Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:31 PM

238 posts, read 338,744 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell, land is the main issue in Roanoke City. While Roanoke County would be an ideal location, the Countys' comprehensive plan limits commercial development. They MUST be building that interchange at Valley View Mall
for something beside another mattress store!! Lets hope we get some quality retail out there and news from Roanoke City.
The County people have probably never heard of Costco anyway!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:02 AM

150 posts, read 213,987 times
Gardner222 - Thanks for the link to Peaks of Otter Lodge. We're already booked into a hotel for this trip but will definitely consider it for another time. Loved looking at the website!

So are there some recommendations for a Texan to find some good Mexican / Tex Mex food in Roanoke? How about some Indian food, Sushi and Bar-B-Que? If you have a favorite restaurant of any kind, please share the name and what you like about it.

A few people on city-data have mentioned Roanoke as being "isolated." Can someone enlighten me as to what they mean? With a metro area of over 300,000 people and all the available amenities (less the much anticipated Costco), it's hard to imagine Roanoke as being isolated.

I'm currently looking into some newer housing developments in the Roanoke area. There's one area called South Peak but sounds like it's just getting started. They have one model that is about 5,000 sq. ft which is about twice as much as I would want. Can you recommend any other new neighborhoods we might look at?

Thank so much!

Last edited by cumbriabeval; 09-06-2015 at 12:16 AM..

Old 09-07-2015, 07:33 AM

696 posts, read 1,430,569 times
OMG South Peak is a mess, an absolute cluster----. Here's the latest news from South Peak: Wall Falls. Again.

Alejandro's downtown is very good Mexican with a crazy-varied fresh salsa bar. Across the street is Cedars Lebanese (which I am craving right this minute). There's an Indian place next to that that's quite good but you have to ask for spicy if that's what you want. The best Indian food is at Taaza in Roanoke County (not far from South Peak). But the vibe at Taaza is less than ideal, it's always cold and mostly empty. The food is good though.

A fun thing for you to do when visiting if you are a foodie is the Roanoke Food Tour. It's a walking tour that starts at Hotel Roanoke and hits seven spots downtown. Lots of history & stories mixed in with the food.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:00 AM

Thank you, headnsouth. South Peak is out. Would be good to know if there are any newer neighborhoods / houses in the Roanoke area or any built in the last 10 years or so.

The Roanoke Food Tour sounds like fun and we plan to do that on this trip if there's time. Otherwise, we will certainly do it on our next visit.

Cedars is on the top of my list. I love middle eastern food and also read great things about it on tripadvisor.com. Thanks for letting me know about the other restaurants. I don't think we'll be going hungry while in Roanoke.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:22 AM

238 posts, read 338,744 times
Abuelos is a TexMex restaurant at Valley View Mall. When I visited Texas I noticed the TexMex menu was a blander form of
Mexican or more Anglo. Alejandros has great ratings and food. Cedars is outstanding and worth a visit. I liked the shish k bobs.
and the various herbs, spices they use in their food. Blues BBQ on the Market and a new military inspired BBQ restaurant on the
upper level of Towers s/c are both good. Nawab Indian Restaurant on the Market is also excellent, its always busy as most
places downtown.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:32 PM

Gardner222 ~ Thanks so much for your reviews. TexMex in Houston can be really good and really bad and everything in between but when you find a few good places, that's all you need. I really like it and look forward to trying Abuelos -- and Cedars and the others you mentioned.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Towers s/c (the s/c part)?

If anyone out there can help me out, it would be good to know if there are any newer neighborhoods / houses in the Roanoke area or any built in the last 10 years or so that I can start looking at online before our visit in a few weeks.

Thank you.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:33 AM

696 posts, read 1,430,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
If anyone out there can help me out, it would be good to know if there are any newer neighborhoods / houses in the Roanoke area or any built in the last 10 years or so that I can start looking at online before our visit in a few weeks.
Have you talked with the Roanoke neighborhoods guy yet? He's a great resource. Another option is a realtor, or Roanoke Valley Association of Realtors (RVAR). There are only a handful of people on this forum so it's a good place to start but only for the basics.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:43 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,068,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbriabeval View Post
Gardner222 ~ Thanks so much for your reviews. TexMex in Houston can be really good and really bad and everything in between but when you find a few good places, that's all you need. I really like it and look forward to trying Abuelos -- and Cedars and the others you mentioned.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Towers s/c (the s/c part)?

Thank you.
TOWERS SHOPPING CENTER

Towers Shopping Center :: 2207 Colonial Avenue, Roanoke, VA. 24015 ::

The reference was to a bbq place in that center - Mission BBQ

BBQ Restaurant | Pulled Pork/Chicken, Brisket, Ribs | Takeout, Family/Casual Dining | MISSION BBQ

Old 09-10-2015, 07:46 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,068,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Have you talked with the Roanoke neighborhoods guy yet? He's a great resource.
Just be sure to note the roanoke.gov resource will only cover CITY neighborhoods - and quite a bit of the newer construction will not be in the city proper. But yeah it is a great site.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:28 PM

Thank you Watchful and headnsouth ~ I did look at the neighborhood link but it wasn't clear to me where to go to contact the guy you mentioned. It looks like a resource for people who already live there. The links to neighborhoods will be helpful once I learn my way around a bit more - hopefully after my visit in a few weeks.

Links to Neighborhoods

Watchful, you are right. While I do want to focus on Roanoke and stay close, I am open to the surrounding areas, especially any newer built homes.

Thanks again for all your help! Hope everyone has a pleasant weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area