Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 PM

661 posts, read 521,642 times

Advertisements

This is going to be kind of long.

I understand that this isn't the politics forum. But one of these days I am thinking about leaving the city/suburbs for an area that is relatively more remote or sparse, even if it's in a different state or part of the country. The politics part is that I have anxiety about the social and political future of America.

I wouldn't call my politics conservative per se, but it's too overwhelming for me because there are some people on the opposite side who despite the optimism some people may have, still have quite a lot of influence in American society, if not necessarily in government right now. I don't see the corruption going down, and it might not at all. Even though I'm not saying that I disagree or hate all the ideas of the "other side" (hint: today's political left), but I have seen them helping corruption more than the right in my perspective.

Can I just go find a community in America where most of the people just live-and-let-be or relatively more removed from the climate and despair today? What are my options? I am having a hard time putting these thoughts in myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 04:55 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Even small towns have social and political strife.

Can’t run away from human nature.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:20 PM

661 posts, read 521,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Even small towns have social and political strife.

Can’t run away from human nature.

Yeah, well I had a lot more on my mind about it then what I said in my OP.
I just want to be left alone better than where I am right now.

This is just me rambling a little bit, I am just overwhelmed by being in a more populated area. In the county where I live, I live right outside the principle city in a suburb, but even here the suburb/town is more than 50,000 population. I'd be interested in less than 20,000 or less than 10,000 (or even under 1,000). It will be preferable that if the nearest big area wasn't as close near relatively speaking.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It's not so much the number of people, but the people themselves. There are many places that fit your description, though they may be hard to find, and most likely expensive. Our city for example, is about 60,000, but we have only two strip malls, no big box stores, basically a bedroom community. The homes are expensive, median now over $800k, there are very few apartments, schools are highly rated and crime rate is very low. There are still lots of old growth trees, some areas of woods, 3 lakes, and scenic views. We even have streets like mine without sidewalks. We have found that people here are very accepting of others, and friendly but not bothersome.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Sammamish-Washington.html

Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
This is going to be kind of long.

I understand that this isn't the politics forum. But one of these days I am thinking about leaving the city/suburbs for an area that is relatively more remote or sparse, even if it's in a different state or part of the country. The politics part is that I have anxiety about the social and political future of America.

I wouldn't call my politics conservative per se, but it's too overwhelming for me because there are some people on the opposite side who despite the optimism some people may have, still have quite a lot of influence in American society, if not necessarily in government right now. I don't see the corruption going down, and it might not at all. Even though I'm not saying that I disagree or hate all the ideas of the "other side" (hint: today's political left), but I have seen them helping corruption more than the right in my perspective.

Can I just go find a community in America where most of the people just live-and-let-be or relatively more removed from the climate and despair today? What are my options? I am having a hard time putting these thoughts in myself.
I live in the woods 20 mi from the nearest grocery store. No politics here, or rather I'm not into it if there is...

plus, I removed the Politics forum on CD from my list of subscribed threads. That helped a lot...

Old 09-10-2018, 09:41 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
plus, I removed the Politics forum on CD from my list of subscribed threads. That helped a lot...
Bingo:

Here is a shortcut to search for new threads, excluding Politics, for those members who are interested...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...ew&exclude=114

Old 09-10-2018, 10:21 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
I lived very remotely and it helped (I moved last month). It did not help that my husband was a political columnist and news junkie (I had my own moments in the past too). But we came to a general agreement that he turn the sound down on the tv and read the close captioning if he was interested in what was on. I have been in news avoidance mode for some time now. When my family gets together there are certain ones that will turn every conversation into politics. I can get drawn in but then I just can feel my blood pressure going up and it causes a lot of family division. My husband passed last Oct. I have not watched the news since. Some might say that's ignorant but enough people and sources seem to keep me informed of the most important things. If I'm at a family gathering and politics comes up, I walk away to another group of people. I stopped going to political forums and I cancelled my twitter acct. If I see a political headline or topic in a thread, it might be tempting to check it out but I stay away 99% of the time now. I'm protecting me, myself and my peace. Even if it's something I agree with, I avoid it. We are inundated with it 24/7 nowadays. It's too much, it's depressing. Certain types can spend the entire day immersed in it (I still believe it affects them to some degree) and not go nuts. I"m not one of those people anymore. And I'm much happier these days for it.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:09 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
As being pointed out, it's not really Where you live, it's more How you live. I'm also a news-avoider, after decades of following it I somehow realized that I was just money to be collected. The news outlets are just pushing out Anything that will garner them attention (clicks, reads... money) without regard for integrity. It's turned from being informed to being popular.

So, if you want to skip out on that, just tune out. Run into someone who wants to yack about it, tell them you follow the old ways of not discussing politics amongst family and friends. If they persist, turn your back and walk away (yes, I do this to family ~ even and especially my parents before they also tamed their "news" addiction). You will get no benefit from being drawn into those situations.

But, if you want to move you'll need to move somewhere completely away from people. Even if you found others exactly like yourself, they are going to be their own echo-chamber.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:26 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Well, I once relocated to a small town...2,146 pop...2010 This was in 2006. I connected with a small church, but the gossip fences were alive with "Did you hear of this and that?" I worked at a rehab company for Coke machines. (Hint, the pretty looking outside hides some damn ugly damage) The talk then from many workers (Who were in their 20's to 40's) was "Yeah, we got drunk, puked and got drunk some more"

Church....I got there just as they were finishing the Second Baptist Church. The pastor had gotten in a rift with the First and so they broke away and took quite a few of the well heeled parishioners.

There wasn't a lot of things to do late or on a weekend (Unless you want to get drunk, puke and drink some more)

The feeling I got was "Well, I guess I might as well curl up and die"

Now in regards to another "Small town" (Washington, IA) 7,026 2016 (I was there in 1996 and it was 10K) This was a town which had "Small Town Flavor" Christmas pageant, month long christmas decorations, movie theater (One but the longest running one is the state and still operational) One of the smallest walmarts you'll see (If still there)

The feeling from this community was "Let's get working"

So, I'd be VERY choosy as to what towns may be. I'd have a RV, spend a month and decide if it's worth staying at....

Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
OP, I think you are having a mental crisis. You can't move away from yourself. Solve your problems where you are. Politics really doesn't affect anyone personally, any more than who wins the superbowl or world series does. Even if it has an effect it's beyond your control. I'm a life long liberal. All my friends are conservative. We just don't discuss politics. If they say something disparaging about liberals I just say I am a liberal and I disagree with you. That generally kills the conversation and we move onto other topics. All my friends respect my right to have a differing opinion than they do and I do the same. For people who can't help themselves from engaging in constant political rants, I just avoid talking to them or snooze them on facebook. Arguing religion or politics is pointless because no one ever changes anyone's mind. Live and let live pretty much depends on you. Going off to become a hermit sounds a bit like Ted Kaczynski (the Unibomber). It didn't solve his political anxiety, it just intensified it.

Last edited by bobspez; 09-10-2018 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living