Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,133 times

Advertisements

With all the negative comments about Richmond lately, I thought it would be nice to chalk up Richmond's attributes for a change. I know these things have been mentioned before, but perhaps they should revisited. Also there are other things I probably havent' covered.

Here are some:

-Richmond is 2 hours (or less) from everything: the beach, Our Nation's Capital (if you must), the mountains, Colonial Williamsburg, and nearby North Carolina. Its centrally located right of 1-64 and 1-95 so you have easy access for travel

-Carytown offers fine restaurants, shops, and not to mention the world famous Byrd Theater where you can see a movie for 2$ (And the organ on Saturday nights is a plus)

-Monument Ave is probably one of the most pristine tree lined streets in America.

-Richmond has walkability factor. If you live in the Fan- you can walk to most stores, restaurants, and grocery stores

-The suburbs of Richmond offer nice ares as well such as Chesterfield, Hanover, and Henrico counties all with a lot of choices for reasonably priced living

-Shockoe Slip offers nightly entertainment, restaurants, and fine city living. The renovated tobacco warehouses provide nice apartments for rent

-The Rivah is fun. You can canoe or swim in the rapids there. There are lots of nice trails for bike riders

-Beautiful park systems- Maymont, Byrd , and Joseph Bryant

-The expansion of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) onto upper Broad St and surrounding thoroughfares has made Richmond safer, and provided more stability for local businesses to thrive with more and more encroachment of the students. Because of the VCU campus spreading, there are newer shops popping up on West Broad St where just 10 or so years ago most people were wondering what would happen after the fall of Miller and Rhodes and Tallheimers and Broad St remained run down.

-If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 06:18 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,502 times
Being that this thread has been posted for three days now with no replies, I thought I'd add some positiveness to it. Thought there were people who had some good things to say about this city, perhaps they overlooked this thread by mistake. Before you all go on a huff and a puff, I really will be positive about Richmond.(see, I capitilized it this time, thats a start!) These are the things I actually LIKE about living here; I enjoy running down Monument Blvd/the ice bar at Capitol Ale House, pretty cool...get it/the owners at Cpt. Buzzys in Church Hill, as well as their coffee/it doesn't take 1/2 hour to get anywhere/the crime rate(cops are doing a great job, and so are the citizens)/kayaking/going to a R Braves game on a weekday night/Thai Diner Too in Cary Town(e)/and that about settles it. That wasn't so bad now was it? Just 'cause I said these things about Richmond, doesn't mean I am letting it off the ragging hook, I'll still do that too, just maybe not as much.

So there you go, a positive post on Richmond...........by me off all people. How I do love to use the little faces in my posts. Alas, my place is not here in Richmond but in Charlotte NC, and I shall journey there soon. Until then, I'll slide up to a place at the "Ice Bar" and think of the future.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:54 PM

Well, good for you. I find it ironic that you pick things I find the least appealing about Richmond as your "positive" side, but at least you could find something.

I don't think Charlotte even has a river, does it?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Well, good for you. I find it ironic that you pick things I find the least appealing about Richmond as your "positive" side, but at least you could find something.

It has 2 pretty good size lakes though. (Lake Norman & Wylie)

Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
It has 2 pretty good size lakes though. (Lake Norman & Wylie)
Eh. I like the Rivah. Fecal contamination and all.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post

Huh? All of the things he mentioned were very appealing.

If you stuck around Patsfan, you could enjoy Infuzion, opening this fall. It will have the first authentic Ice Bar (like everything's ice) on the East Coast... Like the Smirnoff ones in Europe. Tables, walls, and the entire bar all made of solid ice. Gotta wear a parka and all!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post

If you stuck around Patsfan, you could enjoy Infuzion, opening this fall. It will have the first authentic Ice Bar (like everything's ice) on the East Coast... Like the Smirnoff ones in Europe. Tables, walls, and the entire bar all made of solid ice. Gotta wear a parka and all!
Im not a sports enthusiast.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post

Now that is what I'm talking about! If its opening this fall, I can make it there. I won't be leaving until May/June timeframe. Richmondpics, you are one full of knowledge.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:50 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
I enjoy running down Monument Blvd/the ice bar at Capitol Ale House, pretty cool...get it/the owners at Cpt. Buzzys in Church Hill, as well as their coffee/it doesn't take 1/2 hour to get anywhere/the crime rate(cops are doing a great job, and so are the citizens)/kayaking/going to a R Braves game on a weekday night/Thai Diner Too in Cary Town(e)/and that about settles it. That wasn't so bad now was it? Just 'cause I said these things about Richmond, doesn't mean I am letting it off the ragging hook, I'll still do that too, just maybe not as much.
Running in the fan is spectacular, especially down Monument Ave! I also want to make it to a R Braves game, especially if it will cool down another 5 to 10 degrees! Thanks for the good feedback PatsFan!

I think my favorite things to do in Richmond (so far) are running in the fan, going to Shockoe Slip to eat dinner/hang out. My wife and I went to Toads Place for a concert, and we liked that very much. It's surrounded by the canal walk, which is beautiful. We visited the Science Museum and we were both impressed at the size and content, but also of the beautiful structure (which was an old train station)! The VMFA is next! We also loved Maymont and Belle Isle, which offer a little escape from the city.

The only thing that I can say that I don't really like so far is the pizza. Coming from a strong Italian background and a large Italian community, I'm very critical of all of it. I've tried most of the local pizza places that people have refered me to (Mary Angela's, Bottoms Up, Jo Jos, etc...), and it just doesn't compare to back home...of course, that doesn't stop me from eating it anyway!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,745 times
I've heard (but haven't tried) a place called Pizza Express near regency mall is supposed to have surprisingly good pizza. It's mostly a takeout place, but like I said, I've heard the pizza is supposed to be really good. Try it out and let us know!

Last edited by richmondpics; 09-01-2007 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond