Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:02 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,395,366 times

Advertisements

also the fact the TV show crime 360 films in Richmond and shows the homicides committed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:23 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,335,741 times
RPD was excited to be on that show to share with the community the effort they put into fighting crime... Homicide rate is the lowest in something like 40-50 years. It takes time to change perceptions.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:12 PM

696 posts, read 1,306,464 times
Good point, interestingly enough it is this mid-town feel (and the just right mix of North and South) that makes Richmond a jewel for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Perhaps it is because if people want a smaller town they prefer somewhere like Charlottesville and if they want a big city they prefer DC, which leaves Richmond kind of in the middle.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:14 AM

469 posts, read 973,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Over my adult life, I have lived in Richmond 8 years. But folks from other places almost always have a negative impression of Richmond. Why is that? I have heard this in other places in Virginia and is common impression of most in NC where I currently reside. I always thought Richomd was OK. Back in the 80's when I first lived there, Richmond was the murder capital of the US, but that was long ago. Thoughts?
There is usually only a smaller segment of the population which nutures these negative impressions of regional large/intermediate sized cities IMO, and those folks or their parents usually spring from smaller or growing competitive cities in the state or adjacent state, and at one time or another felt their environment was dominated by the larger one ie: Hampton, Norfolk, NOVA and even Raleigh vs. Richmond. The easy way to cast a negative light on a larger city so as to make your town look better by comparison is to perpetuate hype about typical bigger city problems such as high crime or older infrastructure. I lived in the Richmond area back in those "crime ridden" 80's and successfully raised my kids and enjoyed my life there, while finding all of the above listed cities to be lesser quality environments. Growth has occurred in all those areas so that things have changed, but not as much as some would have you believe. Good luck Richmond!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,716,440 times
You love Jackson Ward? Just wow..

Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 PM

43 posts, read 114,358 times
Because it is dirty. Very industrial. Very large homeless population. Predominantly black. Four or five years ago, it was in the top three murder cities in the U.S. It has more crime than most other cities in the United States. It's the inner-city; it's rundown. These are just the things people notice about the city. And they're true- regardless of what the Richmond fanatics on this forum will try to persuade you of.

Sure, it has beautiful areas, and is easily one of the most historic cities in the entire country, but the large part of it is lower-income. The surrounding counties are much, much better.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:14 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,792,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
Because it is dirty. Very industrial. Very large homeless population. Predominantly black. Four or five years ago, it was in the top three murder cities in the U.S. It has more crime than most other cities in the United States. It's the inner-city; it's rundown. These are just the things people notice about the city. And they're true- regardless of what the Richmond fanatics on this forum will try to persuade you of.

Sure, it has beautiful areas, and is easily one of the most historic cities in the entire country, but the large part of it is lower-income. The surrounding counties are much, much better.
Seriously? And yet you seem to have access to the internet. I admire your resolute ignorance, but you might try googling a bit.

Richmond is somewhat historic, true, though certainly not one of the most historic cities, thanks to the fire after the civil war. It is majority white (not that that should matter, but its good to not get basic facts wrong). And most of the expensive houses sold in the Richmond area are actually in the city of Richmond (Times Dispatch publishes top 10 most expensive sales each month, quick perusal will show they are mostly in the city).

You might puzzle over how, if it is so bad, the city has the million dollar houses?

There are certainly poor neighborhoods in the city. But saying that's the whole city is either ignorant or a troll - can't figure out which.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 AM

465 posts, read 476,593 times
It doesn't. Many people I've met describe Richmond as a charming and pleasant city.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 AM

834 posts, read 2,285,229 times
Quote:
Predominantly black.
Here's a map even a first grader can understand. Red= white people. Blue=black people

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5560433168/ (broken link)

Richmond and its metro areas are predominately white. The black population is concentrated to the inner city, mostly central and east. Not my opinion but a fact.
I never thought Richmond was a poor city, but I was still amazed after moving here how much old, old Southern money there was living here. Of course a person passing through driving down I-95 would never know that.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcaribbean View Post
Because it is dirty. Very industrial. Very large homeless population.
"It" is? As in the whole city? Because I think you mean to say "some parts that are highly concentrated to the central and east side." If a person who has never been to Richmond came and visited Carytown, the Fan, Maymont, Bon Air, Windsor Farms, the University of Richmond area and basically any place west of 95, especially 295 all around the river.......they'd think you fell down and smacked your little head based on your description.
I was just in the Fan recently picking up a find on Craigslist and I was reminded once again how much it looks like Greenwich Village in NYC.
Funny in Greenwich Village those exact same type homes in the exact neighborhoods would go for millions.

Quote:
Four or five years ago, it was in the top three murder cities in the U.S.
Can I see some sources on that? Because from what I've read, you have to go back to the 80's to find Richmond in the top 10 murder capitals. The last statistics I read before moving back to VA had Richmond ranked below cities like Tampa,FL and Charlotte, NC for crime.

Quote:
I will agree that the surrounding counties are the draw of this metro area. But that is the case with most small/medium sized cities. People who want big city life generally will move to DC, NYC, Boston, even Baltimore or Philly.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 PM

43 posts, read 114,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Seriously? And yet you seem to have access to the internet. I admire your resolute ignorance, but you might try googling a bit.

Richmond is somewhat historic, true, though certainly not one of the most historic cities, thanks to the fire after the civil war. It is majority white (not that that should matter, but its good to not get basic facts wrong). And most of the expensive houses sold in the Richmond area are actually in the city of Richmond (Times Dispatch publishes top 10 most expensive sales each month, quick perusal will show they are mostly in the city).

You might puzzle over how, if it is so bad, the city has the million dollar houses?

There are certainly poor neighborhoods in the city. But saying that's the whole city is either ignorant or a troll - can't figure out which.
First of all, majority white? What the hell are you talking about? Richmond's racial make-up is 52% black. I am NOT talking about the surrounding counties. CITY LIMITS.

Richmond is one of the most historic cities in the United States. I don't see how anyone could refute that. I'm not talking about the reconstructed architecture, I'm talking about the city's past.

Lastly, urban real estate is, by comparison, always more expensive. That explains it. Of course it has million dollar houses, they're over a century old, they're enormous, and they're not in neighborhoods like Church Hill.

Last edited by royalcaribbean; 01-12-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond