Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:12 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times

Advertisements

I live in California and I'm removed from politics and social issues. How? I don't read political and social news articles; I just glance at them. I live my life day-to-day only dealing with people I see and are directly in my life, i.e. family, co-workers, friends. I'm lucky that they do not talk about politics and social problems in public!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM

661 posts, read 522,029 times
Since my great-grandparents era, it just looks like there has been an ongoing trend with corruption at the major levels and even hate/intolerance of other views. Also sprinkle in some existential catastrophic threats like possible nuclear war, EMP blast attack (or) even something else that's man-made. As a person who is in my 20s and still much younger than a lot of others, I feel like it's become very hard to live with or under it. I also won't pray to "God" about it, because the nature of events that people "pray" about never changes, it's more like a placebo idea that people use to try coping.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
So do what your great grandparents did. Get a job, make money, get a girlfriend, get married, have kids, raise your kids, retire. You won't have much time to consider existential or political threats. The world has always been corrupt and average people have always had to find their niche to make a life for themseves and their families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Since my great-grandparents era, it just looks like there has been an ongoing trend with corruption at the major levels and even hate/intolerance of other views. Also sprinkle in some existential catastrophic threats like possible nuclear war, EMP blast attack (or) even something else that's man-made. As a person who is in my 20s and still much younger than a lot of others, I feel like it's become very hard to live with or under it. I also won't pray to "God" about it, because the nature of events that people "pray" about never changes, it's more like a placebo idea that people use to try coping.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
So do what your great grandparents did. Get a job, make money, get a girlfriend, get married, have kids, raise your kids, retire. You won't have much time to consider existential or political threats. The world has always been corrupt and average people have always had to find their niche to make a life for themseves and their families.
I'm not completely sure myself. At least it looks that way compared to previous generations before me, even though they had their own problems too. Most of the bad and corruption back then didn't seem as "bad" as it is today. Who knows, it's already way more difficult for raising a family since everything has gotten so more expensive. I know some people say that it's not totally extinct, but the pool of those "eligible" for achieving enough money and success for that is getting more narrow.

How are many people that confident about being able to be successful with any field, to be able to do something major like having kids? Especially if you are under 40. And singleness and divorce rates very high today (little more so for men than women), it doesn't look like anything good to me.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:03 PM

If you talk to anyone over 40 they will tell you it was always something you had to fight to achieve. My Dad came back from WWII with no job and no apartment and my Mom who was a war bride. Lived in his Dad's converted garage until I was about 4. Then we moved into the projects and my parents split up. Try being a divorced woman in the 1950's raising a kid. Maybe the difference is we didn't think about it we just did it because we felt there was no other choice.

Worked my way through college in L.A. and had no good job prospects, was working at minimum wage 2-1/2 years after graduation, so I relocated to NYC on a Greyhound bus with a grocery bag of food and one suitcase of clothes and about $60 in cash. I slept in my Dad's living room for 6 weeks. I talked and lied and argued my way into my first NYC job after two weeks of walking around NYC, looking for work in the dead of winter, wearing my L.A. raincoat and my Dad's sweater. I remember telling myself, in the warm lobby of the office building, that if I don't get this job I deserve to freeze to death, and I kept talking until the HR person gave up and hired me. After a year on the night shift I got on days and met my wife on a crowded subway. Got her phone number after chatting with her. Was engaged 5 months later and married 10 months after that. Rented and renovated a run down 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. Had our first child. Two years later had twins and moved to a 2 bedroom apartment. Got a better paying job after 7 years at the first company. Seven years later at the age of 38, put a down payment on an old house in Staten Island. (My Dad bought his first house at the age of 40.) Our mortgage payment was about 5x what our rent had been. Used credit cards to stay afloat, was in debt for years until the kids were grown and moved out. Retired 10 years ago. Just kept putting one foot in front of the other and did it. Never wanted to be rich. Just wanted my little corner of the world and some crumbs off the big table. Worked out fine.
Quote:
I'm not completely sure myself. At least it looks that way compared to previous generations before me, even though they had their own problems too. Most of the bad and corruption back then didn't seem as "bad" as it is today. Who knows, it's already way more difficult for raising a family since everything has gotten so more expensive. I know some people say that it's not totally extinct, but the pool of those "eligible" for achieving enough money and success for that is getting more narrow.

How are many people that confident about being able to be successful with any field, to be able to do something major like having kids? Especially if you are under 40. And singleness and divorce rates very high today (little more so for men than women), it doesn't look like anything good to me.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-10-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM

Do you mind me asking if your older today than those in their 20s and 30s?

Old 09-10-2018, 03:53 PM

I'm 72 but have 3 kids and 6 grandkids, plus I know the story of my parents, aunts and uncles and grandparents, so I think I have a long term view of life. Every generation and person in it has to find their own way. Some do and some don't.
Quote:
Do you mind me asking if your older today than those in their 20s and 30s?

Old 09-10-2018, 04:00 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
A suggestion: stop watching the news so much. Or if you do watch (listen, read, whatever), try different news outlets. If you only pay attention to one side, you are not getting the full story. Variety will give you a more balance view of what is going on.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,293 times
Quote:

People always think that previous generations didn't have it so bad- your great grandparents probably thought that their grandparents had it easy compared to what they went through.

You probably need to figure out why you feel this way. If it is due to outside forces, you can change jobs or your environment or even widen your circle of friends. If it is due to internal forces, you will need to make so changes in your thinking or you will carry your problems wherever you go.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,151 times
Wow, so you have to actually TALK to people with different ideas from you!

WHAT A SHAME!

Go on now, run on back to your home in the holler. Try to forget that not everybody is a hate-filled bigot intent on killin' all the browns and tha gays. I'm sure you'll have PTSD and nightmares for years!

You think divorce rates are higher for men than women? Just how does that happen in your world where a man has to marry a woman (as opposed to another man)? How do you get more male divorcees than female? LOLLOLOLLOL!

Orange is the color of corruption, and its all over the White House these days. This is the most corrupt and venal administration we have ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living