Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 588 times

Advertisements

I have owned / maintained a 3 party shared well on my property for about 7 years now.
The two other homes that share my well also happen to share one water line that splits on their side of the fence.
There is only one shut off valve for both homes. Dumb set up.. I didn’t build it..
Both of my neighbors have behaved awfully / criminally the whole time I’ve owned.
One neighbor’s kids threw rocks at my home and my kids; hitting my daughter and damaging my home. We’ve had to call police about 4 times on them for various damages and nuissances they have caused.
I also had to call the health department due to their shared septic tank overflowing. My kids nearly fell into it. The neighbors were trying to hide the septic effluent with a tarp. GROSS! They finally got it cleaned up.
One of the neighbors ended up moving last year (thank God!).
They left their home in such poor condition that it got condemned and torn down.
That was a great day. I sat outside watching and recording the whole demolition.
One down, one to go.
I hope your new neighbor is going to be better than your last one.. I too would never buy a property ever again with a shared well due to my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 03:37 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
But John Denver didn't write the song; he only sang it. John Sommers (the fiddle player on the track) wrote it.

Thanks for the information.

Now I can curse John Sommers along with John Denver during the 7th-inning stretch whenever I go to a baseball game at Camden Yards.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Neighbors chased me out to the sticks.
Don't like neighbors. And it's funny because even though I have no close neighbors now, I'm still not satisfied. So, we are plotting our next move.
I want, no, I need a minimum of 10 acres.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I think what North Beach Person said, is the way to go.
Have your two neighbors instal their own electric to access the well.
If I had to deal with that nonsense for 8 years I would take this opportunity to change it up.
Money well spent getting a lawyer and figure out how to get those two homes on their own electric. It's REDONKULUS!!!! Lol good luck going forward. If for sure would
not stand for that nonsense.
Yours is a city boy/girl answer that knows nothing about rural wells. You have never been involved with country wells, so there is no need to know about them.

In a shared well situation your solution is not applicable, as there is only 1 pipe in the well, and only 1 pump.

The typical well will have a submersible pump, and it is only possible to have 1 pump in the well. Learn about them.

https://worldwaterreserve.com/potabl...ble-well-pump/

And installing a pump.

https://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/ope...ible-pump.html

The deeds to the homes will define what is to be done, etc. Getting a lawyer to try to make expensive changes as you suggest, is a costly but not practical solution, and all 3 property owners would have to agree, and have to come up with considerable money, or it would never happen. The property deeds would clearly define each owners right to dray water from that pump.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 AM

99 posts, read 70,353 times
A shared well, like many precarious roommate situations, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

As for neighbors in general, I don't see mine very often other than waving to each other if they pass me on the road going the opposite direction. The town that contains my unincorporated community really has no central meeting place where folks could congregate and have occasion to interact. There is one what could only generously described as a connivence store in town, but it's expensive and caters to the folks in the area for cycling. There is a small grocery store 6 miles north of here, but the selection is limited so I tend to do my shopping on the weekends in a larger town to the East. So yeah, it's hard to have much conflict when there is extremely limited interaction.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:24 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
I think it depends on the neighborhood. It only takes one bad neighbor to cause trouble with everyone and when you get a few feuding and trying to drag everyone else in, it can get bad.

I already know how dysfunctional the neighborhood is where I'll be moving to, so I plan to keep to myself and not have any real contact with anyone. Two of them who were feuding with each other when I lived in the area about 15 years ago are still there and probably still feuding. I tried being nice to both of them last time and just ended up on the bad side of both. So far I haven't walked over and told either of them I'm moving back into the neighborhood. I really don't want to be caught in the middle of their fight again.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,897 times
OPs former neighbor sounds like a contender for an episode of Fear Thy Neighbor. I'm glad we don't have to share a well with any of our neighbors, especially the registered sex offender (who used to try to peek in our windows at night).

Old 08-28-2019, 06:02 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Default hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What bill would there be for a shared well? I've seen a few others mention bills for one so curious. Daughter has one and she has no bills for it.
yes, I don't understand why there would be a bill for water usage from a well. We shared a well and the cost of bi-yearly testing, just a few dollars. Never a bill for water. can you explain this?

Old 08-28-2019, 10:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
yes, I don't understand why there would be a bill for water usage from a well. We shared a well and the cost of bi-yearly testing, just a few dollars. Never a bill for water. can you explain this?
The bill is not for the water. The bill is for the electricity to power the pump to supply the water, which is on it's own meter. This is the usual shared well arrangement.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:10 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,095,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
If the guy is moving and the issue is resolved, what is the point of this thread?
The point is this: for rural living, the most important aspect is having good neighbors. Anyone considering a move to the sticks needs to say that ten times a day. One bad neighbor can turn your rural Xanadu into hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living