Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM

23 posts, read 67,905 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to RI with my spouse later this summer and we've been looking at the new Slater Cotton Mill Apartments. My question is does anybody know what this neighborhood is like (S. Union & Church St)? Is safety a big concern?

Also any thoughts on the new Slater Mill apartments? There is a chance I might not get to visit the area again until we move, but I hate to base a decision solely on the word of a leasing agent. It seems as if these are pretty safe bets being new and all, at least until we get settled in and have time to explore the area more.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 05:44 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
It's probably an OK place to live for 6 mos or so until you can explore the area. It would be a central location, but I think you will find that Pawtucket is a mixed bag and will certainly not be a first choice location for the long term and not a very good introduction to RI either.

Pawtucket is an old mill town that is struggling to make a come back and is full of welfare recipients and etc. Probably safe enough, but many parts are not what you'd call very pleasant. If I had to pick a loft, I'd look at downtown Providence or the ones in Rumford.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 AM

23 posts, read 67,905 times
Thanks for the input.

The issue is we will need to stay where ever we move for at least 1 year as I will be far too busy to move again before next summer. Slater Mill is offering an especially good move in deal that could offset our relocation costs and is on a direct bus line to my work. But, my major concern is safety. I don't want to be worried about waiting on the bus or getting my groceries into the house.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsel View Post
I will be relocating to RI with my spouse later this summer and we've been looking at the new Slater Cotton Mill Apartments. My question is does anybody know what this neighborhood is like (S. Union & Church St)? Is safety a big concern?

Also any thoughts on the new Slater Mill apartments? There is a chance I might not get to visit the area again until we move, but I hate to base a decision solely on the word of a leasing agent. It seems as if these are pretty safe bets being new and all, at least until we get settled in and have time to explore the area more.

Thanks!
Hi there Amsel - I would agree that Pawtucket is a mixed bag. If possible, take a look at a few other areas. I see you are coming from Chapel Hill......I moved from RI to Cary (work at Duke) a year ago. If you like the feel of Chapel Hill, you would definitely love the East Side of Providence (not to be confused with the city of East Providence). You may also really enjoy Pawtuxet Village (sort of like Franklin St in CH) in Warwick or the Edgewood section of Cranston (has the feel of outlying streets in CH). All of these areas are on the busline and all are safe. Where will you be working??

Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM

55 posts, read 167,792 times
I lived in RI all my life, now in Western NC; but moving back to RI for family reasons. There is no way I would live in the City of Pawtucket. Depressed area, dirty, crime etc.; the City is filing for bankruptcy last I read. Try anything South of Providence, or north of 295, Cumberland, Lincoln etc. Or even over the border into Attleboro MA or thereabouts.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,909 times
I actually am having the same issue. I am relocating to Providence from MA to I just looked at Slatter Cotton Mill on wednesday. It is a very nice area, great size aparments and good deals. I do have a friend who is from the area and she said not to live in Pawtucket. I also met an old italian lady at her furniture store and she told my mother and I that Pawtucket is filled with drug dealers. I do know a Pawtucket firefighter who said that area isnt all that bad, so I am not sure what to do as well.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:42 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Their website says their rents start at $1,025 per mo? for a one bed? For that price, there are plenty of other places you can look. Since you're in the MA area, just drive around for a day and look for rental signs- right now there are loads because the students have moved out.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,971 times
I'm also considering moving to the Pawtucket area and into the Slater Mill Apartments. I just got a job in Groton, CT and my boyfriend works in Boxboro, MA and Pawtucket is right in the middle. We are looking to rent an apartment for a year or so at least. We have no children so we don't care about schools or anything like that. Just looking to make sure that if I'm walking around the area it's not going to be unsafe. I know there are some better and some worse parts of Pawtucket already but I really want to know specifically about the area around Union Street.

One of the things about Slater Mill we really liked is that it is a larger complex (we would much rather rent from a larger company than just a random dude) that has amenities like a gym. We have been looking online but there doesn't seem to be anything like it in the area. Is there anywhere else around that is similar? We need to stay as close to I-95 as possible and can't go too far away from the center of Pawtucket or the commute starts getting too long for one of us.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
There is a reason they have trouble renting in Pawtucket, and it's all been said before, well said by Hollytree and others. You will NOT be able to walk in Pawtucket. It IS full of crime. For the amount of rent they are charging, you would be much better off going closer to Boxboro, get a job up there (it's a lonnnng drive from Pawt), and settle down. And it is a lonnnnng drive to Groton CT. Consider hours on the roads in the winter, the cost of living is horrid in RI. Just putting gas in your cars, and insurance and taxes, will more than make up for rents near Boxboro. Consider income taxes to 3 states for another thing. If you've lived in Chapel Hill NC, life would be a nightmare for you in Pawtucket as will be the travel to work for both of you.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:59 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyWNC View Post
I lived in RI all my life, now in Western NC; but moving back to RI for family reasons. There is no way I would live in the City of Pawtucket. Depressed area, dirty, crime etc.; the City is filing for bankruptcy last I read. Try anything South of Providence, or north of 295, Cumberland, Lincoln etc. Or even over the border into Attleboro MA or thereabouts.
Don't mix up Central Falls with Pawtucket. Pawtucket has Oak Hill, Darlington, Power Road area, Country Club plat, etc. all good places to live in. Oak Hill and Country Club are both high end. Darlington, Newport Ave toward East Providence are good areas. Slater Park is a wonderful place to have a family day. People seem to dwell too much on drugs and crime with cities like Pawtucket and Woonsocket. The reality is it is everywhere. Even in Warwick, Cranston and the East Side. Yes, there are areas in the city of Pawtucket not to live in, but the Slater Loft's is not one of them. It is within 100 yards of the police station and has a beautiful setting overlooking the falls. There are summer concerts next to the nearby fire station; country, celtic music, etc. music. does this sound like a depressed area. Yes, there is no shopping and you can't walk a mile without hitting lessor areas, but the loft's are a good place to live a year to get a feel for Rhode Island. Quick access to I-95 and the busiest RIPTA(bus line) in Rhode Island. Providence is 20 minutes away by bus. Rental's are low everywhere in Rhode Ilsand because of the economy and the competition for renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island