Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 04:17 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,313,073 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e=sectionfront

"Rural America is getting old. The median age is 43, seven years older than city dwellers. Its productivity, defined as output per worker, is lower than urban America’s. Its families have lower incomes. And its share of the population is shrinking: the United States has grown by 75 million people since 1990, but this has mostly occurred in cities and suburbs. Rural areas have lost some 3 million people. Since the 1990s, problems such as crime and opioid abuse, once associated with urban areas, are increasingly rural phenomena.

Rural communities once captured a greater share of the nation’s prosperity. Jobs and wages in small town America played catch-up with big cities until the mid 1980s. During the economic recovery of 1992 to 1996, 135,000 new businesses were started in small counties, a third of the nation’s total. Employment in small counties shot up by 2.5 million, or 16 percent, twice the pace experienced in counties with million-plus populations.

These days, economic growth bypasses rural economies. In the first four years of the recovery after the 2008 recession, counties with fewer than 100,000 people lost 17,500 businesses, according to the Economic Innovation Group. By contrast, counties with more than 1 million residents added, altogether, 99,000 firms. By 2017, the largest metropolitan areas had almost 10 percent more jobs than they did at the start of the financial crisis. Rural areas still had fewer."

There is no easy answer to the rural dilemma of a declining local economy.

One good idea is to develop alternative energy in those places. I know of a family living in rural Kansas who has a 23 year old son trained as a windmill technician and he thoroughly enjoys his $60K per year job that includes a new F-150 that he uses to go throughout the county maintaining wind machinery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 04:23 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
The last lace on earth where rural Americans should look for guidance is the New York Times.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:25 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The last lace on earth where rural Americans should look for guidance is the New York Times.
Of course the NYT does not like rural America because much of it is 'conservative'. It doesn't fit their mold. If we all became windmill repairmen they would hold us accountable for every dead bird. Heavy equipment and truck driving are decent paying jobs that have kept food on the tables and the F-150 in the garages of many rural Americans (it that is what they wanted). But I do not like the OP stereotyping rural America; many would be happy if they never had a F-150 (I'm happy with my Silverado 2500HD)!

Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Gads! People don’t live in rural areas to get rich. The materialistic lifestyle of urban areas is downright sinful. Like bad traffic, unsafe neighborhoods, being a nobody? Then the urban life for you!
And so what if our average age is 43? This is not 1900 when life expetency was 47. I’m proud to be a hick with a college degree. I love running into people I know, breathing fresh air. And walking in the woods. OK, I’ll admit I dislike raking pine needles, but at least I’m not moving my lawn every week.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Some of us are drawn to low Cost-of-Living areas. The low crime and slower pace is nice, nearly everyone has a garden, fishes and hunts.

I commonly see town debates where people 'want' growth, so these small towns can be just like NYC. Whenever I see someone arguing about how to create this growth, I have to ask why do you want growth?

If you want to live in a high cost / high crime city, then move to one.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:26 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
I have never lived in a town over 10,000. Suits me fine. I've supported 2 families (ex took one. lol) on between $40-45K/year. Was tight, but we have all we need and then some. Not stressed out about everything (except my wife's health) and we're happy. If I want to go to a city, I can drive about 25 miles, then leave when I get tired of it.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course the NYT does not like rural America because much of it is 'conservative'. It doesn't fit their mold. If we all became windmill repairmen they would hold us accountable for every dead bird. Heavy equipment and truck driving are decent paying jobs that have kept food on the tables and the F-150 in the garages of many rural Americans (it that is what they wanted). But I do not like the OP stereotyping rural America; many would be happy if they never had a F-150 (I'm happy with my Silverado 2500HD)!
Huh? The NYT was actually trying to address the issues facing rural America. There was no mention of "not liking it."

Old 12-16-2018, 01:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Whether your small town is growing or decreasing in value, depends on what part of the country you live in.

Montana has just 1,000,000 people in the 4th largest state by size. Largest city/town is only 110,323 people. Other towns are far less than this. Our small town is only 2,000 people with another 2,000+ in subdivisions around the city.

Population growth in our town increases every year, as it does in other Montana cities.

Median salary higher than Billings, and state average.

Cost of living below national average, and far above many parts of the country. When using a calculator to compare the amount locally against other cities, finds that after adjusting for cost of living in our town, vs. high priced places in the nation, and our salaries here, actually give a better living standard than they would in those high cost of living areas of the country.

Very low unemployment rate. McDonald's, as an example is constantly looking for more employees to fill their needs. $14 to adults, and $12 to teen age part time. I someone wants a job there, walk in and walk out with a job. You ask for an application they advertise openings on the big reader board outside. The first thing they do, is the manager will show you around the restaurant and show you what your duties would be. If you think you want to try, they have you fill out an application, set the date for all day training, and issue you your uniform. As soon as you finish the training day, you are placed on the schedule usually getting your schedule set, and starting within 2 days.

Real Estate did not take the huge price drop in many areas of the country when their inflated home prices imploded. The county keeps track of the home values and whether they trend up, etc. We have been seeing a 10% to 12% increases in value. Our home is a 3,700 sq. ft. 4 level (not four story) without a basement. A luxury home set on 5 acres with our property across the street from the best part of the town. Over 25 feet of soaring window wall in living room. A very contemporary style. 1 acre landscaped with large broad leaf trees. Barn with 2 stables. Value about $500,000 here. Would be several million where we used to live in the western suburbs of San Jose California (Silicon Valley). I just paid our property tax bill for next year. A small discount for being senior citizens, and the entire bill was only $1,612 for the year.

Crime rates are far less than 25% of national average, except for people getting into a fight, but here two people get into a fight, they charge both of then for fighting, where a lot of places they just break up the fight and let them go.

Some areas of the country, have small towns with problems, but many others are like our small town, are filled with happy residents, growing, and very prosperous.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:33 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
"...its share of the population is shrinking: the United States has grown by 75 million people since 1990, but this has mostly occurred in cities and suburbs. Rural areas have lost some 3 million people."

where i live, cities have annexed previously classified rural land.
so...in 28 years, the rural population is shrinking since the cities took it.
the people might still be there...but they are living in the city now.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
How many people in truly rural areas a century ago commuted back and forth to a job? Force an urban economic model on a rural area and yes the rural area fails. Instead of thinking "jobs" think independence and self-reliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living