Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:24 AM

18 posts, read 36,355 times

Advertisements

I really hate winter weather, and do not ski, snowboard, or hike... so when it starts to get cold (Dec-most of March) I'm pretty much cooped up. The downtown "club scene" seems to die down a bit in the winter too. I mean, I remember it being quite annoying to get dressed up and freeze waiting outside to get in. Not sure how old you are, or if this is on your mind at all. This isn't to say there aren't events in or around the city you could attend if you hate the winter as much as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87389 View Post
i was actually thinking about moving there since i heard the housing is very cheap but,my friends say its crazy boring also lol..thanks
January 1 through December 31

Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM

289 posts, read 399,817 times
1+1=2
On and Off switch = Power
Key + lock = Access
Walking in a puddle of water with no shoes = Wet Feet
Question + Answer -- Dose not Equal TROLL

Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM

It's not trolling if you're giving your honest opinion...

Old 06-10-2013, 07:10 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Giving your honest opinion is one thing. Relentlessly conveying your opinion as "Fact" is something entirely different. Nothing wrong with believing that Rochester is boring. But to claim that others who don't find it boring are "incorrect" is foolish and immature. And doing such a thing on virtually every thread that you comment on in the Rochester forum (ie, relentlessly) pretty much fits the definition of a "troll" perfectly.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 AM

Fact.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Let's say for arguments sake - humor me for about 10 seconds - that these are not the same person and someone actually looking for info on ROC. I said humor me! What exactly would they be looking for to make ROC more livable in their worlds?

Weather can't be changed so there's no point in arguing over that one. In my world, snow sure beats wildfires, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and mudslides. Can't remember the last time people's houses collapsed or feel off the hillside from snow.....I'm sure it has happened, but I'm guessing the house had other serious issues if it collapsed.

Nightlife? Well, I guess if you're 21 and looking for the bar scene then there's hundreds of choices in the area. If you're not into the bar scene, then what are you looking for for nightlife? Clubs? Like dance clubs?

If you're interested in things for the mind, there are plenty of museums and historical sites around. If you're into plants, Cornell with Cooperative Extension offers tons of classes and programs.

Do people who complain about ROC ever leave the city and travel outside of Monroe County? I read on here all the time there's nothing to do. Have you opened up the newspaper and looked? The paper I get in the FLX has a weekly insert for just the weekend happenings. Then I also follow tons of businesses on Facebook and email newsletter. Many vineyards have weekly on monthly concerts. There are several wine, cheese, and art trails throughout the year.

There are even festivals in winter! The shock and horror! every county has a fair. They start next week. There are hundreds of start, national, and local parks as well. Oh and then there's 11 Finger Lakes, Oneida Lake, Onondaga Lake, Lake Ontario, and Erie Lake. You could even be wild and crazy and go to Glimmerglass Lake. I said it was a crazy idea!

I for one have no idea how anyone could ever claim there's nothing to do around here or that they're bored. Well, things aren't going to just show up in your driveway to entertain you. YOU have to get off your duff and step away from the video games/HGTV/Netflix and go outside. It's that place with the big, bright, fireball in the sky and when it's dark out there's a moon (sometimes) and stars. It's safe to go out there. Soak up some vitamin D. It's good for you. Might make you a tad more cheerful. If you're not interested in leaving your couch, QUIT COMPLAINING!

I did say humor me....back to your regularly scheduled bitchfest and how ROC sucks....sigh.....

Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Let's say for arguments sake - humor me for about 10 seconds - that these are not the same person and someone actually looking for info on ROC. I said humor me! What exactly would they be looking for to make ROC more livable in their worlds?

Weather can't be changed so there's no point in arguing over that one. In my world, snow sure beats wildfires, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and mudslides. Can't remember the last time people's houses collapsed or feel off the hillside from snow.....I'm sure it has happened, but I'm guessing the house had other serious issues if it collapsed.

Nightlife? Well, I guess if you're 21 and looking for the bar scene then there's hundreds of choices in the area. If you're not into the bar scene, then what are you looking for for nightlife? Clubs? Like dance clubs?

If you're interested in things for the mind, there are plenty of museums and historical sites around. If you're into plants, Cornell with Cooperative Extension offers tons of classes and programs.

Do people who complain about ROC ever leave the city and travel outside of Monroe County? I read on here all the time there's nothing to do. Have you opened up the newspaper and looked? The paper I get in the FLX has a weekly insert for just the weekend happenings. Then I also follow tons of businesses on Facebook and email newsletter. Many vineyards have weekly on monthly concerts. There are several wine, cheese, and art trails throughout the year.

There are even festivals in winter! The shock and horror! every county has a fair. They start next week. There are hundreds of start, national, and local parks as well. Oh and then there's 11 Finger Lakes, Oneida Lake, Onondaga Lake, Lake Ontario, and Erie Lake. You could even be wild and crazy and go to Glimmerglass Lake. I said it was a crazy idea!

I for one have no idea how anyone could ever claim there's nothing to do around here or that they're bored. Well, things aren't going to just show up in your driveway to entertain you. YOU have to get off your duff and step away from the video games/HGTV/Netflix and go outside. It's that place with the big, bright, fireball in the sky and when it's dark out there's a moon (sometimes) and stars. It's safe to go out there. Soak up some vitamin D. It's good for you. Might make you a tad more cheerful. If you're not interested in leaving your couch, QUIT COMPLAINING!

I did say humor me....back to your regularly scheduled bitchfest and how ROC sucks....sigh.....
I don't care for wine and cheese tours. I don't care for winter sports or activities and don't want to be at the mercy of the cold. There are NOT hundreds of bars to choose from. There are only a few parks worthy of attention; I've explored them and found this out the hard way. The museums are dull and staring at a Finger Lake isn't fun for me. I couldnt care less about the colors of trees. Burn them down for all I care.

Where I live now, the parks are beautiful and well taken care of. New amenities and nice views, all dressed up. Tons of restaurants, interesting bars and locales (we have a Ping Pong burger lounge for example). I'm sorry if you have a low threshold for interesting, but not everyone is like you.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 06-25-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I don't care for wine and cheese tours. I don't care for winter sports or activities and don't want to be at the mercy of the cold. There are NOT hundreds of bars to choose from. There are only a few parks worthy of attention; I've explored them and found this out the hard way. The museums are dull and staring at a Finger Lake isn't fun for me. I couldnt care less about the colors of trees. Burn them down for all I care.

Where I live now, the parks are beautiful and well taken care of. New amenities and nice views, all dressed up. Tons of restaurants, interesting bars and locales (we have a Ping Pong burger lounge for example). I'm sorry if you have a low threshold for interesting, but not everyone is like you.
Please look in the phonebook. There are well over 100 bars in the Rochester area.

If you're so happy where you are now, why are you wasting your time and energy on lowly Rochester? Don't you have something spectacular to do?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Please look in the phonebook. There are well over 100 bars in the Rochester area.

If you're so happy where you are now, why are you wasting your time and energy on lowly Rochester? Don't you have something spectacular to do?
lol @ bars in the phone book

I'm trying to save others. Maybe just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area