Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 09:08 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
No.
Go back and read the article. The author expressly states that...
Nope. Whats being disputed is how to define "suffering"

The small town folks object to the outsiders view about opiods, crime, wage rates, household income, welfare etc.
The rest is a similar hypersensitivity about the broader hyperbole related... with at least 50% of posts spent defending
their hurt feelings that outsiders aren't as broadminded as they are about accepting objective shortcomings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 09:28 AM

9,869 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
No.

Go back and read the article. The author expressly states that the only rural areas that aren't suffering are those with oil and gas jobs and those that are agricultural hubs. This isn't true, and is what is being disputed.

Yes, there are rural areas that are struggling. But there are also many that are thriving. You can't look at a comprehensive set of statistics and broadly assign them to the entire country.

The author accentuates the negatives while ignoring the positives. If it were a more balanced article, or if it focused on a specific area that truly is struggling instead of throwing all of rural America into the same pot, this thread would have died on page two.
Thank you. It's a biased article and people are adding all sorts of other "negatives" to rural living that weren't even mentioned in the article.

BTW, I do live in a rural area with lots of little Mayberry's and my husband goes to the little barbershop in town to get the local gossip.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:03 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. Whats being disputed is how to define "suffering"

The small town folks object to the outsiders view about opiods, crime, wage rates, household income, welfare etc.
The rest is a similar hypersensitivity about the broader hyperbole related... with at least 50% of posts spent defending
their hurt feelings that outsiders aren't as broadminded as they are about accepting objective shortcomings.
Again, go back and read posts. No one claimed there was no drug problems, crime, low wages or government assistance in small towns. That goes on everywhere from unincorporated communities to metropolis. No one disputes that.
Again the dispute is that rural America cover 97% of our landscape. As per the article 50 million of the 60 million rural inhabitants are not suffering economic distress, not all rural communities are in economic decline and "rural America" is not one homogeneous state.

We are all aware that some rural town's have been hit hard by a failing economy. We are all aware these are generally areas historically dependent on one industry or main manufacturer.

If the article looked at Detroit and implied every urban/metro area in the US suffered the exact same issues of unemployment, poverty, desolation, gang violence, negative migration, and drug abuse as Detroit and asked how are we going to save urban America, those living in urban areas would put up the same argument.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:14 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yep and when the move to rural areas the fist thing they want is street lights, regulations, restrictions, paved roads, more amenities (higher taxes).
Yes, we see it here on a regular basis.

People come to live rural and the first thing they want to change is to raise our taxes to bring in street lights, more code enforcement and crime.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Yep and when the move to rural areas the fist thing they want is street lights, regulations, restrictions, paved roads, more amenities (higher taxes).
In 60+ yrs and 15+ rural homesites, I have never seen streetlights, / urban type restrictions / amenities / availability of services or greater presence of law enforcement.

but... internet would be nice to save me a trip to town for a connection.

Just as REA 'rural electrification' did in 1930's. ('Energized' the rural economy). Put my dad's ice business on the rocks, so he started a rural milk hauling and ref bulk tank install business. (Still going today)

Taxes...

my current place has gone from $800 / yr to $14,700/yr (property taxes)

Not sustainable for a farm / low income. but... farmers do not have a 'majority' vote in our state. (or county).

Nor would we tolerate street light 'pollution'. We like viewing the STARS!

One obnoxious light 5 miles away can really kill that experience.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:15 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In 60+ yrs and 15+ rural homesites, I have never seen streetlights, / urban type restrictions / amenities / availability of services or greater presence of law enforcement.

but... internet would be nice to save me a trip to town for a connection.

Just as REA 'rural electrification' did in 1930's. ('Energized' the rural economy). Put my dad's ice business on the rocks, so he started a rural milk hauling and ref bulk tank install business. (Still going today)

Taxes...

my current place has gone from $800 / yr to $14,700/yr (property taxes)

Not sustainable for a farm / low income. but... farmers do not have a 'majority' vote in our state. (or county).

Nor would we tolerate street light 'pollution'. We like viewing the STARS!

One obnoxious light 5 miles away can really kill that experience.
Do you get farm/ag property tax rates?

Since I moved from town to "the country" our transplants who built later have put up very bright security lights, they have worked to get the road paved, they have complained about livestock and ATVs and mud on the road from ATVs, and the sound of gunfire. They have used round up on the grass right of way along the road (because it was ugly) which leached into the stream. And there was brief talk about putting up a gate at the entrance of the public road.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
No you still dont. No one said anything remotely resembling "Every single rural area in Anerica is just plum dandy". No need for me to continue to explain, you can go back and read the post again if your actually open to comprehending them.
Every single rural area in America is just plum dandy as long as the city slickers stay out.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
And higher Cost-Of-Living, street lights, gangs, all the city nonsense.

I have no idea where people get ideas.

FBI crime statistics break it down as incidents per 100,000 people.

There are cities where 100,000 people make one city block.

There are also counties with 100,000 people spread out among one city, 40 towns, and a bunch of rural areas [less than 10 people per square-mile].

If your FBI crime statistics says one rape per 100,000 people. In a big city you could have one on each block, every year. In my small town [population 235] there might hear of one every 425 generations.

With the same exact crime stats, in a city there could be one rape every year on your block. In a small town you could go for over 400 generations before statistics would predict one rape.
My county has 220,000 people in an area the size of Connecticut. The biggest town is the county seat, at 22,000 people. The economy is generally going well, and population is growing about 1%+ a year.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Do you get farm/ag property tax rates?

Since I moved from town to "the country" our transplants who built later have put up very bright security lights, they have worked to get the road paved, they have complained about livestock and ATVs and mud on the road from ATVs, and the sound of gunfire. They have used round up on the grass right of way along the road (because it was ugly) which leached into the stream. And there was brief talk about putting up a gate at the entrance of the public road.
Ag exemption is ONLY for the NON-residential portion of property . County designates a 1 Acre minimum to 'improvements' / residence and it gets the full meal deal taxation ($300 / SF for my home, (which I built for $38 / SF) ...$20k for the septic (which I installed myself for $1200), $10k for well...

Your new neighbors are short on 'neighborly-care / awareness', regretfully... is not unusual in our 'entitlement' society. (we get it REALLY BAD in TX, not so bad in WA)

Your area looks to be near Crossville, TN (I only know due to TAP publishing)
Planes, Cranes, and now 'weather' TAP Publishing Company

But it is sad... as I was hoping to spend a few yrs in NE TN (building and selling rural 'fixers' / view props... ) but... I hear TN 'neighbors' are not always 'neighborly'. Sometimes frequent problems in Mtn areas.

Rural and REALLY rural is more my taste (miles between houses).

BTW: as a professional licensed herbicide applicator / & 5 decade farmer... Glyphosate is usually pretty safe / inert, but "Roundup" version needs to be put on in DRY weather and not in presence of standing water / stream run-off. It is safe enough to DRINK, (tho I don't recommend that!) but not too healthy for fish. Once it has dried (~15 min) it is unlikely to get washed off plant material. (<1% rinse off rate) . You really need to mess up your application to contaminate a stream with Roundup. There are Glyphosate products that are intended / listed as waterway legal (including in active ponds / streams / wetlands)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-05-2019 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 01:50 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Why was it not brought up, the new farm bill had provisions to bring high speed INTERNET to the rural areas of the country, just as the rural electrification that was done in the 1930s to bring electricity to rural areas. It is coming to rural areas starting soon.

And they don,t have to wire each home and business, as it can be done with wireless towers, just like with cell phones, as is being done in some city areas.

Rural areas have Satellite Internet with speeds 25mps to 100mps, available right now.

Internet phone systems upgrade a lot of rural phone services. Cost as little as $7 a month for 1 line. If a big city phone number is an advantage, no extra cost. Business services with up to 100 numbers for reasonable prices.

I know a consultant lives in a very small mountain berg. She adapts high powered business programs, to be used for specialty users, and earns well over $100K per year averaging 30 hr. weeks. Satellite internet and phone, plus skype. Her phone number is big city business district.

When you live in small prosperous rural areas, you learn how a lot of people earn a living anyone would be proud of, and the cost of lving is so much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living