Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times

Advertisements

I love knowing that if I don't have something, one of my neighbors does or knows someone else who does, and no one minds you borrowing it since they'll probably be needing something of yours soon enough

Having folks let you know when they're going into town (3-4 hours away) and asking if you need them to pick up anything... and them actually picking it up!!

"Bread Night" where we go bake a dozen loaves of bread in our neighbor's *huge* oven and just hang out drinking hot cider and playing with the kids so the lady of the house can have a little breather, and then having some "adult time" playing cards or board games once the kids go to bed.

Having neighbors who don't mind watching your house and pets while you're away, to include keeping the woodstove burning so everything doesn't freeze, even though you're over a mile away.

Being able to trade my knowledge for thier knowledge... regardless of category, or age, or gender, there's always someone who knows how to do something you want to learn and wants to learn something that you already know. There's so much less "information hoarding" in our little community than in town or in the city.

Absolutely no pollution -- no noise, no street lights, no funky chemicals, no exhaust fumes, no acid rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times
No traffic, noise, lights or hoards of people. It is ridiculously peaceful.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:57 AM

4 posts, read 7,394 times
I love my town very much. It's rather small, but very beautiful. It's a shipbuilding town, there is a river flowing across the town and many beautiful bridges. The life here is very quiet, slow. I like that I can get everywhere I need for 15-20 min. It takes me about 30-40 min to get to distant town areas.My family and friends live here, so I'll never change it for big city.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM

451 posts, read 999,496 times
Default Why do you LOVE living in a small town?

What they ^^^^^ all said covers most of it.

And there are those of us that live several miles outside of our nearest small town. It's dark out here at night, you cannot see the back of your own hand without a flashlight on moonless nights. On clear nights the Milky Way is actually sort of bright when you look up, and you can see way more stars, satellites and meteors with the naked eye here than when you are bathed in the 'earth-glow' of nighttime populous areas.

You can discover nature all around you without making a special trip. We don't need a zoo to see incredible wildlife - we just need to step outside.
Maybe John Denver said it best, "I know I'd be a poorer man if I never saw an eagle fly..." (Rocky Mountain High). Mountain lions regularly visit the environs of our towns here, as do deer, bear, elk and the occasional moose. It made national news a couple months back when the woman near Missoula defended herself and her dogs from a bear in her yard with nothing more than her wits and a large zucchini.

When in large bunches (crowds), humans tend to behave a bit weirdly. [Ever heard of "crowd control"?] Mice start killing and eating each other when too many of them inhabit in close proximity. Bees divide and migrate away when a hive becomes too large. This may have application to why some of us prefer a less crowded existence, but I don't know that for sure. It is an observation rather than clear scientific evidence.

Being less noisy, hectic and distracting than big city life, the opportunity for quiet reflection, introspection and philosophical meandering fairly envelopes the small-town dwellers - often so even as we go about our daily work. We have time to think and thus some of us even make a practice of it. You know, "Practice makes perfect"? () It is small wonder to me, at least, that many cowboys write poetry and compose songs during their solitary pursuits. Writers often "retreat" to a place of solitude to accomplish their 'magnum opus'.

Rural people nearly always help other people in rural settings. We don't wait for, nor depend on, government services. If they exist at all, they are often too distant to be much help when needed most. So we're willing to put ourselves out a bit to help someone in need - we rather expect they'll do the same for us when that time comes. Put me in a city and I am out of my element - wanting to help, but somewhat reluctant due to the perception of differing values and expectations.

These are not universal truths of the small town and rural area dwellers, but they do tend to represent many of us... or so I believe.

Oh, by the way, thanks for asking!

mg

Last edited by montygarlic; 11-04-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
And THANKS for sharing!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
I also kind of love that a lot of city dwellers are kind of scared of small towns. That they think it is all hicks and rednecks. The truth is that there are so many people from such a varied background (even in my isolated mountain ranching town), just like there are in the city. Except here, you get to meet everyone, learn from them, and learn to live side by side with them (whether you agree their stance on life or not).

Two of our friends--who have mainly lived in large cities--warned us not to move to our current town because of the 'rednecks' and 'closedmindedness', etc. But you have the same ratio of different people in the big city as you do in the small town. It's just in a small town, you can't ignore them, pretend they aren't there, etc. You have to learn to live with them and doing so, I think, makes you and the community better. You learn why a person acts/thinks the way they do or at least a little of their background, and you may find that your first impression is totally wrong. Also, you learn to watch what you say because the person you are about to complain about might be a good friend of the person you are talking to. (I think learning to hold your tongue is a very positive--and sometimes hard to learn--trait!)

Old 11-26-2010, 07:58 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
I like that for the most part, less crime. Realistically, anywhere a person lives, the more people the bigger chance of crime rates. In my experiences, a lot of smaller rural areas you can pretty much trust your neighbour and not have to worry about locking up every time you go somewhere. I like that everyone knows everyone, and though theres going to be one idiot in every town, for the most part, you know who to stay away from.
If places like HOA, modern day subdivisions and some 'communities' from larger cities are supposed to be so 'safe', then why the need to lock up every time, or have alarms in your home, why have security driving around, or why are people afraid to open windows and doors during the day to let in natural lighting? Why block wall fencing to 'keep noise out' or 'keep nosy neighbours away'? And why does one have to lock their house up just to walk a block away, or half a block, whichever, to check their mail in a cluster of mailboxes on a stand...isnt it supposed to be a secure neighbourhood?
Not every small town is going to be a paradise, but again, it doesnt take a genius to think about these things.

Last edited by country pride; 11-26-2010 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: added/removed a couple of things.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:05 AM

451 posts, read 999,496 times
In an earlier post I mentioned rural (or small town) people helping others.

While we were at the Post Office in town yesterday, my wife saw a woman slip and fall down crossing the snowy sidewalk between the building and where her car was parked. We were in the parking lot and about 50 yards away at the time. By the time we reached her, four other people were helping her to her feet; two of those had stopped their cars on the street to jump out and lend assistance.

I don't know that folks in cities would or would not respond, but I think that they might get a ticket or yelled at by other motorists if they stopped their cars in the middle of the street.

By the way, the woman was fine - nothing broken, etc. - and everyone went back about their business as though nothing happened. 'Cause when you think about it, not much did... at least so far as we 'Country Folk' are concerned. Merely reported here as another reason to Love living in a small town as opposed to the big city.

mg

Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I don't live "in town" but close (4 miles) on 10 acres, the quiet, the peace and that I can go outside any time of day or night and feel safe. Seeing the wildlife not in a zoo but in my "front yard". Watching the latest crop of deer grow up from spring to fall and seeing the cavort in my pasture...getting those deer zoomies going.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:52 PM

133 posts, read 412,454 times
I live in a small town and I love it here.... it's not too far from a medium size town with alot of shopping and restaurants. I love the peace and quiet and the fresh country air. It's more relaxing and things may be spread out totally, but it's no big problem. There's a beautiful view everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living