Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM

23 posts, read 94,896 times

Advertisements

I can sort of appreciate dogging on Richmond because I'm hardly a fan of the city, but to favor Charlotte? I can't do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 09:28 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,326,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Tolls, the only thing they are paying for is the wig wearing colonials that perch themselves aloft in their corrupted highchairs. VDOT is a joke, as well as the bear killing (see Maymount Park) council members that run this show at an amazing speed in the wrong direction. Ask the people in Battery Park how they feel about richmond, and it's decision makers. If they haven't floated away from the horrid draining system that plagues this city(a problem they have had for many years) and still do nothing about.
Okay, some clarifications...

Toll Roads
With the exception of the Pocahontas Parkway (895) and the Powhite extension (everything south of Chippenham Pkwy), all tolls are controlled by the Richmond Metropolitan Authority (RMA). The money raised through tolls pays of the bonds that were used to pay for the construction of Powhite (north of Chippenham), the downtown expressway as well as all maintenance for the roads (the portions with old concrete are maintained by VDOT). Those roads receive no state funding and $0 worth of the toll revenue goes to the state.

The Bears at Maymont
City Council didn't kill the bears at Maymont, the state game warden/dept. of Wildlife and fisheries folks recommended the bears be put down. The process infuriated city officials and residents alike, and new black bears were quickly added back to Maymont.

Battery Park Flooding
What a horrible situation for those folks. Anyways, the city has received full federal funding and invested millions of its own dollars to fix and enhance the sewer line traversing through the area. It will be rerouted around the landfill it was a hundred feet or so below and the pipe will be much wider so that this will never happen again. Construction is well underway installing the lines. Significant drainage improvements have also been made throughout Shockoe Bottom, and the city is preparing to more than double in size the huge combined sewer overflow "holding tank" beneath Chapel Hill to further help with drainage improvements.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:10 AM

3,871 posts, read 4,092,453 times
Hey richmondpics, please keep factual information out of this thread...we will have none of that! I am trying to stir the pot, and here you come with informative facts and ruin my tirade. There is a city for everyone, and RIC just isn't for me I suppose. This is an interesting place to live, I'll give it that!

Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 PM

359 posts, read 1,314,217 times
Default thanks for the pics...they look so nice

great great pics. thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Lots of snow? No. But we do get occassional deeper snows that happen oh every 15 years or so.

The winters are generally just 2 months here- January and February. After that you're in the clear. I have never seen snow here in March- it would be rare if happens.

When it does snow here, though- things kinda- shut down. Richmonders don't like driving in snow. Everyone will rush to the market. My friends from up north find that hilarious. I don't think it is. I hate driving in snow as well.

If you like the ocean and mountains- yer in luck. You're less than 2 hours from both.

Some pics:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s141/monumentfloyd/46499875.jpg (broken link)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s141/monumentfloyd/65274125.jpg (broken link)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s141/monumentfloyd/65275238.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtangs View Post
I can sort of appreciate dogging on Richmond because I'm hardly a fan of the city, but to favor Charlotte? I can't do it.
Why not? I have lived in both cities, and there is no comparison between the two. It is like comparing rotten apples to oranges. Alot of people talk about Charlotte and richmond without a frame of reference, and that is something I have. In every instance I will take Charlotte over RIC. Well.......there it is!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 30,569 times
Richmond is a great place and there is a lot of change going on thanks to Mayor Wilder. You cant drive downtown without seeing a new building go up or a new tree being planted.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grae8 View Post
Richmond is a great place and there is a lot of change going on thanks to Mayor Wilder. You cant drive downtown without seeing a new building go up or a new tree being planted.
One word can describe that above statement..........delusional.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 PM

19 posts, read 99,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I have.....it is Charlotte NC! Beautiful place, can't wait to get back. Enjoy your over taxed, welfare driven commonwealth. What are there, 3 commonwealths in the US. There is a reason for that..........Have fun!

My husband and I are relocating from Charlotte, NC to Richmond and we are feeling sick about it for many reasons. We visited Richmond a couple of weeks ago for one night and day. Had planned to stay a few days but felt overwhelmed in Richmond. I was shocked to see so much trash on the side of the interstate and roads in general. The landscaping here in Charlotte and the surrounding areas are just so manicured 95% of the time.

While in Richmond, we drove around to the different counties. We are shocked at the cost of housing. Southwest of Richmond was very congested, so was Midlothian, Chester and a few other areas. We are not going to have a choice about relocating to Richmond. Hopefully, we still have enough time to find an area suited for us. It will definitely mean taking a few more trips to Richmond with a more positive outlook.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahma View Post
My husband and I are relocating from Charlotte, NC to Richmond and we are feeling sick about it for many reasons. We visited Richmond a couple of weeks ago for one night and day. Had planned to stay a few days but felt overwhelmed in Richmond. I was shocked to see so much trash on the side of the interstate and roads in general. The landscaping here in Charlotte and the surrounding areas are just so manicured 95% of the time.

While in Richmond, we drove around to the different counties. We are shocked at the cost of housing. Southwest of Richmond was very congested, so was Midlothian, Chester and a few other areas. We are not going to have a choice about relocating to Richmond. Hopefully, we still have enough time to find an area suited for us. It will definitely mean taking a few more trips to Richmond with a more positive outlook.
I can relate to the housing costs, quite a difference! Wish you luck on your relocation here, and try to keep positive. The Chesterfield area is nice, and with good schools, if that is a concern. What I do know is stay out of the city of Richmond, you will not be happy there. Sorry you have to relocate from Charlotte, I lived there for 8 + years and can't wait to be back there in 6 months. If you have no option on the move(sounds like you don't), then you have to be positive and keep an open mind while you're here. Maybe this place will grow on you, it just never did for me. Good luck and remember........keep an open mind while here, and you will be alright.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,692 times
I think you will find more people who love Richmond than don't. I think the bad experiences come from people who just weren't in the right area or just really don't belong here.

The thing about Richmond is that in the city / downtown it's majority yuppie / college kids, or you're quite wealthy and you live in the fan off Monument Ave. and your parents send you to one of the 5 or so private schools around here.

For adults, or an older couple, I could see how it would be aggravating but you're probably better off in Chesterfield, or say Florida for that matter.

I used to live in Chesterfield growing up until I went to college, but for the past 2 years I've been working internships in the summer and have stayed in the fan. I love it. The bars are great (who could pass up Blackfin, chinet's, three monkeys, etc?) and the dining is numerous and exceptional. Short Pump and Stony Point are also nice places to shop.

Housing in Richmond has become more expensive than other cities in the South simply because it's more in demand. There are several large companies here that drive expansion. Richmond has the lowest unemployment rate of any big city in the United States, and for good reason. The IT industry in the city in particular has been taking off.

I think overall it is what you make it. Richmond is coming along - and while it's not a new city it is new to being a modern city with a thriving downtown, other cities such as Charlotte are a bit bigger and a bit more established in this respect, but Richmond has made quite a few changes in the past year.

I think you just have to find what is right for you, and Richmond has it all. If you're young, college-aged, or a new professional under 30 downtown is awesome, especially Fan living. If you're a bit older, have kids, etc. then move to the West End, Glen Allen, or Chesterfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond