucket Police Department, that particular mapper is linked on their page as *the* way to map crime in Pawtucket.

I haven't explored it too deeply but it seems credible to me.
Dude, it goes by police input. There isn't even anything for Providence. And I'm 100% sure the Providence police dept submits crime info to a similar but different crime mapping tool. I don't recall where it is, but I think it's part of a real estate website...and, unlike this one, it's legit.

This tool is garbage.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
That's the point I have been making about Pawtucket and Providence neighborhoods for quite some time. On the ground reality is much better than alarmist posters broadcast here. It seems those broadcasts are based on little more than reputation and to the exclusion of positive changes in those neighborhoods.

Yup, "reputation" and google searches. I can find something bad going on in anyplace with any density of people. Yet, crime (Esp violent crime) is way down since the 80s. Are cities are overwhelmingly safer than they were in the 70s and 80s. It's people living behind a screen... I just cringe when I see someone from say, Iowa complaining about crime in Chicago. They just cower in fear thanks to the 24 hr news cycle. The reality is, the odds are the only crime you will deal with is a bike or package being stolen, maybe a car window broken. The rest is "feeling unsafe" usually due to diversity and/or transient populations.

That said, while I have a few friends that live in Pawtucket, it doesn't do much for me. Found an OK mechanic. Machines with Magnets and that old school bowling alley are alright, but meh otherwise.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:14 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
LexisNexis, whose brand is on that crime map, is a highly regarded data company.

And if you go to this crimewatch page of the Pawtucket Police Department, that particular mapper is linked on their page as *the* way to map crime in Pawtucket.

I haven't explored it too deeply but it seems credible to me.
Thank you ormari for getting into the weeds when crime obsessed posters - bent on bashing neighborhoods - challenge the facts. I don't have the patience.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Thank you ormari for getting into the weeds when crime obsessed posters - bent on bashing neighborhoods - challenge the facts. I don't have the patience.
What facts? Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of the area (and a shred of common sense) can clearly see that the linked tool is incomplete.

Several posters here have no business commenting in this thread.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:01 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
What facts? Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of the area (and a shred of common sense) can clearly see that the linked tool is incomplete.

Several posters here have no business commenting in this thread.
Exactly. Certain posters have a crime obsession. Using this hobby to target & stigmatized neighborhoods where they apparently don't like the composition is suspect. And, going to so much trouble here to trash certain neighborhoods where residents enjoy living is just weird.

Last edited by independent man; 10-03-2018 at 04:23 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 06:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Exactly. Certain posters have a crime obsession. Using this hobby to target & stigmatized neighborhoods where they apparently don't like the composition is suspect. And, going to so much trouble here to trash certain neighborhoods where residents enjoy living is just weird.

Exactly. People (usually elderly and children) feel "unsafe" in areas for illegitimate reasons and try to promote their nefarious biases to others. Its very sad to see. I usually give the elderly a pass.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:12 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I seriously question the accuracy. No crimes were reported in the past month anywhere in the vicinity of Prospect Heights and Beverage Hill? I find that very hard to believe. Even setting the date back to January 1st, there's only a handful of crimes shown for the past 9 months. No way.

Did you check off more boxes under "events"? I see 12 incidents within Prospect Heights and 27 at Galego Court since 1/1/2018.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:08 PM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Did you check off more boxes under "events"? I see 12 incidents within Prospect Heights and 27 at Galego Court since 1/1/2018.
Yup. The default view doesn't show everything... one has to figure out that they need to set the filters so they can see "crimes of interest" by category. Though it is not too difficult. Standard crime mapper procedure.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Quote:
Yup. The default view doesn't show everything... one has to figure out that they need to set the filters so they can see "crimes of interest" by category. Though it is not too difficult. Standard crime mapper procedure.
So, there's been on average 1 arrest every 3 weeks at Prospect Heights in 2018.

And there's been on average 3 arrests per month at Galego Court in 2018.

You guys do realize these are public housing projects in Pawtucket, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island