Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM

180 posts, read 407,069 times

Advertisements

Please enlighten all of us as to what you think should be done. Do you think an oversight committee creating and enforcing social integration would be appropriate? How about making people like Hip-Hop or Country Western music? If one does not have "quick-twitch" muscles should they be otracized? What if they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Thank you for your post. Richmond is diverse in terms of numbers, but has no integrated society nor seems to want one. For 40 years, various schemes have been tried to force mix groups to no avail. Perhaps, annexation of Stratford Hills by the City was the epitome of stupidity in race relations. Now the counties see what can happen when the City govt. takes a wonderful area and runs it into the ground. Only now is it coming back, mainly due to private enterprise.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:48 PM

EdwardA::"...feel like diversity is not welcome nor promoted". Why should it be? What are the benefits? "Diversity" is a code word for forced integration of black and white or affirmative action programs. I think we all agree that a variety of opinions and experiences can offer a classroom or work environment an expanded outlook about living. However, what does race have to do with it? People, including Asians and blacks, tend to prefer their own culture rather than being forced to digest mine or yours. Where is it written that we must love foreign behaviors, music, language or behaviors? For myself, I really like Chinese and Mexican food but I am not going to make you like it too!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,155 times
I know you're old, but please learn how to quote the post you are responding to... otherwise it doesn't make much sense to anyone.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Huh? The post is very clear and if someone is interested they can look up his whole post.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 65,875 times
I moved to this region about 15 years ago. I am of mixed background (Asian/European/African). Not a year goes by that someone does not ask me directly "What are you?" Generally, this does not come from a white person. I had never heard that before.

Prior to moving here, my entire life was spent in a military evironment, either as a dependent or member, and I have lived all over the world and the US.

The racial tension in the Richmond area was as real and palpable as I had ever experienced. EVERYTHING was about race. It appears to have gotten better over time. Or, perhaps I am just used to it now.

No matter. I consider the area to have advantages that outweigh this small distraction.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 PM

68 posts, read 118,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101flyboy View Post
No, we shouldn't settle for this whatsoever. And the best thing to do is really ignore the racist attitudes and be comfortable going wherever you please regardless. You should order style weekly, they list city-wide events and you may find what you're looking for.

People are clingy here because it's a medium sized city at the most, and it's a city that still has a lot of it's Southern characteristics. In the South, things are much more uniformed. It's a lot more "everybody knows everybody." It's much more tight knit and less open socially. In the South much of how your perceived is who you know and associate with. It's all about appearances. It's a lot more divided for that reason, conformity. You're not one of us, so we don't accept you in our group. Even the hip-kids have that mentality inside them, true, but it's usually much less of an issue with them.

There are a lot of stereotypes as well that need to be broken before breaking the walls of tension between all groups.

Richmond generally votes blue so even though there may be some Tea Partiers in the city, they don't hold a huge influence. With that said, there are a lot of small-town minded people here, and that's because Richmond, again, is a smaller/medium sized area.

There are Asians around, you should check out the Asian-American society of Central Virginia website. There are quite a few Asian places to eat as well (you can google and find out).

All in all, I understand where your coming from. Hopefully you check out some of these references I gave you, and remember while there is bad, there is also good too and not allow the negativity overwhelm the positive.
How can you ignore the racist attitudes in Richmond, when it's constantly there? Are you asking me to ignore reality as if it doesn't exist? I refuse to ignore racism but I will counter it in a harmonious peaceful way (as much as possible). No, I will not order a magazine to find events in my city, that is ridiculous.

People are clingy here because they fear a world that is constantly changing. These people rather cling to a 400 year old war that has no significance to how bills are paid or what is best for their own lives. These people rather hate someone by the color of their skin because their parents told them to without challenging the real reasons on why and how that is benefiting this country.

Your interpretation of the South is beyond misconstrued. The characteristics of the South has nothing to do with being clingy or appearances. Richmond lost it's touch of the southern feel when the war ended.

They fought America's war in our backyards. We acknowledge it, but why is it still affecting all of our lives? It's like the war is genital herpes- it won't go away from that one night stand.

Those "VCU hip kids" are not hip at all. They are rejects who couldn't be accepted to other schools. I don't need to be a part of anyone's group. As if I will look up to someone who failed and had to settle into a nearby school. These kids are not knocking down any stereotypes, they rather ride around downtown on french bikes thinking they are so urban. These kids you speak of are no better than their parents.

I don't accept your sorry excuse of "it's a small/medium sized city". There are other cities the same size as Richmond who are progressing and improving their surroundings. Birmingham, Lexington, Annapolis, Raleigh, etc.

I am no loser, and I do not need to check out an Asian-American website to find out where the Asians are and possibly hang out with. The point is that even Asians know that Richmond isn't diverse and doesn't offer much opporutnity.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,155 times
Man you're depressing.

But curious, which 400 year old war are "these" people (which people?) clinging to? Henricus was only just founded.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Henricus is an old name from the Romans. He is buried in Cassino, Italy at a monastery.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM

For Asians, you have no clue. They do very well in the US and are not a problem in any way. Please do not lump them with those who do nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond