Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
On the flip side, I'm not too happy about the wildlife living so close but I understand that's what you get when you live with nature. Deer are fine, I just wonder what other critters come into town that aren't as friendly.
You really don't have to worry. Roanoke is a small city but it's a city - and the critters are pretty much urban critters. Possums, skunks, field mice, stink bugs. You don't need razor wire (yikes!).

People like deer because they're cute and meek, but deer ticks cause a lot more harm to humans than any of those other critters do.

I do carry bear spray with me when I run on trails, but not when I run in the city. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 02:25 AM

150 posts, read 213,499 times
headnsouth and Gardner222 - You have both helped a lot! Thank you. It really puts my mind at ease knowing the bears are at a pretty safe distance from town and the rest sounds manageable. I love wildlife and will enjoy exploring the backroads and hopefully seeing some firsthand, I just don't want them in my space or around my dogs. And it's certainly good to know about the deer ticks. I hadn't considered anything like that.

I know, razor wire is scary. I lived in some nice townhomes near downtown for awhile and they had razor wire to keep out bad people. At least they know better than to cross it. I'd hate to see an innocent animal get hurt but it sounds like I won't need to worry about it in Roanoke city.

Only one more thing I can think of just now. How is healthcare in Roanoke? Good hospitals and doctors? I don't remember going to a doctor here in Houston where I didn't sit in the waiting room a good hour. It would be nice to get away from that but maybe it's the same everywhere. Most importantly, we just want good, competent doctors.

I was looking at photos of the Shenandoah Valley and found this one particularly beautiful (among so many). We will be there for our first visit in six weeks. I couldn't be more excited!

Again, thanks so much everyone.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 AM

Roanoke is the regional health care hub. Hospitals, trauma center, med school, etc. Carilion Clinic is the largest employer around & has far-flung community hospitals out in the sticks as well as affiliated primary & specialty practices on every corner. You still have to wait for some docs (dermatology) but overall it's very good/accessible care.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 AM

Last thing re: bears. If by some crazy fluke a bear showed up in your backyard, it would be there to rummage in your garbage bin. It would want absolutely nothing to do with your dogs. (Your razor wire suggestion is way overkill, I would be freaked out if my neighbor put up razor wire!)

The only reason I carry bear spray is because running is a bad idea around our little black bears, they see you as prey then & will chase/swat. Best response is to stand still, wave your arms around and yell at it. They will go away. They are super curious/smart and will follow your lead. They don't want drama. Normally their only prey is blueberries.

Last edited by headnsouth; 09-04-2015 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-04-2015, 03:49 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
cam4vt, don't mean to wander off topic, but what area of Richmond will you be living? I'm considering moving there myself. thx.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 PM

363 posts, read 557,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
cam4vt, don't mean to wander off topic, but what area of Richmond will you be living? I'm considering moving there myself. thx.
We have "narrowed" it down to the west end. (short pump area, staples mill etc) and north chesterfield county. (brandermill and such areas). I prefer to stay in the burbs. I actually liked chester pretty well, but it seems to far out although things seem to be growing towards that area.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM

150 posts, read 213,499 times
headnsouth ~ You've really put my mind at ease about the bears. Razor wire freaks me out too so good I don't have to worry about that. And probably best not to grow blueberries in my yard (or anything else). That is fine. Sounds like there are plenty of farmer's markets to cover me there.

What doesn't Roanoke have? It's sounds perfect! Good healthcare, beautiful scenery, four seasons, good cost of living, good restaurants, good shopping, farmer's markets, great neighborhoods, friendly people - I'm convinced. Can't wait to visit in a few weeks.

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. It has been tremendously helpful.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:37 PM

238 posts, read 338,215 times
Blue Ridge Parkway Lodging | Peaks of Otter Lodge

Great spot to visit while here viewing fall foilage. About 45 mins east of Roanoke on the Blue Ridge Parkway!!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:59 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
What doesn't Roanoke have?
COSTCO

<<moment of silence>> but I deal with it!

Old 09-05-2015, 07:37 AM

363 posts, read 557,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
COSTCO

<<moment of silence>> but I deal with it!
I am still not sure why COSTCO is a no go here. Could be land available problem. Maybe they will come in when the land across VV opens up. Not sure if they feel its too close to Sam's Club though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area