Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 03:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
UPS and FedEx do deliver to rural addresses.
Nope. They absolutely do not - in many cases.

Since January 2019 they deliver directly to the post office. The PO then delivers the final leg of the package's journey directly to mailboxes. Those of us who live rurally and have PO Boxes have to go to the post office to pick up our packages, even though the packages were sent by the vendor via UPS or FedEx.

According to what I have learned over the past year, this is because it is cheaper for UPS/Fedex to pay postage than to pay for drivers and trucks that deliver directly to homes.

There are now two different kinds of UPS deliveries, which only the VENDOR can choose: SMARTPOST, which is as described above, and MYCHOICE, in which the vendor pays UPS more money for direct home delivery.

My work around now with vendors is to call and make orders so that they can force the PO # address into address lines when the on-line ordering system does not allow PO boxes in the line.

Hopefully in the future Vendors will make the choice of MYCHOICE delivery available on their on-line forms so that the customers who want it can pay for this, and that if this is not chosen the on-line forms allow PO addresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 04:20 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Nope. They absolutely do not - in many cases.

Since January 2019 they deliver directly to the post office. The PO then delivers the final leg of the package's journey directly to mailboxes. Those of us who live rurally and have PO Boxes have to go to the post office to pick up our packages, even though the packages were sent by the vendor via UPS or FedEx.

According to what I have learned over the past year, this is because it is cheaper for UPS/Fedex to pay postage than to pay for drivers and trucks that deliver directly to homes.

There are now two different kinds of UPS deliveries, which only the VENDOR can choose: SMARTPOST, which is as described above, and MYCHOICE, in which the vendor pays UPS more money for direct home delivery.

My work around now with vendors is to call and make orders so that they can force the PO # address into address lines when the on-line ordering system does not allow PO boxes in the line.

Hopefully in the future Vendors will make the choice of MYCHOICE delivery available on their on-line forms so that the customers who want it can pay for this, and that if this is not chosen the on-line forms allow PO addresses.
You have no idea what you are talking about. FedEx and UPS do not deliver to P.O.Boxes. Only certain premium services they provide deliver to P.O.Boxes.

Quote:
Can I ship to a P.O. box?
The only way to deliver to domestic P.O. boxes is to select FedEx SmartPost, which uses the USPS system in the final leg of delivery.
It’s possible to ship to P.O. boxes in Puerto Rico and some international destinations via FedEx Express. In these cases, you’ll be required to provide a valid telephone, fax or telex number.
U.S. and International Shipping FAQs _ FedEx

Quote:
Can I use UPS to ship to a P.O. Box?

UPS will only accept shipments to a valid street address. We do not deliver to P.O. Boxes. If a shipper should use a P.O. Box address, the recipient´s telephone number must be included on the label. Your package that is addressed to a P.O. Box may be delayed, will not be covered by any UPS Service Guarantee, and will require an address correction charge. Additionally, Army Post Office (APO) and Fleet Post Office (FPO) addresses are not accepted.
Can I use UPS to ship to a P.O. Box__ UPS - United States

Old 01-11-2020, 05:53 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
YOU do not have a clue in the world about this. None at all. Ignorance. You probably don't live rurally, and you certainly don't have a PO Box.

UPS delivery is DEFAULT SMARTPOST. This means the package gets delivered by UPS and FedEx TO THE LOCAL POST OFFICE of the recipient, NOT TO THE HOME unless "MyChoice" has been paid for by the VENDOR.

Those of us who live rurally with rural mailboxes then get the package delivered by the post office (not UPS/FedE
x) to our homes.

Those of us who live rurally with PO Boxes have to drive to the POST OFFICE (NOT UPS/FedEx) and pick the package up there.

For a while my local post office was charging me a change of address postage due fee when packages originating with UPS only had the street address on them and not the PO Box. The problem, of course, is the UPS does not deliver to PO BOXes (as you said) so the vendors didn't allow PO Box #s on the on-line order form. That is why I call and make orders now instead of using on-line order forms.

The default Smartpost system is the problem.

Attempt not to be a nasty troll, dear.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:11 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. FedEx and UPS do not deliver to P.O.Boxes. Only certain premium services they provide deliver to P.O.Boxes.

Regardless of what you are quoting, if you live rurally, USPS delivers the majority of the FedEx and UPS packages. They don't deliver to PO boxes, but they do deliver to the post office for the USPS to deliver. I would have never have known this either, but after living in the mountains for 3 years and in our new rural area for a year, I've found out it's true.

They all play the same games, though. They've learned that if they want to stop their route early, they just put in that packages are undeliverable due to the business being closed (our personal home, no business here, but that was the excuse), inaccessible driveway (we were here and have a flat, paved driveway) or roads impassable (roads were clear, no reason for non delivery). This wasn't an issue 10 years ago, now it is and they are allowed to get away with it. No accountability at all.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:04 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
If it's anything larger than an envelope they don't even attempt to deliver it to me anymore.
It used to be hit or miss, but over the past year it just got to the point where they don't even put it in the truck anymore, They just leave the slip to come pick it up.

I've had issues with ups and fedex not delivering because some of the drivers are afraid to come down my road or down my driveway. We do have a semi regular guy who is great and he told me some of the guys are just flat out scared to go off the beaten path or down dirt roads/driveways. Not just because of the boogeyman but fear of getting stuck or not being able to turn around or whatever, and just being lazy and don't feel like navigating all the way down a dirt road.

Whatever. I'm used to it. It was annoying at first but the mail game just becomes a normal part of life after a while.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
No changes with UPS or Fedex delivery in 2020 to our place in very very rural Montana. We get several packages a week delivered M-F to the ranch house porch.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:08 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,126 times
Quote:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Premium Service? FedEx SmartPost is the opposite of a premium service. It's a lower tier service than every other FedEx delivery method (including ground). That's why FedEx SmartPost is cheaper than ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living