Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 06:45 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
All you people should really stop complaining about high Taxes. We lived on Long Island and left 8 years ago and paid $25,000 a year in taxes. We moved to Ohio and paid $100,000 for a home and are paying $1,500 a year in taxes. I wish we moved anywhere else than stayed on Long island. With our down payment on our Long Island home we could have paid cash for at least three really nice homes in Ohio and paid cash for at least two nice homes in Rochester. I laugh reading these posts. We are now thinking of moving to Rochester. We really miss New York and the stores being open late at night and miss the bagels and diners.

The taxes you paid on LI is an apples to oranges issue. The median household income for the Rochester metro is around $55K/year.

The main reason why taxes are so high are NY state mandates and the high cost of public employees there.

If you move to Rochester, you won't find much that's worthwhile open late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 12:49 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
The taxes you paid on LI is an apples to oranges issue. The median household income for the Rochester metro is around $55K/year.

The main reason why taxes are so high are NY state mandates and the high cost of public employees there.

If you move to Rochester, you won't find much that's worthwhile open late at night.
The Rochester school budget is $975M. Its population is down to 208k, making each person's share of the budget $4.7k. But per capita income is only $15.8k.

You don't need to be an economist or a mathematician to see the mess they are in. As more people continue to leave the city, it will only get worse.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
The Rochester school budget is $975M. Its population is down to 208k, making each person's share of the budget $4.7k. But per capita income is only $15.8k.

You don't need to be an economist or a mathematician to see the mess they are in. As more people continue to leave the city, it will only get worse.
Not to be a stickler, but the per capita income for the city is $19,830 according to 2012-2016 census data.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not to be a stickler, but the per capita income for the city is $19,830 according to 2012-2016 census data.
Not according to this. Even if it was, the point is the same.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester,_New_York

Old 08-06-2018, 02:30 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Not according to this. Even if it was, the point is the same.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester,_New_York
That is 2010 census data...Check American FactFinder or QuickFacts.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is 2010 census data...Check American FactFinder or QuickFacts.
The point remains the same. It's a ticking time bomb.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:30 AM

116 posts, read 622,389 times
My home is appraised at $204k and I pay about $7k/year, and no more tax deductions for next year per Trump's plan (though my overall rate is going to decrease a touch as I ran numbers already).

I'm looking at buying a house in Penfield. Every year 3.7% of assessed value (which will basically match market value at time of purchase), so $3700/year per $100k of house.

Is that obscene? It is. It is beyond obscene. The only silver lining to this is that a $400k house in Penfield could be over 3000 square feet in an amazing area with superb schools, something that is unachievable in most of the country for that amount of money.

My house has penfield schools, 2700 square feet livable area, was built this century, in a nice subdivision, and it's assessed at $204k. So that is just impossible in the rest of the country outside of a few rare areas, so it makes paying $7k/year in taxes more palatable.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:32 AM

116 posts, read 622,389 times
Quote:
The point remains the same. It's a ticking time bomb.
Yes, well as we all know Rochester is a total dump. They spend well north of $10k/year per head on kids for education (every bit as much as the wealthier suburbs) and have around a 50% high school graduation rate (suburbs virtually everyone graduates) because the families are completely and utterly broken in the city school district.

You say they have a budget of $1B for a population of 200k? How many of those are kids in school? 50k? Not sure, something around that I'd guess. The problem the city has is the problem lots of failing school systems have. They see terrible performance from kids and assume more money can fix it, as if throwing fresh 2X4's at a house fire is going to stave off destruction of the house.

Anybody who has two nickles to rub together leaves, or never goes there to begin with.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams View Post
My home is appraised at $204k and I pay about $7k/year, and no more tax deductions for next year per Trump's plan (though my overall rate is going to decrease a touch as I ran numbers already).

I'm looking at buying a house in Penfield. Every year 3.7% of assessed value (which will basically match market value at time of purchase), so $3700/year per $100k of house.

Is that obscene? It is. It is beyond obscene. The only silver lining to this is that a $400k house in Penfield could be over 3000 square feet in an amazing area with superb schools, something that is unachievable in most of the country for that amount of money.

My house has penfield schools, 2700 square feet livable area, was built this century, in a nice subdivision, and it's assessed at $204k. So that is just impossible in the rest of the country outside of a few rare areas, so it makes paying $7k/year in taxes more palatable.
No question, you get a lot for your monthly here. I sure did. But you spend thousands more per year in property taxes than almost anywhere else. And when you sell, price appreciation will be minimal. I bought in 2008 as the market was tanking. I'll be lucky to average 2% annual appreciation when I sell despite several upgrades, including new roof, heater and AC and appliances.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:13 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
No question, you get a lot for your monthly here. I sure did. But you spend thousands more per year in property taxes than almost anywhere else. And when you sell, price appreciation will be minimal. I bought in 2008 as the market was tanking. I'll be lucky to average 2% annual appreciation when I sell despite several upgrades, including new roof, heater and AC and appliances.
Before the ramp up that led to the most recent housing collapse 2-2.5% appreciation was a good year on average. New roof, furnace/ac are not considered upgrades but necessities that must be in working order at the time of sale, appliance upgrades may be recoverable depending on age and the going rate in your neighborhood. I have seen many people upgrade too much or too recently and then try to recoup it in the sale. I was told at one open house that the seller was taking the home off the market, putting on a new roof and then relisting at a higher price which is considered immoral in the real estate world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area