Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 05:19 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a fairly rural part of New Jersey. I lock doors as a matter of course - house and car. We had the neighborhood heroin addicts break into our house several times, once when we were home. Having a gun in the house didn't really help, but getting an alarm did. That solved the problem entirely.

Today I live in an urban area that really is the suburbs, imo, even if it is highly walkable. But my neighbors are in easy yelling distance. I lock my doors diligently because I know what CAN happen. I'm not worried about home invasions or anything like that. There's nothing portable in my house that has a resale value over $100. But I do have two very protective and well-trained dogs. I'm not getting an alarm - to me a false alarm is more dangerous than having one. Too many cops have shot dogs that were doing their job.

I'm not an easy target, and I intend to remain that way. But I think this is just common sense, not paranoia. When I was growing up it was a lot scarier. In a rural area there are fewer people, but that doesn't mean they're somehow nicer or something. There's no one to hear you scream. In my childhood home, I could've yelled my lungs out and no one would have noticed. Here, I'm not hearing my neighbors all the time, but if my dogs start barking in the middle of the night, lights are going to come on. Frankly, given all the breakins I'm shocked my parents ever left me home, even with an alarm. Our dogs were outdoor dogs that were kenneled at night and we had a big house. It was DARK on the property and it backed up to woods. It was basically a horror movie waiting to happen.

I feel much safer where I am, even though I don't have an alarm or a gun. But I'm surrounded by people who know me and guarded by some reliable dogs. I have a well-list house with good windows and sturdy doors and not much to induce thieves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:26 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
If there is a gun in the home, the chances of someone being killed by a gun increases. Obviously. If you are paranoid, it probably increases even more. It has nothing to do with rural towns.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:24 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,522,085 times
We’re in deep; driveway is 1/2 mile up my steep mountainside, when an auto is coming 1/2 way up a driveway alarm sounds in the house, when no one is home the driveway gate is closed and locked, of course when home, the 12 ga is close by...no worries here.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:46 AM

748 posts, read 840,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Biggest city in my state is 60,000 people.
You really have to factor in the entire metro area of Portland, as the city does not stop right at the border.

You can drive from Portland to South Portland to Scarborough to Cape Elizabeth to Westbrook, etc. without seeing a gap in the population concentration. The real population is over a million, far too crowded for my tastes.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:34 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
There are people that seek around here all th time for proof I smell cigarette smoke and no one here smokes.
I also was a tracker for Search and rescue so I can fallow every singing place an intruder went. I am in wine country and we get goof balls sneaking around for any thing they can find,
It is understandable that people can get a bit paranoid no matter where you are we live in a country with a greater population than there was 50 years ago, and a whole lot more illegals.
Vigilance requires clear thought and a trained response. call 911 and remain in the defensive. My life is worth more than the junk out side , and they have plenty of opportunity while I'm gone during the day.

Occasionally I go out side to deal with predators after my chickens , If I know what the threat is , like a possum my pellet gun is enough to deal with it. I even took ou bob cats with my bow, I resist using something like a fire arm with my neighbors 100 yards away when the pellet gun or bow and arrow is sufficient.
If however the threat is a break in, that is a whole other issue, and that is a personal attack I am prepared to meet with significant force. I lock my doors but window glass is nothing to get through if some one is determined.
I have accidentally locked my keys in side and scoped out the house to get in otherwise and now know it's weaknesses.
Cameras are a good deterrent but in a remote area no guarantee. motion sensor lights help a bit but you must both maintain them and have them at a position not easily compromised.
I have remote alarms but maintaining them all is a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living