Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In my rural area 10gbs is a joke. That’s not high speed. Verizon offers up to 60 at their newer towers. I have 25 at my home. The 150 gps offered by our provider is a waste of money as we are not gamers.

Like I said not all rural areas are the same. Eastern CA and many rural areas in the west are doing just fine

10Gbps is NOT high speed??

I believe you mean 25Mbps at your home.

I have 100 Mbps fiber at my home. I can upgrade to 1Gbs at my home.

The business connections in my community are at 10 Gbps. That is what you need to run a data intensive business today.

ps...it was a small town 20 years ago, when the county put in fiber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 06:36 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So don’t even try to save these areas? Let them just die? Why? If you were a mayor, a governor, you’d just tell al your constituents it’s not worth saving, last one to leave turn out the lights? On entire counties?
If times are that tough in the areas your so concerned with, it must be apparent the local politicians arn't worth a hoot... I'd pack my bag if I was hungry.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
I think the people in these poverty stricken areas might disagree that all is fine. The entirety of Colorado is not an economically depressed rural area.i don’t know that any area of Colorado fits that description. again people are not really paying attention to what the article is about. I think the coal mining towns of WV would welcome jobs regardless of the party affiliation of who brings them. To speak otherwise is frankly betraying the fact you have not lived in real poverty.
Have you?

Old 12-26-2018, 09:26 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
... 10 Gbps. That is what you need to run a data intensive business today.
Is that what you think is required for a rural area to exist?

In this state, over 92% of it is forest. But the mills have all shut down. It is cheaper to buy lumber imported from Canada.

Most of my neighbors are retirees or parents raising families, their children grow up fishing, hunting and playing in the woods.

The fastest data speed the local ISP can provide is 2Mbps. Our TVs can get one channel OTA.

This may not be a coal mining town, but it is rural. And there are no high wage jobs.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:47 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Have you?
No, I have not. I work with people who do on a daily basis. And I can guarantee you that they do not care what the party affiliation is of the people who can bring back jobs. I maintain that anyone who has the luxury to care about the political affiliation of those who come in to help, is not a person who is truly in need of help. A person who has the luxury of saying “we’re fine here as long as the leftists stay out” is not a person who is in an area of desperate poverty nor in touch with the affects of that poverty on people’s lives.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
If times are that tough in the areas your so concerned with, it must be apparent the local politicians arn't worth a hoot... I'd pack my bag if I was hungry.
Again, you’re looking at it with a micro view, when it’s really a macro view that is needed. This is not about individual people it is about entire regional economies. I’m also not sure you can put all the blame on local politicians. It was not local politicians that caused Dupont and to leave this area decades ago it was simply a changing world and a changing economy. It is not local politicians who close the coal mines, it was a changing world and a changing economy. I’m not sure local politician could really do anything about attracting new industry to dead and dying areas. Many of them did bid for the new Amazon headquarters, only to lose to metro hubs.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,704 times
Quote:
Again, you’re looking at it with a micro view, when it’s really a macro view that is needed. This is not about individual people it is about entire regional economies. I’m also not sure you can put all the blame on local politicians. It was not local politicians that caused Dupont and to leave this area decades ago it was simply a changing world and a changing economy. It is not local politicians who close the coal mines, it was a changing world and a changing economy. I’m not sure local politician could really do anything about attracting new industry to dead and dying areas. Many of them did bid for the new Amazon headquarters, only to lose to metro hubs.
If people live in an area that depend on local industry for survival, and the politicians can’t entice those businesses to stay, sorry, people better start packing, typical of yesteryear when folks migrated from the south to up North build my Daddy’s.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:52 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, I don't see why this point is so hard to discuss.

No one is saying convert rural areas in urban cities. If your area is fine, the discussion isn't about your area. If your rural area has enough jobs, the discussion isn't about your area. If you're retired, your needs are different and of course you don't need a job.

So no one here on CD lives in a rural area that has problems? Is this a pride thing? Rural folks can't admit they need help?
I do, but there is no pride thing. Providing certain amenities may or may not help economically struggling places. The drug and alcohol abuse exists aplenty in urban and suburban areas, too. It just isn’t as visible in places where it is shameful to admit it (“pride”), such as in tony suburbs and neighborhoods.

People have to be willing to adapt to changing situations, regardless where they live. There is no long-term magic to this.

Last edited by pikabike; 12-27-2018 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-27-2018, 11:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
No, I have not. I work with people who do on a daily basis. And I can guarantee you that they do not care what the party affiliation is of the people who can bring back jobs. I maintain that anyone who has the luxury to care about the political affiliation of those who come in to help, is not a person who is truly in need of help. A person who has the luxury of saying “we’re fine here as long as the leftists stay out” is not a person who is in an area of desperate poverty nor in touch with the affects of that poverty on people’s lives.
People better care about politics—that's how we separate friends from enemies.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:44 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, I don't see why this point is so hard to discuss.

No one is saying convert rural areas in urban cities. If your area is fine, the discussion isn't about your area. If your rural area has enough jobs, the discussion isn't about your area. If you're retired, your needs are different and of course you don't need a job.

So no one here on CD lives in a rural area that has problems? Is this a pride thing? Rural folks can't admit they need help?
I have seen it discussed a lot in our local papers, 'leaders' in many nearby towns WANT to grow their towns to convert them to urban. They think that by doubling or tripling their town population the tax revenue generated would be enough money to fix all their problems.

My state is not in the rust-belt. It is not a coal-mining town. For over a century this area had a strong timber industry, but now all our mills have shutdown. The Canadian timber industry is subsidized which makes their lumber cheaper than our lumber. I live in forest, but I can not buy local lumber. It simply does not exist.

Wages are low and jobs have been scarce, for 20 years now.

But to say that we 'need help', I am not sure we do.

Young adults [if they are smart] leave this state to seek their fortunes in the cities.

Retirees [like me] migrate here because the COL is low. If wages went much higher, I would not be able to support myself here.

That does NOT mean I 'need' any help. I am fine.

Most people here are fine, or else why did they move here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living