Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:21 PM

7 posts, read 15,549 times

Advertisements

is this article the truth? I thought overall roanoke was getting better since 2007 but maybe not.It is true tho i know drug crimes are up i seen old white lady shooting up heroin outside broad daylight two weeks ago anyways what your guys opinions?

Richmond in the top five most dangerous cities in Virginia list - National Community Issues | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:33 PM

523 posts, read 654,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob540_squad View Post
is this article the truth? I thought overall roanoke was getting better since 2007 but maybe not.It is true tho i know drug crimes are up i seen old white lady shooting up heroin outside broad daylight two weeks ago anyways what your guys opinions?

Richmond in the top five most dangerous cities in Virginia list - National Community Issues | Examiner.com
No. It is a misinterpreted article that Roanoke City Council challengers ran with to try to gain support in the last election. Now every time a crime is committed, someone is always there to bring up that article.

Source: tinyurl.com/mksxuu8 (can't get hyperlink to work)

Old 08-10-2014, 09:00 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,882 times
Default Crime

Virginias' independent City/County set up creates the MOST CRIME statistics for Roanoke, Richmond, Norfolk. Remember
Roanoke COUNTY which is still Urban Roanoke is NOT INCLUDED in these charts. Virginia created the independent city/county concept I believe to Segregate the racial, income inequalities that exist in this country. There are parts of Roanoke City which
Have always had a high rate of crime and will never change, no matter what law enforcement is capable of accomplishing.
Crime is Big Business in this country. Judges, lawyers, bail bondsmen, probation officers, etc etc ALL depend on people commiting crime for their livelihood. Crime is a dead end job, IF you are the one doing the crime.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:21 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,893,723 times
In 2013, there were 554 violent crime committed and 4,879 non-violent crimes.

Whoa. I thought Youngstown was bad.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 PM

523 posts, read 654,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You are correct. Youngstown has a crime rate of 644(!), almost double that of Roanoke's (387).

Old 09-14-2014, 06:11 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
In 2013, there were 554 violent crime committed and 4,879 non-violent crimes.

I call shenanigans on those numbers.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:48 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,891,882 times
Yes, that information on Roanoke crime was discounted by the police in that article.
I found out our new downtown market area downtown is very safe. The reason? The police have the entire place wired with
Hidden cameras. I always wondered what happened to many of the wannabie thugs from hanging around downtown.Enjoy.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 AM

91 posts, read 136,244 times
I am glad to see this post, I was actually wondering the same thing. We live in Michigan and are planning a move to VA in the next 2 years. My husband rides a motorcycle and we are really attracted to the Salem/Roanoke area, but I seem to get conflicting information on which areas are considered the "crime" areas. Some articles say the Southeast end, others the Northwest end, and still others comment on the crime towards the Southwest near Chapman avenue and the like.

We would like to live in Salem (in love with the mountains) and travel to Roanoke for work, as it seems we would have a better chance landing employment there. It is so difficult to try and research living so far away, and we are planning a trip next year. Can anyone give us ideas on areas to avoid?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:30 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,064,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lebeck View Post
Can anyone give us ideas on areas to avoid?
Sending you a direct message off the board!

Old 09-25-2014, 03:13 PM

91 posts, read 136,244 times
Thank you so much Watchful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area