Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in a small metro in northeast TN. We're a poor, but fairly insulated and self-sufficient area. It's conservative, but you really wouldn't hear that much about national politics if you didn't seek out.

It's definitely much more "in your face" in major cities.
Very few people live in the "major cities" - the US Population lives in the burbs and exburbs and many towns (some bigger, some smaller) surrounding the major cities.

It's a truism that the more people are squashed together, the more problems they often have (unless their culture has adapted them to it over generations).....

So it doesn't surprise me that people with more room...and less people per square mile...may be less reactionary in their daily lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Even small towns have social and political strife.

Can’t run away from human nature.
This sums it up well.

I tried the whole run-away-to-a-different-location thing, and ended up disappointed and blind-sided by new problems that overshadowed the previous politics stuff.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:46 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
How does this affect you in your day to day life? I don't understand.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:04 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
I agree with all that has been said about your friend making better use of the resources that are available to him for food and medical care.
But you know, I have to wonder, why is he living only on SS and Medicare? Did he not plan for his future/retirement/old age? I don't mean to sound harsh, but I see a lot of this where I live and the people are complaining and want the government to take care of them now that they are old and without many resources. I'm not sure SS and Medicare were meant to be the end-all when one retires or ages.
And when did Congress tell him to shut up and die?
If you want to blame poor people for being poor, I can't help you. It's an inherent arrogance of our culture.

How did he end up old and broke? Briefly, his wife was diagnosed with leukemia. They had no medical insurance, and Medicaid took all their money. At the end, he took early SS to care for her, so she could die at home with someone who loved her rather than warehoused far from her family. Fortunately, they had mortgage insurance that paid off the house when she died. He getting his life back together until he turned 65, signed up for Medicare, and was diagnosed with colon cancer all in one year. Up until then he had been working part time, but the cancer took his health and he had to quit. His house needs repairs that he can't afford, so he can't even sell the house and stretch the proceeds. It's not much of a house anyway. The money would be gone in short order. Subsidized housing has a 2 year wait list, so even though he qualifies he would have to pay market rent. He does not have much in the way of options.

His story is far from unique. It's not hard to live a responsible, albeit low income, life and end up destitute because of unexpected medical expenses. It's people like that who need the government safety net, but the preachers stand up in their pulpits and spout the words of Jesus: "It's their own fault."

Old 09-14-2018, 09:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If you want to blame poor people for being poor, I can't help you. It's an inherent arrogance of our culture.

How did he end up old and broke? Briefly, his wife was diagnosed with leukemia. They had no medical insurance, and Medicaid took all their money. At the end, he took early SS to care for her, so she could die at home with someone who loved her rather than warehoused far from her family. Fortunately, they had mortgage insurance that paid off the house when she died. He getting his life back together until he turned 65, signed up for Medicare, and was diagnosed with colon cancer all in one year. Up until then he had been working part time, but the cancer took his health and he had to quit. His house needs repairs that he can't afford, so he can't even sell the house and stretch the proceeds. It's not much of a house anyway. The money would be gone in short order. Subsidized housing has a 2 year wait list, so even though he qualifies he would have to pay market rent. He does not have much in the way of options.

His story is far from unique. It's not hard to live a responsible, albeit low income, life and end up destitute because of unexpected medical expenses. It's people like that who need the government safety net, but the preachers stand up in their pulpits and spout the words of Jesus: "It's their own fault."
I agree that this is where publicly funded resources should focus, but it is hard to get the notion of realistic limits into the heads of those who preach, “Save EVERY PERSON no matter what.” We are wasting time and money on people who have chosen to repeatedly drug themselves after being repeatedly saved from ODs. Pouring money down a bottomless pit while other people who try hard are invisible or ignored.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
There's got to be ways for him to use his resources as limited as they are, and available free food and meal programs, to supplement his food budget. He even said he couldn't utilize free food because he couldn't carry bags of groceries. What about a cart? Even the homeless with no income find a way to eat. If he is starving to death, he's not doing all that can be done to save himself.
I don't know where Larry's friend lives, but not everyone lives in an area within walking distance, even with a cart, to food pantries and other services. "Meals on wheels" programs aren't available everywhere, and many rural/small towns don't have transportation options. As far as even the homeless managing to find a way to eat, that's because services that feed them for free tend to be located where the homeless actually are. ETA food also costs a lot more if a small town grocery store is all you have access to.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-14-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 02:59 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
It's only because you're hearing about it 24/7 nowadays. Internet, tv, papers, magazines. Hell.. even the stinking food magazines I get have to put at least 1 politically charged article in each month it seems. So, if you don't tune out, and you don't believe in God or prayer... well.. good luck to ya.

I am 55 and God and prayer has become ridiculous for me. I no longer believe. Haven't for years , nothings changed . I went another way . Today most of the folks who call themselves the C word do not adhere to the be kind to others principles anyway. Sorry I know I seem crabby but I read another of your posts and your husband passed on the day mine was buried and I am sorry for both of us.

OP my youngest is 17 and next is 24 and they feel the same way as you do . It is scary out there now. I wish I could go back to the 70's many days even the 60's when I was a kid . Degrees don't do as much , The divorce rate IS high , there are too many people in the world now period and the divisiveness/ hate in the United States is the worst I have ever seen it . I understand your concern . I wish I had the answers - because it's not prayer .

Old 10-12-2018, 08:35 AM

1,372 posts, read 615,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
This is going to be kind of long.

I understand that this isn't the politics forum. But one of these days I am thinking about leaving the city/suburbs for an area that is relatively more remote or sparse, even if it's in a different state or part of the country. The politics part is that I have anxiety about the social and political future of America.

I wouldn't call my politics conservative per se, but it's too overwhelming for me because there are some people on the opposite side who despite the optimism some people may have, still have quite a lot of influence in American society, if not necessarily in government right now. I don't see the corruption going down, and it might not at all. Even though I'm not saying that I disagree or hate all the ideas of the "other side" (hint: today's political left), but I have seen them helping corruption more than the right in my perspective.

Can I just go find a community in America where most of the people just live-and-let-be or relatively more removed from the climate and despair today? What are my options? I am having a hard time putting these thoughts in myself.

I can't say that I blame you at this point in time. Even small towns suffer the same in the politics stuff tho, sometimes it might be worse due to being a contained small group of people as opposed to a large city or suburb where people tend to go their way. My suggestion to you is tune it all out if possible, read the Sunday papers for a time to just catch up on what is going on and clear your head a bit also helps not watch the TV news with all the drama from the talking heads, excuse yourself when talk of politics ensue and go on your merry way. Good luck

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM

405 posts, read 257,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
I can't say that I blame you at this point in time. Even small towns suffer the same in the politics stuff tho, sometimes it might be worse due to being a contained small group of people as opposed to a large city or suburb where people tend to go their way. My suggestion to you is tune it all out if possible, read the Sunday papers for a time to just catch up on what is going on and clear your head a bit also helps not watch the TV news with all the drama from the talking heads, excuse yourself when talk of politics ensue and go on your merry way. Good luck

It's amazing how little your life changes based on who is in political power. y own life has meandered along for 62 years. I've made every mistake in the book, and where I'm at today is 100% due to what I've done or not done. If you are always looking for government to be your salvation you'll be sorely disappointed.

Going back to another discussion in this thread. I have worked in social services for many years and have seen it all. Here's an example from a recent case load - but there are many similar. A man (in his 50s) who got a head injury at 17. His SS income is quite low ($800, I believe), and he gets $100 or a bit more in food stamps. BUT, he lives in a subsidized apartment, for which he pays 150 a month, including his utilities. He eats very poorly, but smokes (tobacco and weed) and drinks daily. 3 daily habits/addictions doesn't leave much. I don't know where the artist guy lives, but around me are a million food pantries and soup kitchens. Bus passes for people on SS are very low cost. There has never been a time in history when it didn't suck to be destitute, and no administration is going to change the rates of addiction. We are free to choose our paths and there is always a cause and effect to what we do, but it's silly - after a lifetime of making choices to start blaming the Federal government for the predicament we find ourselves in. And THAT is not "blaing" people for being poor. It's recognizing that some people do everything in their power to get there.

I, BTW, have been working poor all my life. money has never been an important goal for me.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
Ive rejected big city living more because of the crime and the general nastiness of people in big citues. Plus, imho big cities either make people more crazy, or just attacts these types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living