Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times

Advertisements

The city-folk solution here would be to place a lien on the neighbor's property for the amount of the unpaid bill and the cost of the lien. If it goes another year unpaid, place another lien. You'll get to collect on the lien when the neighbor's property is sold, because the title can't transfer to a new owner as long as your lien is in place.

The reality is that a year in arrears on the bill is less than the cost of placing a lien. It's probably simpler/cheaper in the long run to eat the cost. If you're patient person, go with the lien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,130,024 times
Y'all don't live rural enough sounds like. No neighbors makes for peace/quiet. No one to share a well with. No neighbors junkers out front and no HOA to deal with. No one to hear the screams at night......

Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
I looked at a house for sale a few years ago that I found out was on a shared well/spring water supply with a couple other houses. The way it came about was all three (I believe it was 3 but may have been 4) houses were originally owned/built by members of the same family over the course of many years and they just tapped into the same water source each time they added a house. Well that was all fine and good when it was all one family with most likely Mom and Dad or Grandad paying for and maintaining the well and equipment and not bothering anyone else with it. Jump 20 or 30 years into the future as family members pass away and houses start getting sold and others move and all of the sudden you have random people not related to each other sharing the same water source. Once I found out about that, I was out. I was no longer interested at all in that property even though the house was pretty nice.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:16 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Mike, Matthew and Norma,

How come John Denver did not mention troubles and incidents like the one's above in his song "Thank God I'm A Country Boy"?

In fact are there ANY Country/Western musicians where the lyrics of the song are:

"Well the driveway's full of beater cars, fridges on lawn,... they're drunk at any hour of the day, and then cook meth till dawn;... The dog just dropped another load, on my pristine grass,... while his owner stands at my barnyard door, naked to the A*******"

And... I occasionally pick up a copy of "Country Living" magazine in my local library and peruse, no articles covering these matters....

LOL! But John Denver didn't write the song; he only sang it. John Sommers (the fiddle player on the track) wrote it.

We're semi-rural now. So we can visit the meth, dead car hoarders, and other rural attractions without going too far. Joy.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 AM

264 posts, read 200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Have your two neighbors install their own electric to access the well.

No,doesn't work that way. One pump in the well has to be connected to one power source. Unless 3 different pumps could be installed (unlikely in most situations), having 3 sources of power to feed the one pump won't work.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:59 PM

305 posts, read 241,563 times
OP here, lots of good advice here thanks for the comments, I played the long game and he is moving so I am very happy. I will never buy another place with a shared well. Too much hassle.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:27 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Y'all don't live rural enough sounds like. No neighbors makes for peace/quiet. No one to share a well with. No neighbors junkers out front and no HOA to deal with. No one to hear the screams at night......
That makes me think of the lines from the movie "The Haunting": "Nobody lives any closer than town. no one will come any closer than that. In the night. In the dark...."

Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you can pick your friends but you cant pick your neighbours.
With the way folks have been describing the people living next door on this thread, maybe the saying should be....

"you can't pick your neighbors, but you can watch them pick their nose!"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
LOL! But John Denver didn't write the song; he only sang it. John Sommers (the fiddle player on the track) wrote it.

We're semi-rural now. So we can visit the meth, dead car hoarders, and other rural attractions without going too far. Joy.
Thanks for the info, didn't know JD did not write it. I suspect many rural folks hoard cars so they can scavenge parts from several "donors" to keep one or two running. A water pump from this one, starter/alternator from another, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
OP here, lots of good advice here thanks for the comments, I played the long game and he is moving so I am very happy. I will never buy another place with a shared well. Too much hassle.
Mike, my C-D namesake "ShouldIMoveOrStayPut" was actually formulated when I joined C-D back in 2008 because I was anticipating moving from N.Y. to Utah. I actually made several trips out there and went around with a few Real Estate agents. The agents didn't tell me, but one local I met said it is literally like the Wild West regarding water shares/rights, and serious (sometimes lethal) feuds have gone on over them.

Water shares weren't the reason, but I ultimately decided not to make the move...

Old 04-18-2019, 02:12 AM

372 posts, read 220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
you can pick your friends but you cant pick your neighbours.
Yair, just like family.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
We own a small piece of rural land. A few years ago the opportunity arose to buy out (yes!!) the bad neighbor. We actually ended up with three of the neighbors bidding against each other for his land, everyone wanted him out of there and didn't want anyone of his family to end up with it out of fear he would just move back in. We ended up buying the parcel. The month after he was gone, we had the house knocked down. Nothing there for him to even try to squat, just a concrete slab.

Also the petty crime and brush fires mysteriously stopped at the same time.

If you can afford it, it's one sure way to solve the problem. Sooner or later the unpaid taxes will get 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living