Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 06:01 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I am not enamored of deer, but I greatly prefer them to the human kind of trespassers, whch is what hunters violating property rights are. Private land is not open for hunting unless the owner explicitly grants permission. This is not an opt-out situation! The former owners’ attitudes do not automatically roll over to the next owner. He has NO right to give permission for someone else’s property, and those who insist that “custom” allows them to treat an ex-owner as if he still owns it are in the wrong legally.

You can bet there will be those who insist that custom or “historic use” trumps law, that those who won’t allow hunting are not “country” and should move to the city, blahblahblah. But property rights include forbidding someone from hunting on your own land, period.

You might need to grow a thick skin. I don’t care if self-proclaimed locals do not like “my kind.” Property rights do not accrue only to “preferred kinds” of people. And ALL of us pay property taxes.

As for deer population, natural predation usually balances things out over the ups and downs...unless people kill too many of them.
well in Texas deer populations typically grow to the point where the natural habitat or ecosystem cant support them anymore and most of them die off due to starvation and disease.Not many wild animals kill deer in the Lone Star State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 06:19 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Laws vary from state to state. In Vermont, hunters can trespass unless the land is posted. In Alabama, hunters have to get WRITTEN permission from a landowner before entering the land, AND As long as the landowner notifies of unusual hazards, such as an old well or other man made hazard, they have no liability if guests on the property hurt themselves. No one can shoot within 500 ft of a residence. I like the Alabama laws. They put home insurers and lawyers in their proper place.

There are coon hunters that come up my creek at night sometimes. I don't mind them, as they are doing free pest control. Deer are safe on my property in general, but there are crops around and deer blinds, so their numbers are culled as they roam. With chronic wasting near the area, that is a good thing. The one group I won't tolerate are the ginseng hunters and scrap metal hunters. I've shot a few rounds into the ground to make my feelings known. Haven't had any more problems in quite a while.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
well in Texas deer populations typically grow to the point where the natural habitat or ecosystem cant support them anymore and most of them die off due to starvation and disease.Not many wild animals kill deer in the Lone Star State.
Not even the wild boars.........darn it!

Of the wild animals I see on my land, it's deer, wild boar, foxes (grey/silver & bushy red), raccoon & opossum (indications such as poop & footprints), buzzards, bird of prey, snakes, lizards and then the things that sting such wasps, scorpions (LOTS OF SCORPIONS), hornets, black widows, and fire ants. I have seen owls around other ranches and the biggest diamond back rattlesnake I've seen crossing the road. No doubt such things can be on my land as well (another reason why I don't go exploring), but we haven't crossed paths yet on it.

NOW, what I did see out in the backyard once when I came home was a pair bighorn sheep...but I figured they were visiting from another ranch, perhaps someone who had Emus or something.

If the deer leave my ranch and get shot elsewhere (my neighbor from the next ranch over once knocked on my door for permission to search my land for one his son had shot), c'est la vie. I just want my land to be a preserve......though I don't set out corn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
........ I've shot a few rounds into the ground to make my feelings known. Haven't had any more problems in quite a while.
it's over 10 acres. I can shoot on my land if I want, just haven't yet.......and of course, I hear other people shooting on other ranches.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Of the wild animals I see on my land, it's deer, wild boar, foxes (grey/silver & bushy red), raccoon & opossum (indications such as poop & footprints), buzzards, bird of prey, snakes, lizards and then the things that sting such wasps, scorpions (LOTS OF SCORPIONS), hornets, black widows, and fire ants. I have seen owls around other ranches and the biggest diamond back rattlesnake I've seen crossing the road. No doubt such things can be on my land as well (another reason why I don't go exploring), but we haven't crossed paths yet on it.

NOW, what I did see out in the backyard once when I came home was a pair bighorn sheep...but I figured they were visiting from another ranch, perhaps someone who had Emus or something.

If the deer leave my ranch and get shot elsewhere (my neighbor from the next ranch over once knocked on my door for permission to search my land for one his son had shot), c'est la vie. I just want my land to be a preserve......though I don't set out corn.

it's over 10 acres. I can shoot on my land if I want, just haven't yet.......and of course, I hear other people shooting on other ranches.
rifle season hasnt started yet so i dont think those shooters on other ranches would be shooting at deer.However, a ethical person and hunter would respect your wishes.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:29 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Oh, I lived in a town where the deer population was crazily out of whack, due to very low speed limits, hardly any natural predators, ubiquitous gardens growing all year (retirement town), AND prohibition of fences more than 6’ high. Let’s not forget the many idiots who deliberately fed the deer.

Fortunately, here there are wild predators to keep deer numbers from getting ridiculous. And legitimate hunting, which I have no gripe with. Trespassers and poachers, however...

If a deer comes what I consider too close to our house, I run at it. It runs away, the proper response. In the other town, the deer just stood still as if thinking someone was bringing them a treat.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:17 AM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:

Regardless of your feelings about hunting you should get yourself a hog gun and whack every one you see or, if you don't want to do that, allow hunters onto your land to do it.

We don't "officially" have them in SoMD but more than one has been killed within a mile of my oldest daughter's house 40 miles south of me (the same way we "officially" don't have bears here. Except there have been several killed on the roads the last few years).

This is a recent news report from an adjoining County. The pigs were originally pets that were released and now there's a breeding population.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...538196162.html

Old 10-13-2019, 07:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Regardless of your feelings about hunting you should get yourself a hog gun and whack every one you see or, if you don't want to do that, allow hunters onto your land to do it.

We don't "officially" have them in SoMD but more than one has been killed within a mile of my oldest daughter's house 40 miles south of me (the same way we "officially" don't have bears here. Except there have been several killed on the roads the last few years).

This is a recent news report from an adjoining County. The pigs were originally pets that were released and now there's a breeding population.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...538196162.html

I don't have personal feelings against hunting....elsewhere....and probably have a hog gun in inventory. Will an AR-10 work?

Old 10-13-2019, 09:05 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Ethical hunters ask permission, unless state laws grant access.

There was a five point, (10 point eastern count) bull elk that walked across my place yesterday morning. Elk season hasn't opened yet, or he'd be in the freezer now. Lots of mule deer and pronghorn antelope on my place, coyotes, rabbits, bobcat, several species of game birds like sharptail grouse, several species of Hawks, eagles and owls too.

I love wildlife and seeing them, but they're also destructive if numbers go unchecked. They can destroy a grain crop or hay meant for the cows overnight.
Yeah we have a lot of predators, but there are so many animals they're a real hazard on the road.
A semi hit a cow elk a few weeks ago, killed both the elk and the truck, but the elk was still in the road when I came up. I couldn't Dodge it, so I hit it and went over it. Hell of a bump....
I had my truck so we were alright, but a car would have been totaled and the occupants possibly killed or injured.

That does happen here.

If you don't want to have hunters to hunt on your place, post it.

I have 160 acres of crops and livestock. Since it's pretty open, I allow archery hunters access, or shotgun/black powder/ crossbow and handgun hunters, but only a select few people I know and trust can use rifles.
That's just a safety measure until I know the hunter is ethical enough to not accidentally shoot towards the house.

It's your land, it's your call. You don't have to allow access if you don't want to for whatever reason.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:49 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
In Maine hunting is not allowed within 100-yards from any dwelling.

Though a couple times we have had hunters running dogs, dogs do not understand property boundaries so they were charging through the dense forest and came out suddenly next to my house. It is easy to get turned around when running through the forest. When I hear them coming I usually go outside and fire a couple rounds into the dirt, just to alert the hunter that he is not alone.

Two days ago we had a moose in our driveway at zero-dark-thirty. It got our dogs in a tizzy.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I don't have personal feelings against hunting....elsewhere....and probably have a hog gun in inventory. Will an AR-10 work?
AR-10 would work wonders on hogs i would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living