Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM

206 posts, read 432,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
never been in petersburg but been alittle through it i think petersburg is a step back in time probably 200 years, and it seems like its a a black area (but thats not sayin much cause richmond is too) so its probably not surrounded by smart individuals (i am african american) then it has weak south park mall havent been in 2 years but i can imagine how it is now probably more ghetto stores to fit the demographics of the area, hmm.... its has Virginia state U (trash college dumb HBCU) so the town probably has alot of ignorant kids around it, then it had richard bland (dumb college, more ignorant kids around the town) other then that i know nothing about petersburg careless though
I have a degree from one of the top universities in this country, but it started with an AS from Richard Bland, so I guess I'm dumb. It was so dumb of me to save all that tuition money getting random general ed. credits out of the way. It was also really dumb of me to avoid my 4-year university's requirement of living in a cramped old dorm the first year. Yes... very dumb.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM

68 posts, read 118,368 times
Quote:
never been in petersburg but been alittle through it i think petersburg is a step back in time probably 200 years, and it seems like its a a black area (but thats not sayin much cause richmond is too) so its probably not surrounded by smart individuals (i am african american) then it has weak south park mall havent been in 2 years but i can imagine how it is now probably more ghetto stores to fit the demographics of the area, hmm.... its has Virginia state U (trash college dumb HBCU) so the town probably has alot of ignorant kids around it, then it had richard bland (dumb college, more ignorant kids around the town) other then that i know nothing about petersburg careless though
LMAO I so agree with you. I just happened to be born in Petersburg.
I never grew up in Petersburg, however I've been there a couple of times.
I think it's worst than Richmond, but I don't know how that is possible when Richmond includes Petersburg in it's metro population. I'm lucky to come out of that burned down civil war town. I still ask my mother why she was in that forsaken place in 1990.

I don't understand why blacks even go to HBCU's in the first place. It's not like you gain any credibility on your resume. I'd rather graduate from a well-known Community College than a HBCU. I mean I don't know if it is the funding that bothers me or the lack of anything to do around Richard Bland or VSU. I mean at least us VCU kids get raggedy ann Broad St.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 PM

106 posts, read 263,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank90 View Post
LMAO I so agree with you. I just happened to be born in Petersburg.
I never grew up in Petersburg, however I've been there a couple of times.
I think it's worst than Richmond, but I don't know how that is possible when Richmond includes Petersburg in it's metro population. I'm lucky to come out of that burned down civil war town. I still ask my mother why she was in that forsaken place in 1990.

I don't understand why blacks even go to HBCU's in the first place. It's not like you gain any credibility on your resume. I'd rather graduate from a well-known Community College than a HBCU. I mean I don't know if it is the funding that bothers me or the lack of anything to do around Richard Bland or VSU. I mean at least us VCU kids get raggedy ann Broad St.
lol i dont understand why blacks go to hbcu's either i shoot alot of people down who go to them cause i just know what type of people they attract & the ones who go there and generally there standards are lower then regular schools, im guessing to give blacks more opportunity to get education (since they couldn't back in the day) and off the street, VUU, VSU & NSU are the worst alot of ignorant people i went to hs with go there so i feel like i automatically know what to expect of the ppl who attend ( i know thats wrong but it is what is is lol) i think HBCU's are like the easy way out anyway to a education, i feel like i wouldnt be took-in seriously if i had it on a resume it sure doesnt give anybody the "WOW" when you tell them

Old 02-17-2011, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 13,711 times
Petersburg is not the best place to live. The schools do lack structure and the city its self does appear to be poor. I live in Petersburg and yes I agree it is not the best place but honestly where is?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 19,062 times
This is a direct quote from Dawn Holmes of the Petersburg Department of Tourism that she sent to me when I tried to help them prevent derogatory information about Petersburg being posted on Doc Thompson's Facebook page. The Terms of Service for Facebook do not permit this type of attack on a group of people:

"Petersburg has many problems just like millions of other cities that have essentially become 'welfare' or 'unemployement' centers. When the tobacco industry died so did cities such as Richmond and Petersburg - it is not the city that is at fault, it is the misuse of a system that was designed to help those in need until they could get back on their feet but has for several generations been used as a lifestyle. A work force is needed - find a way to offer work to those those willing to work the opportunity to do so - stop feeding the parasites. If a person is not willing to work why does the taxpayer have to take care of them? Taxpayers should be ashamed that they enable a government to pay children to have children - its a crime which perpetuates itself."

However, I was surprised to learn that the USA had millions of cities, let alone millions that she alleges are this terrible.

Dawn Holmes made this response to me when I notified her of the post on Doc Thomson's Facebook page. Doc is the local "shock jock" on WRVA 1140 AM and 700WLW Radio in Cincinnati, Ohio. This is the post on Doc's page:

Chad Quella: Petersburg, The Worst Part of Virginia
What a festering hellhole. A region rich in American history and a once-vibrant center of transportation and industry now is spoiled by the giant stain of Petersburg smack in the middle of it. Present-day Petersburg is an astounding monument to what happens after decades of progressive government and entitlement mentality populace get together to overwhelm individual responsibility and affluence.

Baradost What a terrible thing to say! I have been to the historic section and found it very interesting. Saturday at 10:43pm

Chad Quella: We're glad you enjoyed your visit and even more glad you made it out of Petersburg alive. The frequent murders, rapes, robberies, horrible schools, unemployment, drug abuse and prostitution were perhaps not included in your tour. Yesterday at 6:48pm

Last edited by Social Justice; 02-19-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 PM

20 posts, read 59,139 times
Honestly, I can't think of a single good thing about Petersburg. It pretty much sucks all around.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 13,443 times
Actually, I've grown up in Petersburg and lived here my entire life and I can tell you that it's not anywhere near as bad as people say. There are two areas that are pretty bad but the problems there have been exaggerated. I actually live really close to Fort Lee and I know that that area and the historic area aren't too bad. I will say that the school system is severely lacking. I attended school there for two years and my mother put me in a private school, which I am extremely grateful for. If you are by chance looking for a good school district, I'd personally recommend Colonial Heights over Chester and Prince George.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 53,587 times
Sorry to keep dragging this thread along... but does anyone know anything about Summit Pointe apartments in Petersburg? I'm looking at apartments this weekend up in Richmond but Summit Pointe allows pit bulls and is much closer to Fort Lee where I'll be interning this fall. (I grew up in Chester so I'm familiar with the area, but not Petersburg as much. Just know that most of it is ghetto and these apartments probably are too)

Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 PM

161 posts, read 529,023 times
Quote:
lol i dont understand why blacks go to hbcu's either i shoot alot of people down who go to them cause i just know what type of people they attract & the ones who go there and generally there standards are lower then regular schools, im guessing to give blacks more opportunity to get education (since they couldn't back in the day) and off the street, VUU, VSU & NSU are the worst alot of ignorant people i went to hs with go there so i feel like i automatically know what to expect of the ppl who attend ( i know thats wrong but it is what is is lol) i think HBCU's are like the easy way out anyway to a education, i feel like i wouldnt be took-in seriously if i had it on a resume it sure doesnt give anybody the "WOW" when you tell them
If you write a resume anything like you've written the message above, I don't think anyone would take you seriously,no matter where you claim to have gone to school. There are many fine HBCU's and they provide a great opportunity for many African-Americans and, increasingly, those from other ethnic groups.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 19,595 times
Welcome to the Tri-Cities area, and enjoy your new surroundings! However...

Petersburg is a wholesale DISASTER! It is the worst place in the entire state of Virginia. One person above called it "Richmond's Camden" and they were absolutely right! DO NOT move to Petersburg.

If you do you can expect the following: Cockroach infestation (which is very difficult to rid yourself of once they're in your things, even after you move), vandalism to your property, hearing gunfire and screams of violence being done in the night, theft, and possibly assault, arson, or murder. I'm not joking.

Here are some realistic alternatives near Ft. Lee: Prince George County, Chester, Chesterfield County, most of Colonial Heights, and a few parts of Hopewell. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond