Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 26,828 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Glen Allen in June and have recently heard there have been a number of layoffs from some of the larger companies in the area.

Can anyone fill me in on the market? Specifically for a senior level project manager? Are there any particular companies I should take a look at or any I should stay clear of?? I know there are a number of contract positions available but am really hoping to find full time employment.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Two I can think of right of that bat to check into are MeadeWestVaco and Capital One.

Shelly

Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
A number of layoffs? The only one I can think of is Circuit City who recently cut 200 jobs at their corporate HQ which has a few thousand employees. Wachovia Securities recently merged with A G Edwards of St. Louis and will be moving the HQ there, though they haven't said how that will affect the people in Richmond yet. The unemployment rate is at 2.9% and overall very healthy. I won't be much help in suggesting specific companies for the job you are seeking, but there's a large corporate presence in the area. 13 fortune 1000 HQ's. Try companies like MeadWestvaco, Capital One, CarMax, Dominion Resources, Genworth Financial, etc...

Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 AM

743 posts, read 3,900,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Two I can think of right of that bat to check into are MeadeWestVaco and Capital One.

Shelly
Capital One may be the easiest company to get a job in, but I'm not sure of the job security there... they seem to like to move their offices a lot, and if you don't like it, you have to leave. They had 2 huge buildings built in Fredericksburg, and then only a couple years later, they moved to the Glenn Allen office, and told the people to either commute from Fredericksburg, or they had to go...

But anyways, I'm starting a job in Glenn Allen next week I'd say there's a lot of opportunities.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 AM

Capital One has a huge corporate campus (though not a HQ) in Richmond out at West Creek. They employ near 7,000 in the Richmond area alone!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM

This article may be helpful regarding the job market:

Richmond Job Market Strong (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/business.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-06-13-0050.html - broken link)

Quote:
Job prospects in the Richmond area look stronger for the July-to-September period compared with earlier this year, according to one survey.

The staffing firm Manpower Inc. said its quarterly survey of Richmond-area employers indicated that about half were expecting to add to their payrolls in the third quarter. Ten percent said they planned to reduce staffing, while 33 percent expected to maintain current levels. Seven percent were not certain of their hiring plans...

Old 06-15-2007, 10:09 PM

6 posts, read 26,828 times
Thanks everyone. I have had a few decent hits on my resume in the past two weeks so I am hopeful! As for the layoffs, I had heard Circuit City, CapitalOne, Bank of America, LandAmerica and then the uncertainty of Wachovia Securities.

Most of the companies mentioned are on my list for searching!! Thanks a bunch!!!

I'm moving next week so hopefully things will fall in line relatively quickly! I am very excited about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond