Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
I feel if your colored you have more options than most,
and the color is Green.
You see what I mean? Racial prejudice is the cesspool of rural life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 02:35 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You see what I mean? Racial prejudice is the cesspool of rural life.
And moving to a more rural area doesn't automatically mean a more peaceful life free of political strife, either. Small town politics can be absolutely vicious.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
I'm already planning on buying a nice rural parcel in the Northwoods. I figure it will be a long-term incremental process of buying the parcel, running the electric, drilling the well, getting a permit, and building a small super-efficient house that is mostly off-grid. Escaping most heat and humidity in the lower 48 is a never ending battle. The western US has seen more overall climate warming and is too risky to buy now due to increased fire danger threats and droughts. So, I think some very low population density areas east of the Rockies are a better long-term strategy.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
And moving to a more rural area doesn't automatically mean a more peaceful life free of political strife, either. Small town politics can be absolutely vicious.
They are the worse if you try to get involved, or lord forbid, get on the wrong side of one of the connected people/relatives.

It will not be grand politics like on the state and national level, it will be worse, more personal. It will be the cashier closing up the register as your turn comes, it will be the harassment of your kid in school by teachers and even other students depending on age, it will be the constant hounding and nitpicking of your property for any violation, the constant ostracizing from others. The list goes on and on.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:11 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
They are the worse if you try to get involved, or lord forbid, get on the wrong side of one of the connected people/relatives.

It will not be grand politics like on the state and national level, it will be worse, more personal. It will be the cashier closing up the register as your turn comes, it will be the harassment of your kid in school by teachers and even other students depending on age, it will be the constant hounding and nitpicking of your property for any violation, the constant ostracizing from others. The list goes on and on.

I presume that since the OP is feeling overwhelmed with politics now, if he were to move, he wouldn't be getting involved in the local politics. He's trying to escape it rather than get involved in it.

Also, if one is rural enough like I have been for the past 23 yrs. There are no 'local' politics. No town hall, no meetings, no mayor, nothing. Maybe a cookout at the nearest Volunteer Fire dept. That's about it.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:50 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
I think the sweet spot for less stressful living is in a town that’s large enough that everyone does not know everyone and diverse enough that you can find a comfortable niche. It needs to be small enough where you can have easy access to elected officials and various interest groups so that you can become involved if you want to. You might want it to be small enough where you feel crime is lower, there’s less traffic, and you can get to know the people who run the businesses you frequent. You might need more green space, more nature, larger parks, more fresh air and more privacy.

There are hundreds of places like this. Get unstuck. And see a doctor about your depressed mood.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:48 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
OP try a farming community in say Tn, Ok, Tx or Ar. Farmers are too busy working their farm to watch news or want to chat about it. The states I mentioned do not want a state or local government to intrude in their lies nor do they look to the government to solve problems for them. In these places the local and state government is not going to impact you much daily.

Spend more time keeping yourself strong by walking and not to have those hours to watch Tv news or waste it on the internet.

You wont need nor find the kinds of doctor recommended to solve your mood challenges..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living