Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 11:41 AM

50,821 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My drug prescriptions are sent to me from a mail-order pharmacy, so I do not see any problem with access to drugs.

My PCP office is within 20 minutes from my house, the big regional hospital is about 20 minutes in another direction. My Dw and I have both recently gone through some surgeries. I am happy with my access to healthcare.

I think that most of my neighbors are people who migrated here when they were near retirement age, they selected to be here. When they realized that in their retirements they would no longer be able to support themselves in their previous cities.
I believe she meant drug addiction, which is rampant in many of these poor and dying rural communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I believe she meant drug addiction, which is rampant in many of these poor and dying rural communities.
It has been my perception that drug addiction is rampant in our culture, and it exists everywhere to some degree.

I was a lot more aware of it, in the last two cities that I lived in, more so than where I live today.

There are drug busts in the news, but reading about it as a news story makes it feel kind of remote.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
It has been my perception that drug addiction is rampant in our culture, and it exists everywhere to some degree.

I was a lot more aware of it, in the last two cities that I lived in, more so than where I live today.

There are drug busts in the news, but reading about it as a news story makes it feel kind of remote.
I am nor sure what you are arguing here. This is about the economies of certain areas in general, not whether they are nice places to live. We are not talking about idyllic rural communities full of retirees, nor are we measuring rural living against city living. The topic is economically depressed rural areas such as Appalachia, and the county I mentioned in NJ, and other rural towns that used to have a large supporting industry the town grew up around, such as Dupont in Salem County NJ, the glass factories and the farms that dominated Cumberland County, NJ, the coal mines that supported rural West Virginia, etc. etc around the country, that packed up and left decades ago, leaving economic devastation and poverty in their wake. In these areas, drug addiction and alcoholism are rampant. It is these areas that the article references that need "saving".

The fact that someone with no need of a job is able to buy a beautiful home dirt cheap and love living there does not change the fact that people who DO need jobs are suffering in these communities. When we bring up lack of infrastructure, lack of health care, etc it is in the context of attracting jobs to the people who DO need them, yet you make it about yourself only. Again, I'm really unsure of what it is you are arguing.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:01 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am nor sure what you are arguing here. This is about the economies of certain areas in general, not whether they are nice places to live. We are not talking about idyllic rural communities full of retirees, nor are we measuring rural living against city living. The topic is economically depressed rural areas such as Appalachia, and the county I mentioned in NJ, and other rural towns that used to have a large supporting industry the town grew up around, such as Dupont in Salem County NJ, the glass factories and the farms that dominated Cumberland County, NJ, the coal mines that supported rural West Virginia, etc. etc around the country, that packed up and left decades ago, leaving economic devastation and poverty in their wake. In these areas, drug addiction and alcoholism are rampant. It is these areas that the article references that need "saving".

The fact that someone with no need of a job is able to buy a beautiful home dirt cheap and love living there does not change the fact that people who DO need jobs are suffering in these communities. When we bring up lack of infrastructure, lack of health care, etc it is in the context of attracting jobs to the people who DO need them, yet you make it about yourself only. Again, I'm really unsure of what it is you are arguing.

I think humans do what they have to do; if one is stuck in a drug infested, mediocre or no employment poverty stricken environment, they pack their bag, head to a land of opportunity, do a roommate situation, sleep in the pickup, whatever it takes, pick up a job, flip burgers, shovel sand, landscape, again whatever, come payday, buy a bottle, an 8-Ball, or send a few bucks back home....only if they want to.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
The only thing we have to fear is an invasion of leftist city slickers. It happened in Colorado which is the reason that I now live in Wyoming. Colorado was not the poster child for illegal drugs before this invasion.

That state paid a terrible price for"prosperity."

Old 12-26-2018, 05:24 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
How fast do you need your internet to be?

My Dw and I can each watch shows on our laptops using my phone company 'dsl' at 2 Mbps..........
The internet is NOT about Netflix!!

It is about downloading large data files, such as x-rays, remote surgery machines, large databases information.

Nobody cares about Netflix. That is entertainment. It is about business access to high speed internet. For a professional services business that is at 10Gbps.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
The internet is NOT about Netflix!!

It is about downloading large data files, such as x-rays, remote surgery machines, large databases information.

Nobody cares about Netflix. That is entertainment. It is about business access to high speed internet. For a professional services business that is at 10Gbps.
In my rural area 10gbs is a joke. That’s not high speed. Verizon offers up to 60 at their newer towers. I have 25 at my home. The 150 gps offered by our provider is a waste of money as we are not gamers.

Like I said not all rural areas are the same. Eastern CA and many rural areas in the west are doing just fine

Old 12-26-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
I think humans do what they have to do; if one is stuck in a drug infested, mediocre or no employment poverty stricken environment, they pack their bag, head to a land of opportunity, do a roommate situation, sleep in the pickup, whatever it takes, pick up a job, flip burgers, shovel sand, landscape, again whatever, come payday, buy a bottle, an 8-Ball, or send a few bucks back home....only if they want to.
So don’t even try to save these areas? Let them just die? Why? If you were a mayor, a governor, you’d just tell al your constituents it’s not worth saving, last one to leave turn out the lights? On entire counties?

Old 12-26-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
In my rural area 10gbs is a joke. That’s not high speed. Verizon offers up to 60 at their newer towers. I have 25 at my home. The 150 gps offered by our provider is a waste of money as we are not gamers.

Like I said not all rural areas are the same. Eastern CA and many rural areas in the west are doing just fine
Throughout this bread it’s been acknowledged multiple times this is not about all rural areas, but the economically depressed ones. It’s so obvious it shouldn’t need to be stated at all, and I don’t think a single poster has tried to lump them all together.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The only thing we have to fear is an invasion of leftist city slickers. It happened in Colorado which is the reason that I now live in Wyoming. Colorado was not the poster child for illegal drugs before this invasion.

That state paid a terrible price for"prosperity."
I think the people in these poverty stricken areas might disagree that all is fine. The entirety of Colorado is not an economically depressed rural area.i don’t know that any area of Colorado fits that description. again people are not really paying attention to what the article is about. I think the coal mining towns of WV would welcome jobs regardless of the party affiliation of who brings them. To speak otherwise is frankly betraying the fact you have not lived in real poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living