Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,568,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapeninsula View Post
That murder capital was PER CAPITA. It couldn't possibly have ranked with NYC and LA on a numbers basis, only per capita.
It was per capita - how else could you compare cities of different populations? But make no mistake, it was the murder capital back in the 80s. If you were a city resident back in those days, you had a better chance of being a murder statistic in Richmond versus anywhere else in the country. Used to be able to hear the gunfire downtown from Churchill back in the day - I know, I know - Churchill is a wonderful beautiful safe place these days - just sayin - back in the day, and not ancient history....it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 54,563 times
After reading five pages of posts I wanted to give my experience. I understand it doesn't speak for the whole city of Richmond but my hope is that the city is given a better rep. Just so you know I moved to Richmond when I was 23 years old. Currently I am 28 years old, married and have a 15 month old. My wife is a teacher and I came here for grad school. For the first year we lived in an apartment on Grace and Blvd. Coming from the (sheltered) deep south we have greatly enjoyed our time in Richmond. I grew up in the suburbs and new nothing of the downtown where I lived because everyone told us we would get shot if we ventured there. Richmond was the first place I lived where I was not only venturing into the downtown but I was living in it...and I didn't get shot. Since my wife works in Church Hill we decided to move into a house there. We moved into a new construction, energy efficient home on a street with other young professionals. Over the years we have seen the neighborhood change in some ways and not change in many others. Overall we have felt comfortable in Church Hill, taking walks in the evenings with our daughter, going to one of the three local parks, or walking to one of a few of our nice restaurants. When we first moved to the neighborhood we struggled to meet other families but that seems to be a regular occurrence now.
When reflecting on why Richmond gets a bad rep I think some of it has to do with people living in the past and not for the future. I love what Richmond has to offer and can't wait to see what is in store in the future. For those who are looking to move to Richmond I strongly encourage people to move to the city and resist the urge to buy in the suburbs.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzielu View Post
LOL HoopLove, keep the pom poms out please!!! I am planning on moving to Richmond and I am very attracted to the Jackson Ward area. Its' incredibly difficult to find anyone that says many nice things about that area, it's they all say don't go there! And I'm not a local but feel like I think the rep for that area is a bit out dated.
I am going to be living alone and and I'm not young and I am female..why do I feel like I can do it and everyone is telling me no????
Agreed. I love Jackson Ward, but haven't been able to find a place yet. I'm returning after living abroad for years and love the art scene. I've seen some fantastic renovations and I like the fact that you can walk. Its not perfect but there is a vibe that comes from being near VCU and its arts faculty that you don't get in the mall in Short Pump. Go check it out is what I say. Oh yeah, just caught the Picasso exhibition at the Va Museum of fine arts. Fantastic. Hopefully we'll see more of that sort of thing.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:59 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,268,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Definitely because of 95. People like to act like know it alls and say something about an area they really know nothing about. They drive 95 and suddenly they know the area.

I think there are a few other reasons as well: the city has changed a lot from 20-30 years ago but reputations take a long time to die.

Also, Richmond lives in the shadow of DC. Everyone sees NOVA as better than the rest of the state, including Richmond. It's not really different than other areas in the US where smaller cities live in the shadow of larger cities and are viewed as less desirable.

After we moved there and I had friends and family come visiting, every single person was extremely impressed with the city and suburbs. There are many parts of the city that are gorgeous and anyone who says otherwise has obviously never been there. I would honestly say that the good outweighs the bad in Richmond.

Before moving to Richmond, I was a bit skeptical. I originally wanted Charlotte, NC. My husband and I visited both cities in a trip and we were both pleasantly surprised with Richmond and disappointed in Charlotte with how many ghetto parts there were. Not that Charlotte didn't have beautiful parts. I just thought for the reputation, it was a bit overrated, where I think Richmond is just a very underrated city.
I agree with everything written here. I've only been here 1.5 yrs. and am impressed. I also had my heart set on NC. I still haven't been out there, but other than 95 going through the icky parts, I can't imagine not liking this place.

Alley

Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 AM

5 posts, read 12,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
It was per capita - how else could you compare cities of different populations? But make no mistake, it was the murder capital back in the 80s. If you were a city resident back in those days, you had a better chance of being a murder statistic in Richmond versus anywhere else in the country. Used to be able to hear the gunfire downtown from Churchill back in the day - I know, I know - Churchill is a wonderful beautiful safe place these days - just sayin - back in the day, and not ancient history....it wasn't.
Churchill was a slum when I was growing up.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM

17 posts, read 24,978 times
yea well at one time roanoke had a worse crime rate per capita than d.c. or chicago,i think detroit beat it for top spot for all around though,it was at less than 100,000 people at the time,ooops still is for the most part. i was schooled in a private catholic school for awhile so i have no consideration of color either way,crap i might talk to you if you are green with pink strips even,but maybe the world should learn to defeat terrorism every where as even that is taught by ideas taught to the younger children so they grow up to hate,so even racial hate i consider is of the same basic idea as terrorism to me,it is simply called something else,maybe we all should strive to defeat such ideas every where,but keeping your self safe is another need to a human isnt it,NOW look at the racial make up of richmond and see if you can decide why things are they way they are, it is changing there and i hope to move there before long anyway,simply to be back home in virginny will help

Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,893,086 times
Is it still the "Nickle Bridge"? Or, am I showing my age?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM

8 posts, read 32,595 times
Still the nickel bridge.. but costs 35 cents now. The nickel nickel nickel nickel nickel nickel nickel bridge?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM

326 posts, read 690,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Is it still the "Nickle Bridge"? Or, am I showing my age?
yes but its 35 cents now

Old 11-30-2011, 11:07 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,908,319 times
I agree that Richmond has a bad rep. I currently live in Charlottesville and most people I encounter don't have a high opinion of Richmond. Some of those are people who actually grew up in Richmond and some of them are folks that have only been there briefly.

I have visted Richmond a few times and I thought it seemed okay. There are some pretty old houses and there are a couple of areas that have a lively nightlife. It also has a surprisingly nice art museum and a minor-league baseball team that is fun to watch.

But most people I talk to who live there want to move away, and most people who don't live there would not want to. I have actually been surprised at how much people seem to dislike it since as I said, I have always found it to be okay. Perhaps it is because if people want a smaller town they prefer somewhere like Charlottesville and if they want a big city they prefer DC, which leaves Richmond kind of in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond