Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 67,778 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband has just received orders to Fort Lee and we're looking for a place to live.
I've been searching online for some areas to live and I've absolutely fallen in love with the Petersburg historic district. I would love to buy and re-hab one of those old homes and Olde Towne Petersburg looks really neat.
Now for the BUT....I've heard and read on some city-data sites that the crime rate in Petersburg is the highest in VA and one of the highest in the country ?
A couple of my husbands buddies that had attended school there said that the Army made Petersburg 'off limits' due to it's high rate of crime ?
Can anyone advise us on this ? Is Petersburg really that dangerous or is this a slight over exaggeration ?
My husband is moving from TX and I'm joining him from Singapore which is one of the safest cities in the world, am I in for a rude awakening ?

Would appreciate any advice ?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:46 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
Hi there! And an early welcome to Fort Lee! My husband is retired Army, and currently with DeCA. I still volunteer on the installation, primarily with the Spouses' Club. We do have a website, but I am in the process of learning how to update it, so you might want to check the group (Fort Lee Area Spouses' Club) page we maintain on one of the major social networking sites (last time I mentioned it by name the moderator cut the link!). Hopefully you can get some input from some of the club members.

You also might want to do a search on this forum for some of my previous posts. I've put a ton on here about the Fort Lee area. As for personal experience, we are in Chester, and it was a great relocation for us. I've got kids in the Chesterfield County Schools and the kids are doing great! Sorry I don't have any personal experience to relate on Petersburg.

If you have any other questions, let us know. This forum is a pretty helpful bunch!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 67,778 times
Thanks so much 'onevthoki' I'll certainly look for that website. Looks like my husband is pushing for Colonial Heights, but I'll still do my research on Petersburg.
Thanks Again for the input.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 PM

42 posts, read 152,811 times
Do you have school age kids? That would be something you want to consider. Alot of the Petersburg schools are lacking accreditation. We PCS'd here in Jul. The housing office can give you a list of decent areas to look vs not so good.
I honestly have never known any post to not have certain areas off limits to soldiers.
We have liked the area so far.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,512 times
I've been through Petersburg a few times and it is ghetto! I suggested it a long time ago and got flamed for even mentioning it as an option. It's a shame, it gives Richmond a suburb with a real town center, instead of the typical urban sprawl you see everywhere else. But in either case, Petersburg could be considered Richmond's Camden.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 32,882 times
Petersburg's overall crime rate declined by 50% in 2009 and the reduction in crime trend is continuing in 2010. Petersburg has a great historic district and is a good place to live. This site tracks numbers by zip code. Petersburg's zip code applies to several surrounding counties (Virginia is a Commonwealth, so city and counties are separate areas). Because of this system, statistics attributed to Petersburg are often incorrect.
[MOD CUT]
Give Petersburg a visit . . . I think you will like it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-29-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 04:52 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Petersburg has a great collection of old homes but also has one of the weakest school systems in the region. Crime is still a significant problem (check online for latest statistics). If you have school age children consider Chesterfield County or Dinwiddie County. Good luck on your move.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 32,255 times
I live in Petersburg, I am a registered nurse and I have never had a problem. There are a collection of old homes in a very nice section near Lee Park. The average ghetto baby mama cannot afford to live in these homes. The only thing to consider is the school system, it is pretty bad. but if you have money just enroll your kids in private school, thats what I've done. If you move in with trash around you then you will be surrunded by trash.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:21 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,030 times
yes petersburg is that bad .......(in my opinion) commute

Old 12-29-2010, 03:14 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,476 times
Yes, It's that bad..... I used to work for Comcast in that area. Alot of probs with robberies and such (this is of the technicians). Although Colonial Heights has alot of crappy areas it does have a really nice side (not much though) like one of the other posters said go with a good side of Chesterfield. You just gotta poke around all the areas down there have nice area immediately followed by ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond