Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:51 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When you get to rural areas and see dead tractors or appliances or other like items think about why they're there. In many cases there's nowhere to take them. Junkyards? They've been disappearing for a couple decades. Landfills? Maybe, but many areas of the country are hours away from them.

Plus, a lot of people in rural areas have grown up and been taught that you just might find a use for that thing.

And no, it's not "hoarding".
LOL One of the lots I originally looked at sounded so right. So after reading the description I pulled the address out on Google Earth. Then I did a look around. The property was so far back the Google car hadn't gotten there yet, but from above you could see an entire couple of acres across the street were being used as a junk lot for dead cars, trucks, buses, RVs, you name it.

I passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 03:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Talk about bad neighbors. Last year our next door neighbor got drunk and walked around completely naked. He came about 10 feet from our window while we watched TV, scared us. Stumbled down to our lawn, got up and kept walking. Eventually he collapsed near a tree and got arrested. Hasn't done it since, but he lets his dog come on our property to poop. I think him and his dad just sit around and drink everyday, occasionally come out to mow the grass when it gets really long.

Another neighbor further down the road has let his property turn into a salvage yard for cars. It's a complete mud pit, with cars all over. Rumor is they cook meth there, but not sure how true that is. There was a meth house a few houses from that, the owners were arrested and children taken away, it was in the newspaper. Overall the neighborhood looks normal, but when you live in it, you notice things.
This is why I will always put up with the woes of an HOA. I could not live in a place like that, would rather be in a tent in the woods than surrounded by neighbors with old cars and other debris all over their property.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
LOL... Very good titles here Taz... It'll be hard to choose

Here's a Chorus, suggested tempo a slow Country two step or Waltz.

"Where is the Country....they sing about in songs...
Somebody tell me...where it all went wrong...
The only Rocky Mountain High I know...is the smell of pot next doooor...
The neighbor's such a whacked out job...I keep a pistol in my drawwwer..."
Oh my gosh, that is too funny! I can just see them doing the two step to your song. I sympathize with the whacked out neighbors, they’re drawn to rural places like flies on sh*t. Seriously, think about a career in Nashville.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
When you get to rural areas and see dead tractors or appliances or other like items think about why they're there. In many cases there's nowhere to take them. Junkyards? They've been disappearing for a couple decades. Landfills? Maybe, but many areas of the country are hours away from them.

Plus, a lot of people in rural areas have grown up and been taught that you just might find a use for that thing.

And no, it's not "hoarding".
Nope, don’t buy into that argument for a minute. When you have trash, big or small and can’t dispose of it, you call a trash hauler. I found some on Craigslist. When we first moved to the country, there was a decent size load of assorted moving boxes along with some stuff the owner had left. I got a couple of very reasonable bids and a guy came out, loaded it on his trailer and hauled it off. Wish I could mention it to those neighbors who store mattress in their front yards.

The neighbor across the street has assorted cars that don’t run, now he’s into collecting travel trailers that don’t run. Last count he had gotten another one.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:20 PM

45,421 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Nope, don’t buy into that argument for a minute. When you have trash, big or small and can’t dispose of it, you call a trash hauler. I found some on Craigslist. When we first moved to the country, there was a decent size load of assorted moving boxes along with some stuff the owner had left. I got a couple of very reasonable bids and a guy came out, loaded it on his trailer and hauled it off. Wish I could mention it to those neighbors who store mattress in their front yards.

The neighbor across the street has assorted cars that don’t run, now he’s into collecting travel trailers that don’t run. Last count he had gotten another one.
You're obviously a rural pioneer whose mission is to enlighten the unwashed among whom you moved. What did the guy who hauled it for you do with it? It's off your property but where did it go?

Is your neighbor violating any codes? If so, report him. If he's across the "street" you really aren't rural.

Or, you could move.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You're obviously a rural pioneer whose mission is to enlighten the unwashed among whom you moved. What did the guy who hauled it for you do with it? It's off your property but where did it go?

Is your neighbor violating any codes? If so, report him. If he's across the "street" you really aren't rural.

Or, you could move.
He said he hauled it to the landfill. So, again there is no excuse to have mounds of garbage and furniture rotting in your front yard, when it can be hauled for a reasonable price.

Yes, this is a rural property. The road here is a dead end country road, not the suburbs. I’m looking into what I can do as far as code violations. Apparently, his grandson was supposed to buy the place and clean it up. Hasn’t happened.

Yes, a move is in the future. As far as enlightenment of the unwashed, I don’t generally get near enough to know if they bathe on a regular basis. Don’t care either. My beef is with the drugs and filthy front yards. Or just plain old laziness.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Whew.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I also don't understand this. If it's your well, on your property, wouldn't most people just tell the others to dig their own wells, and get on with it?

Asking purely out of curiosity. Forcing you to be custodian of the utility for neighbors seems like an undue burden, and a problem waiting to happen.

Frankly, WORSE than urban living, where you aren't forced to go to your neighbors to be compensated for a resource you are forced to share and pay for upfront.
If it is a shared well approved by the county and deeded as such, you cannot tell the others to dig their own well. Some water districts may not allow them to do that.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 AM

372 posts, read 220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That's been my experience with many bad neighbors. They stay in one place until their debt catches up with them and then they disappear. It's always something to hope for.
When I was a gossoon, we lived in a small town of 5000. New neighbours moved in down the road. Seemed pleasant enough ,a son my age, no trouble. Apparently they started running up debt almost from the first day. After about a year, they announced they were moving.

They told different people a different destination. A week before they were meant to move, they did a midnight flit .They left hundreds of pounds in debts. That would be thousands of dollars today. It's not always the nasty one ones.

I live in a small city, about 20 minutes from the CBD.(outside rush hour, when it's about 35 minutes)

My house is a the base of a cul de sac, .halfway down a hill. At the back, 100 yards at the bottom of the hill ,there is a linear park. It's effectively semi rural.

I've lived here for 28 years. I know the neighbours to my right, they've been there 10 years.We seldom speak. The neighbours on the right have been there 2 years. I say 'Hi' in passing, but don't know their names. From memory, I think I've met one other of the dozen or so families, but forget which one.

The only noise was about 20 years ago, when people at the back, to the side, bought their teenage son a drum kit. I was good neighbour and only complained once; party still going at 2am on a Monday morning, when I had to work .The kids were mildly rude and ignored me. I have never felt a need to call police. I will only do that if I feel threatened.

I think it's dumb to make an enemy of a neighbour if it can be possibly avoided.I think life's far too short to make any enemies which can be avoided.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:36 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
you can pick your friends but you cant pick your neighbours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living