Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 07:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Speaking for myself, born then raised a city boy, married, family, then to the burbs, once the nest was empty, off to rural part of Florida, after awhile couldn't take H/H, moved further North to rural Appalachia, thankfully the people accepted me, they are the salt of the earth.

Through my journey, I've come to realize rural life is where it's at, if you can afford it.
Sure there are run down shacks for bargain prices, in my neck of the woods, a decent house with a large tract of land will cost you, more so with a mountain/water view.
Unless you have chronic diseases or need good urgent care, I guess it's all roses to retire to rural america where you can buy twice the house and 4 times the land at half the price! But by and large, what do retired people do for the economy? They spend their money, but they aren't providing any economic development. They might even raise prosperity statistics that are reported, but that only misleads.

And once those retired folks get sick enough, they'll move back to their urban areas where healthcare and their kids are closeby.

So it's great to be retired in the country and praise the vistas but there are people who are trying to raise families there and have bigger needs for infrastructure and THOSE needs aren't being met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 07:59 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Unless you have chronic diseases or need good urgent care, I guess it's all roses to retire to rural america where you can buy twice the house and 4 times the land at half the price! But by and large, what do retired people do for the economy? They spend their money, but they aren't providing any economic development.
You are correct to say "twice the house and 4 times the land at half the price" and also you could add 1/10 the property taxes.

I feel that I am feeding the local economy. I bring my federal pension into this area, where it is spent through local business and small farmers.

Without my pension being spent here, these locals would be a bit poorer.

My presence is stimulating the local economy.

Quote:
... And once those retired folks get sick enough, they'll move back to their urban areas where healthcare and their kids are closeby.

So it's great to be retired in the country and praise the vistas but there are people who are trying to raise families there and have bigger needs for infrastructure and THOSE needs aren't being met.
We see a lot of elderly living around us, for the most part, these people want to age-in-place. They only leave when their children come to visit and decide to have them committed to a nursing home to die. But that would still happen even if they were living in a city instead.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Unless you have chronic diseases or need good urgent care, I guess it's all roses to retire to rural america where you can buy twice the house and 4 times the land at half the price! But by and large, what do retired people do for the economy? They spend their money, but they aren't providing any economic development. They might even raise prosperity statistics that are reported, but that only misleads.

And once those retired folks get sick enough, they'll move back to their urban areas where healthcare and their kids are closeby.

See the whole thing about rural is that it isnt urban. If you need more "infrastructure" then you move to an urban area.

Honestly, in my rural area we are seeing too much infrastructure. Homes, gated communities, apartments, condos going up everywhere and with it more roads, more traffic, more shopping centers, more restaurants, more people. Small towns and cities are growing and spreading.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Ive actually never understood why people want to live in urban areas, the crime, traffic, and noise are enough to make you crazy. Besides, all the attactions of the big city, major league sports, museums, zoos, restaurants, etc, are just an automobile ride away.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:48 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:

People often forget this, but rural areas can sometimes actually be MORE expensive because of the lack of economies of scale and little to no competition.

I used to live in Indianapolis. We had numerous grocery stores, from discount to mainline to upscale, within a short drive of my residence. I also worked in rural southwest Virginia. One grocery store within half an hour. Guess which place had cheaper prices and better selection?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
People often forget this, but rural areas can sometimes actually be MORE expensive because of the lack of economies of scale and little to no competition.

I used to live in Indianapolis. We had numerous grocery stores, from discount to mainline to upscale, within a short drive of my residence. I also worked in rural southwest Virginia. One grocery store within half an hour. Guess which place had cheaper prices and better selection?
Of course thats simple economics. You have this same situation in metro areas they call food deserts where folks only choice is more expensive bodegas.

I have found that often rural residents grow a garden and preserve food, often raise a cow to slaughter/chickens for meat and eggs and hunt. As well if one is an hour away from a larger town with multiple groceries they generally make a trip every couple weeks and stock up.
My guess is any extra paid for food is made up for in lower property taxes, rental prices, registration fees, general cost of living.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
You all are missing the point. This is not a city living vs rural living debate. It's about the new issues facing rural areas.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:13 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Everyone I know who wants to work has a job, most have at least a bachelors and with a few exceptions dont use drugs.
What exactly do you think those living in rural America need help with?
Anecdote does not equal evidence.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:37 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Pay no attention to the sociologists. Sociology is a hobby. Pay attention to demography. Those are real numbers and they do reflect people's choices. They do not reflect the reasons for people's choices.

"And once those retired folks get sick enough, they'll move back to their urban areas where healthcare and their kids are close by."

Not so. Most people in very rural America choose to die at home. Hospice is a valuable service. My wife was the 273rd patient of her hospice caretaker. She understands that everybody dies and it is a normal part of your life. My wife died at sunrise one Sunday morning, looking out a picture window at her beloved woods. Neither of us could have ever lived on the 38th floor of a co-op apartment. We would not even be comfortable visiting such a place.

There are people who love living that way. They willingly make such choices.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:

Depends on your perspective / and expectations.

Economic Development research shows that Senior residents bring the equivalent of 4-7 factory / skilled jobs to community, BECAUSE they bring MONEY and the need for services, but NOT the need for Schools / buses / daycare programs....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5738994/
https://bipartisanpolicy.org/aging-i...rural-america/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living