Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 03:13 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,319,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
but neighborhoods downtown are divided almost exclusively by race. there are a few minorities within the "white" areas but i don't think i've ever seen a white person while driving through a "black" area. the suburbs are a totally different world of course. i grew up in one of them (about 20 minutes from downtown) and never experienced the racial tension that i do downtown. like you mentioned about CT, there were a few minorities here and there but they didn't have any significant lifestyle differences compared to the white families and no one ever said anything about race. the other day on broad street this lady got some serious road rage toward me. i couldnt figure out wtf was going on until she rolled down her window and yelled at me for "not letting the black people cross the street" and being a "white expletive expletive". i honestly did not see anyone trying to cross the street nor was i in an area where pedestrians would have had the right away to do so, but regardless the race thing shouldn't matter. if i was in a hurry and being a jerk, surely i wouldnt have let a white person cross either? what if i was black myself? and on the other side of the equation, the road-raging woman surely must've experienced quite a bit of racism in her life to react like that toward me. ugh i've had a few incidents like that downtown and its just nothing like what i experienced growing up. perhaps its just the concentration of people that makes it seem like that.
There are crazy people everywhere, not just downtown. I grew up in the suburbs, and while there wasn't much blatant racism, there was PLENTY of prejudice going around towards anyone that wasn't white... much more so than I've experienced living in the City.

I live on Northside now and drive through predominately black areas all the time. I don't drive through the housing projects, but who would volunteer to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 03:01 PM

11 posts, read 12,199 times
I'm happy to hear that it sounds like Richmond is very similar to CT in the prejudice respect. Not happy that it's there, but happy that it seems about average and that I can handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond