Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:36 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzchessdude View Post
We are thinking of moving to Providence from upstate NY.
Key to our decision are school options.

Can anyone share thoughts about Classical HS.
We have a 14 y/o daughter, who will be in 10th grade next Fall.
Strong student, a little shy, a little over-protected but well-loved.
We want the best for her educationally and socially.
We value public education, but want to keep her safe, avoid unnecessary exposure to the negative side of popular culture.
Socially, would like her to grow but feel welcomed.
Academically, would like her to be challenged and supported.

How does this match Classical HS?

We are also thinking about Barrington, but would rather avoid the commute and get a little more diversity in our lives, if possible.
Barrington? Then you will probably be looking at the East Side for living. There is a constant movement of families between the East Side(Providence) and Barrington. Barrington High and Classical are equal in terms of education. Barrington High is 99% white and Classical has the urban diversification that many seek to broaden their living experience. Many of the Classical students are challenged by their living curcumstances. They are motivated by their urban environment. The school itself is not in a ghetto. It borders the downcity area and an area that is seeing constant renewal. Providence is a city that has many former industrial/business buildings being converted to condos. In Classical's immediate area condo's in these rehabs sell for 300,000-450,000 and are full. To be sure there is still an element that you will find in any city. Drugs can be found for sale within blocks. The former YMCA, across the street, is now a Traveler's Aid and has over 150 rooms for let. Classical shares a campus with Central High School. Central is the ultimate under achieving innner city school populated mostly by blacks, hispanics and illiegals. But it is improving. Both schools have been side by side for over 85 years. There has always been little interaction among the students.

Barrington is a great place. Surrounded by water; 15-25 minutes from Providence and none of the inner city school problems. They have great athletic programs for the students and to be sure 98% of the high school graduating classes go on to higher learning. The student problems in Barrington tend to be the parties on weekends with drinking and drugs. When these evils turn up in Barrington, the reaction is "Not in Barrington!" Unlike the inner city the evils hide in Barrington, but they are there.

So, if you are the over protected parents, then Barrington is for you. Providence will give you the amenities you can't get in Barrington, but it seems private school is for you if you live there. Classical is there for you, RIPTA does provide direct bus service from Classical to the East Side, if you can handle the diversity. Tough choice, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 21,876 times
I am a senior at classical high school. Comming out of middle school I had the option of several private/boarding schools. I believe i made a good choice. The school is ranked first among public schools in RI and also among the top 100 public schools in the US. The graduation rate is around 98-99%. It also has one of the most dominating sports programs in the state (football,basketball, soccer, boys and girls track all divison/state champs this season) It is located in the inner-city near the downtown area. It is the most diverse school I've ever been a part of if that is what you are looking for. I'm black but have best friends from all backrounds jew,asian, even german,and everyone treats everyone with respect. A school such as that prepares someone for real life both in and out the classroom. Its located in the inner-city which is nothing to be afraid of (btw the providence police station is 2 blocks over). Its located only feet from central high school which is sadly struggling but on the come up. There are no interactions between the two schools due to timing and scheduals.
Barrington is a good school as well but the students seem to be sheltered and make poor decesions, dont be surprised with stories of drunk kids crashing into trees out there its a reoccuring theme. Barrington finacially is better off with more funds for more programs and better materials. Yet Classical High scores higher in all areas. For a free education Classical makes the most of thing with high achieving competive students.
Classical is a great school and could save you money down the road
good luck

Old 03-02-2007, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 25,874 times
Default Thank you Nigelpizza

Thanks for your comments. It is great to hear from someone who actually attends Classical. How are the teachers there? Are they as motivated and hard working as the students?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
The student problems in Barrington tend to be the parties on weekends with drinking and drugs. When these evils turn up in Barrington, the reaction is "Not in Barrington!" Unlike the inner city the evils hide in Barrington, but they are there. .
I have to completely agree with this statement, as well as the Classical student's comment about periodically hearing about Barrington kids driving into trees (although that could have been stated with a bit more sensitivity, since I have been to too many of my students' funerals over the years). It's a problem, absolutely. And yes, it mystified us educators in Barrington about many (majority) of the Barrington parents still not "seeing" the problem, even as the high school sadly had fatalities in the 8 years I was there.

That being said, you are going to find problems anywhere. It's all a matter of whether you want to deal with the Classical problems or the Barrington problems. There is no easy answer, and as both an educator and a parent, it's very stressful!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:23 AM

474 posts, read 2,192,737 times
Barrington is beautiful; I don't know what experiences tracey had there that caused her to move to TX after 15 years in RI but it sounds like she is trying to discourage people from Barrington. There are similar problems in high schools everywhere.

I am a lifelong RI resident, [except the last 4 yrs.), and a former RI Realtor. There are no problems in Barrington that you won't find in any other affluent or upper middle class community in any other state in the country.

As anywhere, teach your children the proper values and how to say "no", how to respect themselves, have good study habits and know how to choose their friends, and they will shine.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:08 AM

I think I've been pretty fair in my assessment of Barrington - I've stressed the schools are fantastic and it IS a beautiful community, absolutely. But I will say after 15 years in RI, and my husband (a lifelong Rhode Islander until this past June!) agrees, that Barrington has a bigger problem with drinking, drugs and snobby people than the majority of the state. It's just my opinion of course, but I heard from countless parents that I met with over the years that they were unpleasantly shocked by the community in this way when they moved, because all they heard were the glowing reviews of the schools and the community. I feel people should hear the "other side" of Barrington. Again, just my opinion and you can certainly disagree.

I also think that if you are not involved in the school system as an educator or as a parent of a teenage child, it's fairly easy to be oblivious to this. There is a large portion of Barrington that is retirees (although that is significantly decreasing as taxes rise for school issues) and they may love it and not know what I'm talking about.

So, just to clarify, I really don't think I'm trying to discourage people from Barrington, rather present a realistic portrait. If you were to hear from other people like me (educators who have lived there a long time) I'm willing to bet you would hear a lot of these sentiments echoed - many of my friends in the system were absolutely struggling whether to stay for the education for their kids or get out because they just couldn't handle the society there.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 AM

474 posts, read 2,192,737 times
Quoting Tracey from the thread, "Should I Move to RI"

Okay, first, I had to completely crack up at johnnycakes response. Very nice!

"That being said (and I'm a recent RI export to Texas after living in RI for 15 years), I do see the previous poster's point about the friendliness and interesting RI vernacular. Having lived in various other parts of the country and Europe for a year, I think Rhode Islanders ARE less friendly. Absolutely. That's not to say that they are all jerks by any means, but as a general rule - yeah, not the most gregarious and friendly folks.

And truly, the "youze guys" and other ignorant sounding phrases drove me NUTS. I remember my best friend's Dad all through junior high and high school said things like that all the time, and even as a young teenager, I cringed. He was a college educated officer in the National Guard. And most of my husband's family (native Rhode Islanders) sound completely unintelligent half the time (and they're not stupid by any means).

So, yeah...I have to concede that there is some validity (in my mind) to that perspective!"

Seriously Tracey's perception is that Rhode Islanders for the most part are ignorant and unfriendly. Except, of course, the "educators". It must be a terrible place to live if one is highly educated, having to cringe and put up with the uneducated dorks, knowing inside you are much better than the majority. It must have been so unfulfilling as an "educator".

Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 PM

Thank you for making my point about Rhode Islanders, AppleAnnie! I'm just giving my honest feedback, not looking to insult or put people down.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 21,876 times
the teachers at classical are fine. You have to take a test to get in so teachers understand everyone in the classroom is smart to some extent . Teachers challenge the students and students understand what needs to get done. The faculty is very down to earth and approach (based on my experience) Theres also a good suport system in terms of education with a volunteer tutoring service one block from the school. Teachers dont mind stay after-school to help kids or comming in early.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:57 PM

11 posts, read 55,745 times
Default Getting in to Classical

Can anyone give advice about how to prepare for/pass the Classical HS entrance exam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island