Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:25 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Side note: A friend moved to a town where their postmaster set a policy that NO mail gets delivered to houses. Everybody has to get a PO box. Nobody knows if this is a legitimate edict.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Rural-Fr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 07:39 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
First step would be a kind note to the Poastmaster, then one to my Senator, I'll bet that issue will be resolved fast
There is nothing here to get resolved. There are many small towns in rural areas that have no home delivery of mail. All residents are provided with a P.O. Box at the post office. I would venture a guess that there are very few of such residents who complain about the arrangement. The alternative is losing their local post office and having their mail delivered from a post office 10 miles away. Chances are if that were to happen, it would be a “cluster” box out in the open without any way to buy stamps or mail packages. Most of them enjoy the chance to visit with neighbors they might meet at the post office.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:39 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
First step would be a kind note to the Poastmaster, then one to my Senator, I'll bet that issue will be resolved fast
I myself would not care, since we prefer having a PO box anyway. We do not have mail sent to a mailbox, and what gets in there is a red flag to us as being attempted fraud or junk mail.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
There is nothing here to get resolved. There are many small towns in rural areas that have no home delivery of mail. All residents are provided with a P.O. Box at the post office. I would venture a guess that there are very few of such residents who complain about the arrangement. The alternative is losing their local post office and having their mail delivered from a post office 10 miles away. Chances are if that were to happen, it would be a “cluster” box out in the open without any way to buy stamps or mail packages. Most of them enjoy the chance to visit with neighbors they might meet at the post office.
Check out my situation in post 8, My town has a pop. Of a tad over 800 people, the PO is around 10 miles from me. mail, as well as other carriers come through daily with no complaints.
Rest assure, my neighbors along with me would be making calls if the mail stopped coming.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:15 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Yep. I've lived in little towns with no house delivery by any means for decades. The PO mailboxes are rent-free. Once a year you have to fill out a form declaring the need for a free box still exists. The PO lobby on Saturdays is THE place to catch up on town gossip, reconnect with neighbors, hear all the news. Chances are if you happen to get a misdirected piece of mail you'll see the correct addressee there while you are standing in line waiting for a package. Christmas parties happen at the PO too; we're all there mailing presents to far away destinations anyway. The scent of baked goods wafts overhead. Some distracted person might start whistling a carol without realizing it.

Trust me...no one knows better how to NOT receive deliveries than folks in rural Alaska. It is an entirely different realm. If you are lucky maybe all you have to do is trot down to an airport freight desk to pick the package up. Some vendors consider delivering anything to us harder than sending it to Mars (and they'll charge you as much). If a vendor cheerfully guarantees they can ship something to me overnight I start giggling helplessly into the phone. When I listen to people from the south 48 complain about deliveries or mail I have to laugh...they are rank amateurs

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-29-2019 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 12:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
My rural beef with UPS and FedEx (and USPS) is the significant wear on road / driveway surfaces due to Amazon Prime!!! (one of my tenants ordered a $0.29 pack of baking soda... and does similar everyday. )

You get 20,000# trucks hammering your driveways daily at fast speed... very costly for landowners ($12000 for me last yr on "Amazon Prime 'driveways' )

Driveway was designed for a moving truck every 10 - 20 yrs, not a racetrack for delivery trucks.

Big BEEF.. efficiency (i have had a 50 mpg car since 1976, running on waste cooking oil.)

Tho a CDL driver... I do not like redoing my $10,000 driveways for $0.29 Baking Soda.

I drove (contract) for Fed Ex and had a daily 'medical' delivery 17 miles up a dead-end road... I got $2 for that trip.
Stuck in the snow or mud?... Sorry Charlie... driver responsibility

Old 03-30-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My rural beef with UPS and FedEx (and USPS) is the significant wear on road / driveway surfaces due to Amazon Prime!!! (one of my tenants ordered a $0.29 pack of baking soda... and does similar everyday. )

You get 20,000# trucks hammering your driveways daily at fast speed... very costly for landowners ($12000 for me last yr on "Amazon Prime 'driveways' )

Driveway was designed for a moving truck every 10 - 20 yrs, not a racetrack for delivery trucks.

Big BEEF.. efficiency (i have had a 50 mpg car since 1976, running on waste cooking oil.)

Tho a CDL driver... I do not like redoing my $10,000 driveways for $0.29 Baking Soda.

I drove (contract) for Fed Ex and had a daily 'medical' delivery 17 miles up a dead-end road... I got $2 for that trip.
Stuck in the snow or mud?... Sorry Charlie... driver responsibility
I feel your pain; my gravel driveway is 1/2 mile long and steep, we're at the end of the run, which means empty truck and deliveries come to us sometimes early evening, I had to stop deliveries from coming up because of skidding ,and tearing up the gravel. Some mail and packages are delivered to my neighbor at the foot of my dw, other, more personal mail goes to my PO.

Just think, if there was no mail/ package delivery, and you were a working person, and the PO was closed when you got out of work, you would have to wait sometimes the following week to pick up your mail...
No thanks!

Old 03-30-2019, 12:47 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
We live very rural & have deliveries several times a week. I think you have fewer problems with packages, if you get regular deliveries. When we first moved here many years ago, I ordered up a multitude of small items before ordering anything important...just to get them all acquainted with our name & location.

Where we live only FedEx ground seems have revolving door on drivers, the others stay the same for years. Our mail lady gives a call to see if we're home when we have a package & brings it all the way in to our house.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,073,668 times
Our mail box is way up the hill.
I don’t live there full time yet but am wondering what to do.
We could ask to post office to have our mail and such forwarded to the post office.
I’m sure we could do that but I am not sure if this is the best thing.
It’s gotta be at least 8 miles or so to the post office.w
We buy numerous things on line and the last thing we want is to have some expensive stuff or sensitive businesses paperwork way up there or have to drive that far.
I have yet to figure this out yet.
Maybe check our P.O. box every several days.
It would be really cool if I could check on my mail or package delivery on line or something like that but I think that would be dreaming the unreasonable dream.
Anybody else have this situation?
Thank you.
Andy.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Our mail box is way up the hill.
I don’t live there full time yet but am wondering what to do.
We could ask to post office to have our mail and such forwarded to the post office.
I’m sure we could do that but I am not sure if this is the best thing.
It’s gotta be at least 8 miles or so to the post office.w
We buy numerous things on line and the last thing we want is to have some expensive stuff or sensitive businesses paperwork way up there or have to drive that far.
I have yet to figure this out yet.
Maybe check our P.O. box every several days.
It would be really cool if I could check on my mail or package delivery on line or something like that but I think that would be dreaming the unreasonable dream.
Anybody else have this situation?
Thank you.
Andy.
My situation is the same as yours; we check on our PO Box every few days, and packages along some mail gets delivered to our neighbor, the mail carrier knows our name and drops mail off at the neighbor's box.
Lots of companies will not deliver to a PO Box, especially ammunition deliveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living