Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 11:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

Hi
My husband, 4yr old son and myself are moving to Roch, without even having seen that place once yet. Plan to be there by mid-end September. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the following/related points:
1. Good quality apartments in Brighton area, any specific website that lists the various apartments under Brighton school district
2. How good is the Henrietta school district for elementary (kindergarten)?
3. How comfortable/quick is the public transportation between Brighton and other suburbs? Can we manage with just one car for the family?
4. Most importantly...ur siggestions on good day cares. Esp the kid is extremely allergic to various food groups and hence would appreciate truthful reviews on the ones I should consider and the ones I should stay away from.
5. How good is the weather in Roch, esp for asthma due to allergies/cold prone ppl?

I think advice on the above points would help me do as much searchand contact before I come there, as neither me nor my husband will have much time to settle in before starting our jobs.

Thanks much

GK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 AM

192 posts, read 530,614 times
-I knew a few people who lived in both Clintwood apartments and the GreyStone apartments in Brighton, both seemed like pretty nice places to live. These are the two that I’m most familiar with there are a few more apartment complexes in the town of Brighton and none of them looked like bad places to live. You might also want to look into renting a house.

-The summers here are brilliant. Winters last from approximately mid-November until April. We typically get about 100 inches of snow each and a lot of cloudy grey skys (as is common in the great lakes region) winter can be a bit much after a while but the other seasons all tend to be pretty temperate and quite nice. So all in all its not too bad. BTW My dad actually has asthma; he lives in Rochester and does fine.

-Your opinion on public transportation will largely depend on where you lived before hand. Our public transportation is pretty much limited to buses. They don’t come by every 15 minutes like they do in a place like NYC, but they do come by regularly enough for them to be a pretty decent way of getting around. I would think that it would defiantly be more convenient for you to have a 2 cars, if both of you are going to be commuting, but with that being said you can definitely make the public transit work as long as you pay attention to the time tables. Another good thing about public transportation here is that it is very affordable at only $1 a ride.

The buses are also pretty good at linking the city and the inner ring suburbs…you might want to take a look at their website to see which bus/buses you would need to get to your work and if it’s something that will work for you:

http://www.rgrta.com/

I’m not too familiar with Henrietta’s schools or any specific daycares, hopefully someone else who is will chime in. I hope you found some of this information helpful. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. -cheers

Old 08-25-2012, 09:14 AM

55 posts, read 132,479 times
It's not going to take you long to find a decent apartment/condo/townhouse/house in Brighton, because there are no bad parts of Brighton. It's just a matter of how much can you afford and doing a quick walkthrough of the place to make sure it's acceptable for your needs. I can tell you that the Imperial South apartments on Elmwood, the 1600 Elmwood apartments, or anything managed by Tri-City Rentals are top-notch. Look at Rustic Village too.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Agree that you can't really go wrong in Brighton. Top notch town with excellent schools and very very safe. In some areas of western Henrietta, many of the apartment complexes will be dominated by RIT students. RIT students aren't exactly known as being the "party crowd"..but still, a lot of families don't really want to live amongst a lot of college students.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,615 times
Smile Appreciate the responses much!

Thanks much for every one of your responses. I did indeed like most of the floor plans of Tri-city management. My husband will be there a few weeks before I do (or so I hope), so I hope we'll figure something out on that front.

Anybody there with knowledge of the day cares please. And how strict is the Brighton school district? My son turns 5 on dec 8, whereas the school district cutoff date is dec 1....will they consider such a case for Kindergarten?

Please pour in any info I may need as a newcomer there. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area