Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 14,165 times

Advertisements

We are a family with 2 small children and 2 small dogs. I will have a degree in Social Work next year and we are considering moving to Richmond. From what I have seen on the internet its a beautiful city. Could anyone possibly tell me is the crime truely as bad as the statistics make it seem? Also what would be a good area to look for houses? I would like to be with in 20-30 minutes of driving to work and school systems are important also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 04:29 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,358,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren0311 View Post
We are a family with 2 small children and 2 small dogs. I will have a degree in Social Work next year and we are considering moving to Richmond. From what I have seen on the internet its a beautiful city. Could anyone possibly tell me is the crime truely as bad as the statistics make it seem? Also what would be a good area to look for houses? I would like to be with in 20-30 minutes of driving to work and school systems are important also.
Might help to know where you will be working.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 PM

I'm not I will have a degree in soxial work so any drug facility or hospital

Old 08-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Also are gangs promienent?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 19,849 times
Default Richmond

There are gangs, but they are only in the projects, which most cities have these days. Richmond has some of the best urban neighborhoods in the country - northside, Fan, Museum District, area just south of downtown, Shockoe Bottom (very cool). Lofts are going up all over the place. We also have alot of houses in the burbs, if that is your cup of tea. Richmond is going in the direction of renovating existing structures as oppposed to building all new, like Raleigh. As a result, it has a lot more character and seems to be more like New Orleans in that regard.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:46 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,358,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren0311 View Post
Also what would be a good area to look for houses? I would like to be with in 20-30 minutes of driving to work and school systems are important also.
There's a difference between Richmond, the city-which is actually fairly small-and Richmond MSA-which is very, very large.

If you're working IN Richmond, the city itself, pretty much anything in the metro area is probably close to 30 minutes to the city. In a few cases, perhaps SLIGHTLY over depending on where in the city you were. However, if you depart the city limits itself, you can't really ask that question and have it make sense.

Let me give you an example that will make it clear and is actually plausible: What if you got a job in Glen Allen (in the MSA) and were living in Colonial Heights (also technically in the MSA). Per Mapquest, over 40 minutes (barely, but still over).

Generally you'll probably be fine anywhere in the MSA-as long as you're working in the city limits itself. If you fail to make it clear where you'll be working, you're asking a question that is unanswerable.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 PM

5 posts, read 8,221 times
Lauren,
There are sites were you can see where the actual crimes occur in Richmond (try the Richmond Times Dispatch website) You will notice it is mostly in very few "pockets" mostly in the Inner-city. Actually The Greater Richmond Area which includes Chesterfield and Henrico County is one of the best areas in the country to relocate accordin to several publications and one of te best also for small businesses.
I am a Realtor, and would gladly guide you and help you decide where to live if you'd like me to. Please email me at [EMAIL="Sellnhomes@comcast.net"]Sellnhomes@comcast.net[/EMAIL]

Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,540 times
The city of richmond has a very high crime rate, but believe it or not, it's much better now than it used to be in the 80s. But here is the truth - you have two small children - do not live in the city - don't listen to those talking about the fan, shockhoe bottom, lofts, churchill, etc- this is urban living and you wander out at night , you are liable to be a victim. Live in suburban chesterfield or henrico county - these areas are very safe and have very low crime rates. visit downtown as often as you like - do not live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: