Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:33 PM

210 posts, read 1,140,463 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Virginia Texas! Take a ride out Rt 60 west about 4.5 miles from Covington to Humpback Bridge Wayside. You will go across an iron bridge and just as you do the wayside is on the left. It's one of my favorite spots. Should be pretty this time of year. If your are looking for something to do. Take the kids to one of the Covington Lumberjacks games at Casey Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:58 PM

88 posts, read 179,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdshiflett View Post
Welcome to Virginia Texas! Take a ride out Rt 60 west about 4.5 miles from Covington to Humpback Bridge Wayside. You will go across an iron bridge and just as you do the wayside is on the left. It's one of my favorite spots. Should be pretty this time of year. If your are looking for something to do. Take the kids to one of the Covington Lumberjacks games at Casey Field.
Thnks Cd! We passed the bridge yesterday but didnt have time to stop... I told my husband we gotta bring the kids over b4 we leave... there were kids having loads of fun there! We drove up to MooMaw today.. let the kiddos swim, then drove up to Homestead...wow that place is huge! On the way back we stopped at falling Spring waterfall.... absolutely breathtaking! With the backdrop of the mountains lining the sky... o my gosh! I'm liking this Virginia thing.... even bought us VT t-shirts today!!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:43 PM

The falling Springs waterfall is so special to me. Years ago they didn't have it blocked off as they do now. I could drive right up to the brick wall, sit on the hood of my car and watch it for hours at a time. Some how it just washed all your problems and cares away. Falling Spring Overlook was recently donated to the Commonwealth of Virginia by MeadWestvaco. The dedication ceremony was held in late November, 2004. LOL, you bought the right shirts. I am covered in VT since my daughter is a senior majoring in Areospace.

I wish I'd known you were going to the Homestead. I'd of sent you up the road to the little airport. From there you can look down on Gathright Dam and Lake Moomaw looks like a big bowl of water. Such awsome views!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:46 PM

Default question... any takers?

Hey Ya'll,
We are still searching for a home towards Covington area... and Hubby is now working every week there... flying home on weekends.... until we find something. My question is does anyone know where he may be able to rent a furnished apartment instead of Hoteling it while he's there during the week? I've looked at the online site for the paper, but it won't let ya access the classifieds online. Any suggestions... anyone?
Thanks in advance!
Chic

Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 PM

Call the Alleghany Highlands Chamber of Commerce. They have a list of all the rental landlords in the area. Some are low income subsidised rentals others are not. You just have to wade through it. But keep in mind you've already seen the for sale there. Rentals don't get much better. Few and far between.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,743,116 times
Hey Texas! When are you planning on moving out there? My husband is currently in NC and comes home at the end of this week, then next week we all get to make a trip up and check out some properties. I'm really excited to finally see the place. LOL about your VT shirts! My kids are DAWGS fans and I told them they are going to have to be Hokies now,lol...what is a hokie anyway?!!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Hey Texas! When are you planning on moving out there? My husband is currently in NC and comes home at the end of this week, then next week we all get to make a trip up and check out some properties. I'm really excited to finally see the place. LOL about your VT shirts! My kids are DAWGS fans and I told them they are going to have to be Hokies now,lol...what is a hokie anyway?!!
We wanted to moved over there by mid-july... but house hunting has been rough. I still have hope though! You will fall in love with it.. it's soooo beautiful and so many nice people!

We are all longhorn fans... and will stay true to that; but we just had to get VT shirts! We've always been a split family on teams anyway, so it won't hurt to be fans of both! I "believe" a hokie is a king of turkey... don't quote me on that though.... I just seen it on one of the shirts!!! Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.... cuz trust me... a turkey seems like an awful strange name for a team!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Call the Alleghany Highlands Chamber of Commerce. They have a list of all the rental landlords in the area. Some are low income subsidised rentals others are not. You just have to wade through it. But keep in mind you've already seen the for sale there. Rentals don't get much better. Few and far between.
Thanks Cathy... will check into that! I admit though.... I was thinking the same thing... comparing for sales to rentals!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Love Humpback Bridge! Took my kids out there many a time.

Somewhere out that way, farther west - around the Hematite exit on 64? Crows exit? - is an enchanting winding road - 311? There are a couple of old tourist homes and an ancient, abandoned brick veterans retirement compound. Part of West Virginia dips into Virginia hre; there's a plaque by the road. Real Old Virginny-looking.

I think (the newer) Covington homes are more expensive because Westvaco employees can afford them - other than the hospital at Low Moor I dont think there's another large employer out that way.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:13 PM

You are refferring to Sweet Chalybeate and Sweet Springs. Here is a link. Sweet Springs, Monroe County, WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area